+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Stormcaller PvP Guide

Default Stormcaller PvP Guide

Hi again guys, there has been much talk about Stormcaller since 1.4 with the addition of Lightning Blast so:

http://bluedots.org/2011/08/20/pvp-stormcaller-1-4/

Please note that this is a very squishey build and that the 2 points spent in Hastened Withdrawel could be put in Ele if you prefer!

Thanks again to bluedot for hosting
    Last edited by Arcanas; 08-20-2011 at 03:56 AM.
    -Cane
    Arcanas - Co-Leader of Purge to Win, Bloodiron Guardian PvPvE Guild.
    Hammerknell 11/11, World #5th Akylios

Rift Master

I'm sure it's a functional build in PvP, and it's plug and play for any mage but it's not what I'd consider min-maxed.

For optimal play, the Macros are cumbersome, and there is no building storm which is super weird. Take those 3 points out of Electrocute (useless skill) and into Building Storm so you can play with stronger ABs and Hailstorms.

Nevertheless, 51/15 Stormcaller I consider to be stronger if your crit is up to it, and really this is a pvp damage build for P6+ so it should be. HW is great, but when you have Ride the Wind, it's better for your toolbox to lose HW and pick up the extra % cold damage, Eye of the Storm, and the extra hitpoints from zero archon.

Spiking with Lightning Burst is cool but if you're ignoring Building Storm in conjunction with AB, Hailstorm and Eye of the Storm you're missing half of Stormcaller's PVP toolbox.

Plane Touched

51SC is fun, but requires lots of charge and his on a long CD, against good teams, it's still useful but less effective (you just use it as a add dmg to your single target burst, or to make more pressure ).

I personally use this build :

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...tssdR.xx0R0f.m

BS is a must, no point putting points in ice spells buff if you're not taking BS.
    Static Barrier is greater multiples melees (it doesn't trigger DR is targets if not on DR ).
    Permafrost is also greater (but can't be removed to take more points in Artic Chill ).

Now about rotation, unless you're hitting someone with low hp/low rank, you won't kill anyone by yourself with just a Lightning Burst rotation. You need to cast 1/2 Ice spells before (Icicle+AB, Icicle x2, ... 1 should be enough, depending on target's HP and crit ).

And ofc, you need high crit (45%+) + high SP, or you'll just rage most of the time, because you'll do ridiculous dmg for a long setup time.

SC spec is good, but Pyro is better most the time (better dps ), both are good as assist, but ones again SC take to much time to setup big burst unlike pyro. Where SC shines is when you need heavy burst against well healed targets.
    Last edited by Darkhain; 08-20-2011 at 05:12 AM.

I found static barrier totally usless, Immune, Immune, Immune.

Yes BS provides additional tools but the setup times and more complex rotation make this for more experienced players only, not those who would require a guide!

Electrocutre is by no means usless, many times I have knocked away a melee, rooted him then hit him very hard with LB!

I'll say it again, this is a group pvp spec. Saying "you wont kill anything solo" is meaningless.

"You need to cast 1/2 Ice spells before (Icicle+AB, Icicle x2,"

What?? Err, no! Why waste time with repeated Icicles when you can be hitting very hard with the basic rotation.

In PvP You dont have the luxury of 10+ second PvE setup times, this spec can deliver a 3k+ hit on most classes/ranks with around 6 second setup time which is great for group pvp as you are not the only player hitting the target.
    Last edited by Arcanas; 08-20-2011 at 08:24 AM.
    -Cane

Plane Touched

You have enough KB tools, and Electrocute is bugged.
    If you're playing in team, depending on what is your dps assist, you may (and will ) need more burst, if you want to go down people with 7-8K hp (R8 geared ) who have heavy heals on them.
    Now even more, when you have electrified more than 1 target, and switching to an other (after killing ie ), you'll be able to directly burst it with ice spells without wasting directly Lightning Burst.
    With time traveling, nothing better than 2 bolt (or 1bolt + LB) coming and hitting your target in a row for insane dmg.
    Now of course everything is situational.

Points in ice spells affect hailstorm also, so what do you do?

BS On, Forked x3, Ice Shear, SF On, AB, BS Off, LB, SF Off?

Much more complex rotation and harder to produce in PvP.
    -Cane

Sword of Telara Chancellor Gowron's Avatar

Seriously, does noone here use building storm with Eye of the Storm? It's my favorite ability in pvp right now and when used properly it is a straight up raid boss aoe. With building storm it ticks 1200-2200 (or much more with proper electrify/ice shear) on EACH TARGET up to ten targets like 6-8 times in a row AND snares them for 75% AND you can channel lightning storm while it's ticking. When used correctly it's far far more ridiculous that cabalist Asias ever was.

Anyone who says aoe damage in useless in pvp hasn't had the pleasure of wiping an entire caster stack in about 3 seconds with this ability.
    Last edited by Chancellor Gowron; 08-20-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chancellor Gowron View Post
    Seriously, does noone here use building storm with Eye of the Storm? It's my favorite ability in pvp right now and when used properly it is a straight up raid boss aoe. With building storm it ticks 1200-2200 (or much more with proper electrify/ice shear) on EACH TARGET up to ten targets like 6-8 times in a row AND snares them for 75% AND you can channel lightning storm while it's ticking. When used correctly it's far far more ridiculous that cabalist Asias ever was.

Anyone who says aoe damage in useless in pvp hasn't had the pleasure of wiping an entire caster stack in about 3 seconds with this ability.
    Shhh!

I tried to drop hints so others would 'discover' this.

When they changed BS to a buff from a debuff they also changed the way it works. Before BS would make only the first tick of hailstorm crit, now it makes every hit, crit.

This is a major change!

Ok guys I hear you, I will take another look at 51sc!

My spec is by far easier to play well than 51sc, though I do agree BS and EotS is awsome AoE.
    Last edited by Arcanas; 08-20-2011 at 05:24 PM.
    -Cane

Plane Walker

Been using a similar build since 1.4 came out.

Went 20 AM, if you have a lot of spell power you will get focused, phase shift does help in those situations.

Went 2 dom for quick thinking, 1.5 sec lightning bursts.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanas View Post
    Points in ice spells affect hailstorm also, so what do you do?

BS On, Forked x3, Ice Shear, SF On, AB, BS Off, LB, SF Off?

Much more complex rotation and harder to produce in PvP.
    Yes, this does 8k damage within a 1sec window on a 900 valor target.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Rift Master

Pretty much, if you want 1 button pvp, warriors are that way --->

Hotkey it all, commit to muscle memory, win.

Ascendant

why post these guides?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Chancellor Gowron View Post

Do you wait to rebuild 100 charge after building 5 stacks of Building Storm so you get the maximum amount of ticks of Eye of the Storm? It feels a bit juggling to get to that point. The Building Storm buff timer seems a bit short, don't you think. These points aside, this combo has dropped some pretty lulz damage, thanks for the tip =)

Sword of Telara Chancellor Gowron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fwosty View Post
    Do you wait to rebuild 100 charge after building 5 stacks of Building Storm so you get the maximum amount of ticks of Eye of the Storm? It feels a bit juggling to get to that point. The Building Storm buff timer seems a bit short, don't you think. These points aside, this combo has dropped some pretty lulz damage, thanks for the tip =)
    Yea i do try to bulid up to 100 charge after stacking BS, especially since i use static flux with it as well. (turning off static flux right after the cast) Yea the timer is pretty short on it and every time you get feared you usually have to start over. Also if you get even 1 dps on you sometimes you have to abandon the whole affair and blow your charge with ride the wind.

Another thing that makes it really difficult is that pure stormcaller bulids charge much slower than a warlock or chloromancer or even sc/ele. 51/15 sc/am has a whopping 6 different abilities that require charge so charge management can be a huge pain anyway. You can get major charge potions from the AH or scarwood fight daily for +60 charge.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast