+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [PvP] Deep Necro Build?

Default [PvP] Deep Necro Build?

Been toying with this for most of the night and I'm doing extremely well. Someone surely must've tried a similar build before but it seems Split Personality and Empowered Darkness are overshadowing any Necro builds lately.

44 Necro / 21 Warlock / 1 Archmage

The above build has many notable advantages as I see it.
    • Pet + DoT based means extra mobility and uninterrupted damage.
    • Great Damage cooldowns in Lich Form, Sac Life: Damage, and EtC
    • Still reaches Shadow Life and Mortality for better survivability.
    • Good anti-healer debuffs in Essence Link (30% Heal Debuff) and Last Gasp (Decent DoT which gains up to 5 stacks every time the target is healed, building up to an excellent damage and refreshing it's duration!)

I was seeing my pet critting players for upwards of 1K with 5x DC stacks + Necrosis + LD + Lich Form.

What do you guys think? I thought I would miss the 15% damage from AM more but as it doesn't effect the pets it doesn't seem as big a loss as more pet damage or Shadow Life would be.

---

So my Codex queue popped while typing everything above the jump. Here's the results of my Codex (which we actually lost) while using this spec.

I think I'm in love.

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/1...0820031750.jpg

In-case you have trouble telling where I am on the scoreboard; I am the second from the top with 16 kills / 2 deaths.

Also check out my damage taken, healing done and healing received. That amount healed is from Essence Link and Soul Purge and if you notice damage received, healing done and received are almost exactly the same. This shows you that I healed myself as opposed to getting carried by Clerics.

Damage Taken: 35,650
    Healing Done: 38,979
    Healing Received: 31,039

I may have swapped Healing Done and Received. (Sorry forget which icon is what, heh.) You get the point though.

This spec really stands its ground and the pet puts out so much damage during Soul Purge. I found that 51 Warlock is excellent damage but the issue is that if you stop to Mortality or Soul Purge or you get silenced or stunned -- they get healed... you die.

With this spec they can do whatever they like to you but the damage doesn't stop on them and the more actions they take and healing they receive the more damage they take while being under the effects of a 30% heal debuff.

My new spec, indeed.
    Last edited by Ozamet; 08-19-2011 at 11:26 PM.

I should point out that I moved 1 point from Master Chirugeon into Vengeful Spirit. I've since seen Oblivion crits for 1.2k while under the effects of Lich Form. Ruination makes for some great AoE stacked on top of Grave Rot, Corpse Explosion and DS as well.

For PvP, Vengeful Spirit is definitely worth it.
    Last edited by Ozamet; 08-20-2011 at 12:41 AM.

It would work if Deathly Calling wasn't such a stupidly impractical debuff to stack in PVP. They should make Plague Bolt a 1.5 second cast.
    Last edited by GLopez; 08-20-2011 at 02:46 AM.

Oh, it does work and you honestly don't need to bother with DC stacks unless you're looking to AoE with a Shadow Revanent out; in which case you'd be stacking it fairly easily with Grave Rot.

Shadowlander

I like this idea, one question - why spec Improved Void Bolt and Deadly Plague, are you using Void Bolt or Plague Bolt?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozamet View Post
    Been toying with this for most of the night and I'm doing extremely well. Someone surely must've tried a similar build before but it seems Split Personality and Empowered Darkness are overshadowing any Necro builds lately.

44 Necro / 21 Warlock / 1 Archmage

The above build has many notable advantages as I see it.
    • Pet + DoT based means extra mobility and uninterrupted damage.
    • Great Damage cooldowns in Lich Form, Sac Life: Damage, and EtC
    • Still reaches Shadow Life and Mortality for better survivability.
    • Good anti-healer debuffs in Essence Link (30% Heal Debuff) and Last Gasp (Decent DoT which gains up to 5 stacks every time the target is healed, building up to an excellent damage and refreshing it's duration!)

I was seeing my pet critting players for upwards of 1K with 5x DC stacks + Necrosis + LD + Lich Form.

What do you guys think? I thought I would miss the 15% damage from AM more but as it doesn't effect the pets it doesn't seem as big a loss as more pet damage or Shadow Life would be.

---

So my Codex queue popped while typing everything above the jump. Here's the results of my Codex (which we actually lost) while using this spec.

I think I'm in love.

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/1...0820031750.jpg

In-case you have trouble telling where I am on the scoreboard; I am the second from the top with 16 kills / 2 deaths.

Also check out my damage taken, healing done and healing received. That amount healed is from Essence Link and Soul Purge and if you notice damage received, healing done and received are almost exactly the same. This shows you that I healed myself as opposed to getting carried by Clerics.

I may have swapped Healing Done and Received. (Sorry forget which icon is what, heh.) You get the point though.

This spec really stands its ground and the pet puts out so much damage during Soul Purge. I found that 51 Warlock is excellent damage but the issue is that if you stop to Mortality or Soul Purge or you get silenced or stunned -- they get healed... you die.

With this spec they can do whatever they like to you but the damage doesn't stop on them and the more actions they take and healing they receive the more damage they take while being under the effects of a 30% heal debuff.

My new spec, indeed.
    You're looking at a spec that Me (guardian) and Jacko (defiant) used to Dominate our Battlegroup at the start of the game (faemist)

You changed it a little and went for a bit more survivability with shadow life

I personally would alter it and run a build more like this

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...tVtohs.xxoAk0o

If you wanted Shadow's Life...

You don't really need Empty the Crypts (infact I would highly suggest not using ETC in PVP as killing those pets gives your enemy blood thirsty) You also do not need Void Bolt, if you're using any nuke, it'll be plague bolt period.

you could technically change the build even more, not use the pvp soul, drop your points out of plague bolt and instead pickup Archon as your 3rd soul for PS for damage and debuff + plus the extra dot/hp

However I don't view 44 Necro a Survivability build, You get most things on ya, you're probably pretty screwed. You have to look at it as a DPS build as a whole.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...tVtohs.xx0Gk.x

Is the Build both me and jacko ran.

the whole idea is your main source of killing power is flat out Last Gasp. It is what causes Targets to die....

It has been nerfed though, before 1.3 It ended at the 30 second cooldown mark on the target period, so you had to reapply it at that point, and you couldn't have it on multiple targets.

it no longer does this, It now lasts till they stop healing it, or till they cure it. However at the same time, This ability no longer crits, which I view as a Bug.

Before the patch when it could crit, it was a FAR FAR better spell... it did way more damage and you could actually kill targets with it far more effectively. Now you can apply it to multiple targets, but it's just fluff damage on the score board.. it can be easily healed by most healers in this game, where as before it could easily win you fights.

Still, focusing on a target with this spec, unless it's getting a crap ton of heals, you'll mow through them rather quickly.

It's a very nasty spec even after the nerf.
    Xsorus - Rank 8 Mage/Server Seastone/Guardian/Guild - Desolate

This is a video we took in April, both Mages in this video ran the spec I listed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=500GjPlCg_Y

Telaran

I've run similar builds likes this before and I really enjoy necromancer as a whole.

I have even tried 51 Necro 15 Lock for a while , because Mass graves is so fun to use; however, its such a ****ty CD and for 51 points I HATE that I cant control my pets. They really need to change this talent.

I use 51 Necro for raiding and for pvp I normally use some sort of necro/lock/AM split.

I think 44 Necro is very viable but you need to have a good team, or a healer as you can be focused down quite easily.

Rift Chaser

I think Last Gasp is criminally underrated. If it reaches 5 stacks, the ticks do a lot of damage, and the spell coefficient is only slightly worse than necrosis.

Combined with essence link, you can almost completely lock down any healer you come across.
    Last edited by Void Seraphi; 08-20-2011 at 08:40 AM.
    You can't get there from here, Alice.

Quote Originally Posted by Riftforpresident View Post
    I've run similar builds likes this before and I really enjoy necromancer as a whole.

I have even tried 51 Necro 15 Lock for a while , because Mass graves is so fun to use; however, its such a ****ty CD and for 51 points I HATE that I cant control my pets. They really need to change this talent.

I use 51 Necro for raiding and for pvp I normally use some sort of necro/lock/AM split.

I think 44 Necro is very viable but you need to have a good team, or a healer as you can be focused down quite easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozamet
    Not quite so easily.

This is why you take Shadow Life. Used it if you're expecting heavy damage and have lost 40% or more of your health. I find ideally it is best to use Shadow Life at 70% health which is guaranteed to take you back to full without to much overheal.

Also, Soul Purge consumes charge much slower than it used to. I can complete roughly 2 & 1/3 Soul Purges with 100 Charge now.

Also, make sure you have Essence Link on your target. The Zealot hits very often and the multiple hits from his abilities all proc Essence Link individually. If I'm not heal debuffed Essence Link is crit healing me for roughly 170HP per tick and sometimes higher when the Zealot lands a good 980 crit Blood Spike.

All in all, you could take this build down a more offensive road and squeeze more damage out of it. However, with all the immunity cooldowns and gap closers that rogues and warriors have I would much rather have my 10K HP ready to go. Shadow Life has saved my Life more than once.

As far as Plague Bolt vs Void Bolt goes. Plague is slow in comparison and in addition to the 0.5 seconds longer it takes to cast it deals roughly 500 less damage non-crit than a Void Bolt does. The difference between PB and VB spam becomes much more obvious when you have Trinket + Lich Form + Sac Life: Dmg running. It is worth the cast time reduction for sure.

In previous patches I may have built this spec differently but in 1.4 the minimal amount of damage you can squeeze out will not out weigh your ability to stay alive while Cleanse Soul or blackout fades away. I've killed VK/Champs with this spec simply because of Shadow Life outlasting their cooldowns.

I tried it, and I got similar results, but it still felt like a worse version of the 44 warlock / 16 necromancer / 5 archmage build. Not having Neddra's Essence or Mass Fear just sucks.
    Last edited by GLopez; 08-20-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GLopez View Post
    I tried it, and I got similar results, but it still felt like a worse version of the 44 warlock / 16 necromancer / 5 archmage build. Not having Neddra's Essence or Mass Fear just sucks.
    Both builds play a bit differently, if Last Gasp still crit and wasn't bugged like that, it was be far better then the 44 lock build.

Soulwalker

I like this spec (well similar, i moved some points around) only thing im torn with is if i should use plague bolt or void, tried it with both and can't decide which is better heh.

+ Reply to Thread