+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Soul sky

Thread: burning ground vs firestorm damage output

Plane Walker

Default burning ground vs firestorm damage output

The tooltips for both say ~760 (can't remember the exact figure but they are identical) damage over 8 seconds.
    However BG hits for about 250 per tick whereas Firestorm hits for about 750 per tick.
    The ticks are the same 2 secs apart.

So why is one doing 3x the damage of the other? I keep expecting this to be fixed each update, but it hasn't been.

For reference I have about 980 SP.

Quote Originally Posted by CreepyD View Post
    The tooltips for both say ~760 (can't remember the exact figure but they are identical) damage over 8 seconds.
    However BG hits for about 250 per tick whereas Firestorm hits for about 750 per tick.
    The ticks are the same 2 secs apart.

So why is one doing 3x the damage of the other? I keep expecting this to be fixed each update, but it hasn't been.

For reference I have about 980 SP.
    Perhaps fire storm has a much higher spell coefficient? Just a guess. Wait til someone more knowledgable shows up :P
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Telaran

After much deliberation between me and my other pyros, we have concluded either one of two things.

1) Burning ground is an "earth" spell and therefore does not receive any bonus from pyro tree.
    Tooltip says "lava spews forth blah blah" and we can assume since lava is just really really hot rock it's earth. EVEN THOUGH THE GROUND IS ON FIRE -.- lookin at you trion. If you wanted to make an earthen AOE should have called it earthquake or some ****, not BURNING ground.

2) It's broke.

The choice is yours.

Plane Walker

Oh that could be it I guess, but it does say specifically 'Fire Damage'.
    I guess the tooltip is just broken.
    I wondered if it was part of the recent change to channeled / charge using abilities giving them more DPS, but then they forgot to update the tooltip.

I was noticing this on my mage alt, also, but I assumed it was an issue with spellpower coefficients. (Which is to say, that Burning Grounds coefficient sucks royally.)

Though it makes sense that the channeled spell has a better one, given that it's costlier if interrupted. Once Burning Ground is on the ground, everything in it takes damage. You can lose half or more of your firestorm if you get interrupted.

I eventually divorced my Elementalist and Pyromancer builds, when they removed the hp reduction on Burning Bright. Now my Elementalist aoes with Stormcaller spells - and her Lightning Strike hits like a truck.
    "You're right. Technically he has the right to cry about it. And I have the right to mock him for crying about something stupid." ~Bridgeburner
    "Try to hate other people less, you might enjoy life more." ~Tenet

73 Likes , 1 Infraction, Liked 228 posts, and counting...

Rift Chaser

The spell coefficient on Burning Ground is appaling.
    You can't get there from here, Alice.

Plane Walker

So that means SP affects Firestorm more than it does BG?
    Thinking about it BG has a cast time of 2 secs.
    Firestorm has a cast time of 8 secs, ie the whole length of the spell being it's channeled so SP affects it more.

Quote Originally Posted by CreepyD View Post
    BG has a cast time of 2 secs.
    Firestorm has a cast time of 8 secs, ie the whole length of the spell being it's channeled so SP affects it more.
    This is the reason FS > BG, and always will.
    <Disturbance> @Vigil
    Had a dream, I was King; I woke up, still King.
    Wizards never die.

Telaran

Burning Ground is a Fire spell, as it's affected by the Pyro cast time reduction on Fire spells.

And while the coefficient on BG is pretty bad, it's a fire and forget skill. You can put BG down and then cast Firestorm on the same spot.

I just wish it was instant cast, or 1.5s cast at most.

As is mentioned the spell coefficients for BG and FS are very different.
    BG's coefficient is 19.7*
    FS's coefficient is 159.7

Therefore Firestorm gains ~8x the bonus damage per point of spellpower than Burning Ground does.

*Figures taken from http://www.editgrid.com/user/treplos...List_v3.8_View
    Nope.

Soulwalker

You can combine them, since the entire 4 ticks of BG requires 2 sec cast and FS is an 8 sec channeled, perfect CD match, the qustion is wheter or not this is beneficial, if BG is more than 1 FS tick, it should be good

They are both 5 ticks, over 8 seconds. As far as I remember when I made the tests for both, the first tick is instant, then 1 tick every 2 seconds.

As a comparion point:

BG tick = 156, in 2s (cast and forget) = 593
    FS tick = 422, in 2s = 422

So, I would say at 950 SP, casting BG first is not a DPS loss.
    This may change at higher SP values, since FS scales much better. I may do another test run for the whole list in the future with 1200+ SP.
    Last edited by Atavus; 08-21-2011 at 06:46 AM.
    Fatality - lvl 50 Mage
    PVP 5/8, DH 4/4, GP 4/4, GSB 5/5, ROS 4/4, RotP 4/4, HK 11/11

My MAGE GEAR LIST v5.5 ▓

Out of date and retired

----------------------------------------

Courtesy of Bluedots, my gear list now has a new home!! You can view and download it from a single place, which makes things easier for everyone Please use this link from now on, as all the updates will go directly there:

http://bluedots.org/mage-gear-list/

----------------------------------------

Also, v3.9 is out!

v3.9 Change Log::

General Changes:

- A small design change: added 2 new columns (A and B) at the start to allow anyone an easier way to visually track items they currently own (and the number of these items when applicable).

These columns require user input: just type a "+" to the left of the item you currently own. The item name and its sorting values will be automatically bolded. That is all it does. You can also type the number of items you have (like Rings) under "Column A: #". That will be just for your own record.

I did this change simply to facilite visual tracking of owned items, and also to reduce the entries in the list by removing my personal items from the start of each section and integrating the tracking into the list itself. This change does not affect any calculations or anything else. (Thanks Fraktyl for the idea).

- Amended Legends sheet to reflect above changes.

- Updated the Note for "Ethian Oscillating Hydraulic Staff" with drop source. [Thanks pik]
    - Updated notes for "Lifebound Relic" with more info.

Gear List - Added:

- The Order of the Eye's Clairvoyant Rune & its Defiant equivalent (Rune - Feet). [Thanks obscur]
    - Ring of Primal Waters (Ring).

Enjoy,
    Rez
    Last edited by Atavus; 08-21-2011 at 06:41 PM.
    Fatality - lvl 50 Mage

My MAGE GEAR LIST v5.5 ▓

Out of date and retired

ooops ... wrong post GMs plz delete my post above lol
    Last edited by Atavus; 08-21-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    Fatality - lvl 50 Mage

My MAGE GEAR LIST v5.5 ▓

Out of date and retired

Ascendant

Lava Field

+ Reply to Thread