+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Xynvyctus

Thread: I am fairly certain i suck at dps

Soulwalker

Default I am fairly certain i suck at dps

I seem to do well on my own i mostly play solo since i only have an hour or 2 here and there 3 or 4 times a week but when i do play i can take 2 or 3 mobs at a time that are anywhere from my level to 3 - 5 levels above me and do so with minimal downtime. My problem is when i have a little extra time and go in for a group i don't think I am very useful as. At lvl 34 i was in a dungeon with another mage who was pushing a little over 500 on the parser while i was just over 200, I was throwing everything i had at the mobs dropping AOE on the ground every chance it came up and just over all nuking the hell out of it with fireballs and instant casts when they were up / proced. now my gear isn't all that great but at this level it really doesn't seem that important. So with that in mind do i just suck or was that guy just above average?

may the flaming commence

Telaran

make sure you're doing a correct rotation

Rift Disciple

The first questions that come to mind:

1. Are you fully trained in all your spells?
    2. What stats do you have on your weapons?
    3. What buffs do you/did you have running?

If you have not trained your spells or your equipment is weaker then as you get higher this will show. It also depends on how you are spec'd, can you post your spec with where your points are in those specs?

Plane Walker

Obviously what the others touched on is important like being trained and having the proper gear equipped.

A few questions.

What spec were you using? Knowing this will help us discuss your rotation.

Two is this parse a general trash mob parse or a boss fight? The reason I ask is because if it is multiple mobs more than 3 you should be AoEing not fire balling.

Ill check back a bit later, if you would post your spec I can tell you what you should be doing for single target and Multiple mob rotations.

Soulwalker

I am fairly certain i suck at dps-2011-08-17_152754.jpgI am fairly certain i suck at dps-2011-08-17_152743.jpgI am fairly certain i suck at dps-2011-08-17_152802.jpgscreenshots of my stats and spec

Soulwalker

sorry the screenshots look horrible almost totaly useless

Quote Originally Posted by Phenglai View Post
    The first questions that come to mind:

1. Are you fully trained in all your spells?
    2. What stats do you have on your weapons?
    3. What buffs do you/did you have running?
    4. Did you do the right thing rolling a mage for DPS?
    Last edited by RagnarokJC; 08-17-2011 at 06:39 PM.
    Pylos - 51 Mage - Deepstrike
    "I'm gonna eat your f****** heart and your brain and your- I'm gonna f****** r*** your SOUL!!" - Chariot, Operation: Endgame

Plane Walker

looks like your Pyromancer, from the screen shot.

I was actually hoping you would link a zam spec, like this :
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1zIqz.echczuczxo.Vtoz

This is probably what I would Roll with if I were a Pyro at your current level.

Always stand in your ground of Power. If you need to move cast burning shield get in your new spot and re-cast your ground.

For AoE Pulls

While the tank is gathering them up hit one with flamebolt to increase your fire damage for 10 seconds.
    Once they are gathered up, lay down your Firestorm and just keep casting it until there are only 1 or 2 mobs left, interrupt it only for your Inferno to finish off one of the last two. Or any time Cinderburst gets the auto proc.

Always use Internalize charge when full.

Here is a Macro to use while hitting your single target or last few mobs.

#show Fireball
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast flamebolt
    cast fireball

Single Target:

Use Exposure
    spam your new macro until 100 percent charge
    Use Heatwave. Use Internalize Charge.
    Spam Fireball ...
    As always cast Cinderburst if it Procs.

As for charge Use Internalize charge obviously when your about to heatwave, then use Withering Flames, Alternate each one every time you reach 100 charge.

This should increase your DPS.

Soulwalker

i will give that a shot and see how it works

Rift Disciple

I would concur with the above post, I dont know that I would add too much more than 38 to the Pyro tree, keep going in the Elem tree shooting for 28, with the last 3 points in the Tempest, ultimately shooing for this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...ucuxk.Vthz0xkI

I have played Pyro from the beginning and love it. Make sure you keep Pyro Armor on during fights. I learned this a few days ago and it does help proc Cinderburst which is far better than the 5% increase from FIre Armor.

The only thing I disagree with from spyderhawker is the use of Withering Flames. It works ok, but when you fireoff heatwave, the best DPS you can do is spam Fireball for the 15 secs. You should get off 17-18 Fireballs in that time that will hit for larger than withering flames will.

You are on the right track, good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Prophet of Telara

Agreed with above.

Don't waste points in archon for DPS - keep it at 0 and use pillaging stone at the beginning to get the stat boost (you can use it on the test dummies).

Otherwise I can see from your source machine you have two proc greaters. These are a waste - it may sound great to potentially get damage from one of them but putting a lesser with high intelligence instead of them will actually yield greater DPS. Unfortunately as a DPS mage the way forward is 6 lessers.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by AlexTrickle View Post
    Agreed with above.

Don't waste points in archon for DPS - keep it at 0 and use pillaging stone at the beginning to get the stat boost (you can use it on the test dummies).

Otherwise I can see from your source machine you have two proc greaters. These are a waste - it may sound great to potentially get damage from one of them but putting a lesser with high intelligence instead of them will actually yield greater DPS. Unfortunately as a DPS mage the way forward is 6 lessers.
    unless you're a guardian

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Nashiq View Post
    unless you're a guardian
    Well guardians need the help

And to clarify the greater we're talking about is Necrotic Rage but you're unlikely to get that for a while!
    Last edited by AlexTrickle; 08-18-2011 at 09:12 AM.

+ Reply to Thread