+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage leveling without pet viable?

Soulwalker

Default Mage leveling without pet viable?

Hey all,
    i'm sorry if this was discussed before, as i tried looking for it but couldn't find anything.
    I wanted to verify as i am about to roll a mage, are there any build viable for leveling not including a pet in it? i've seen in some discussion that the best leveling process include the pet in the build, but is it that horrible to do it without one?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Satelizer; 08-17-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Satelizer View Post
    Hey all,
    i'm sorry if this was discussed before, as i tried looking for it but couldn't find anything.
    I wanted to verify as i am about to roll a mage, are there any build viable for leveling not including a pet in it? i've seen in some discussion that the best leveling process include the pet in the build, but is it that horrible to do it without one?

Thanks.
    It is possible, not recommended.
    JD - Formerly Archivist
    ||P8 Mage||11/11 HK||
    Breaking Bads @ Seastone
    Recruiting 1 Warrior or Rogue Tank - Apply on the Website!!

Telaran

since kiting and control are lacking in the game, it's pretty obvious that the easiest way to level would be to have something tanking mobs for you.

that being said. you can level with whatever you want and still hit 50. It's not like leveling and questing are hard. you just won't do it optimally and you may have trouble solo'ing quests that call for a partner.

Rift Disciple

I was able to do it just fine and I ran Pyro/Chloro/Archon for my solo build. There were times when it was tough to complete certain quests but there are always people around to help.

Rift Disciple

chloro/warlock would probably work. But nothing will be as efficient without a pet.
    refugee from Corthana and Byriel

I levelled as a chlorolock with no problems. killing single mobs is slow, but once you get devouring shadows you can blow through packs pretty quickly.

of course, for things like rifts i had my girlfriend tanking on a cleric, so i guess technically speaking i levelled by having something else tank for me. :P
    Erymi, Zalfiqar, Veirah, Imyre
    Mage, Rogue, Cleric, Warrior
    Faeblight

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Satelizer View Post
    Hey all,

Thanks.
    I originally tried that and I'll tell you...past the newbie zone, it kinda sucks, especially when you accidentally do a double pull (trust me - no matter how careful you are, it'll happen). The minute you're facing more than one mob, you're toast.

I ended up going Ele/Caller after three frustrating days of dying time and time again, and me and my rock pet have been friends ever since.

Telaran

Warlock/chloro

Warlock as your primary soul, providing mostly offensive but also some defensive options. Chloro gives you an instant cast heal, a charge consuming move that increases all damage by up to 19% while active, and radiant spores which becomes an AoE with phytogenesis. Once you pick up phytogenesis, i'm not sure if it is worth continuing to spend points in chloro.

For a 3rd soul you have:

-necro for necrosis and a passive increase to all death damage
    -elementalist for lightning strike if you decide to get opportunity, and maybe elemental link if you go that far in.
    -archmage for break free in case you get ganked

Shield of Telara

Pyro w/ Necro tank pet ftw.
    Pooshonmyshoos - 60 Mage <Damaged PvPness>
    Imafkdisbich - 60 Warrior <Damaged PvPness>

Either have a pet, and/or chloromancer with you, so:
    -Elementalist
    -Necromancer
    -Chloromancer

One of these. I think anything other than that can be difficult. I have Pyromancer, Elementalist (I put 20ish points in this for Greater Earth Elemental, then rest in Pyromancer), Archon (a couple spells to help). I need drinks and potions on hand, but I kill quick and the pet keeps me alive when otherwise I'd be tissue paper for mobs.

Prophet of Telara

I would not rely on your pet tanking.

I ran with the rogue pets from necro the entire game and made sure the 21st point in necro was for the zealot. The reason they do decent dps with necrosis and looming demise up and otherwise questing is slow. Never had a problem just so long as you have pots with you - would rather spend the money on pots/drinks and be able to do 2 grind quests in the time of one tbh

Telaran

I leveled 'Warlock main/Chloromancer' specifically because I didn't want pets. I had no problems with any mob grouping or most elites. You can hold off entire invasions when you get your groove going. You have so many outs, in a poker sense, to any situation.

Massive health pool bolstered with heals and leeches, Warlock Armor, mana/damage from health, spreading DOTs and targeted/local AoE, Opportunity, etc. It is a pretty powerful combination although some of that is likely that it simply works for the way I play.

At any rate I think you could probably level fine with just Warlock if you played it right.

Rift Disciple

If you are going to solo, you need a way to heal and a way to take hits. There is nothing to debate about those two facts, this is in *any* game you will ever play. Since you choose to solo, you choose to deal with those two limitations/requirements. Therefore you will need souls that provide one or both, both being the least frustrating.

If you plan on grouping often/most of the time, or even "dual-boxing", then you can build whatever you want as long as those two requirements (heal and dmg mitigation) are met by the group.

But to answer your question: Do I have to use a pet to level? No. Its just the least frustrating method, so it would depend on how patient you are and how much frustration you can tolerate.
    Last edited by Pandalerium; 08-20-2011 at 12:45 AM.

Shadowlander

Lock + Chloro and eventually switch to Chloro + Lock. Corrosion + Warlock Armor + Shadows/Morality can really eat up group of mobs. I still prefer an Elementalist for Elites.

+ Reply to Thread