+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: is withering vine useless?

Prophet of Telara

Default is withering vine useless?

It seems to me that it's good for at least 500 heal for the full duration plus doesn't each tick give a chance to proc Opportunity?

Only casts can proc opportunity. Otherwise, every other Warlock spell would probably come as instant cast. If not every.

In my personal opinion, no. I don't use Withering Vines to heal. Pretty much I just throw Radiant Spores out, try to keep it up as best I can, then cast Vile Spores and Nature's Fury unless I'm main tank healing.

Shield of Telara

Withering Vines is useful to cast when no healing is required immediatel. Like on lord greenscale when everyone is full, cast it then when people start having plants spawn on them that hot will be ticking away.

But generally WV is pretty weak.

I don't even put it on my hotbar anymore.
    With LGV, spores, and flourish, you don't really need it or even have time in your rotations to cast it.
    T H E C H R O N I C L E S O F D W I N D A R F

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by sakkath View Post
    Like on lord greenscale when everyone is full, cast it then when people start having plants spawn on them that hot will be ticking away.
    Which in the end might make your HPS chart total look a little better (which sadly is the sole evaluating tool in use when these abilities get implanted/changed), while essentially doing squat in the grander scheme of things that actually matter.

I believe this is version #3 of WV now, and not one yet has been worth inducing the GCD to cast, much the less the cast time involved. At least in pve, as i believe i might happen to use it once a week an attempt to dot a randomly fleeing rogue in open world pvp

Seen numerous solid proposals to at least making it semi useful too, the most obvious and bare minimum being to at least make it an instant cast spell. But with Trion pulling the plug on having a class dev for mages, even simple changes like that is playing out to be a huge hassle nowadays.
    Last edited by Mazam; 08-16-2011 at 08:47 PM.

Shield of Telara

Instant cast WV would be amazing. For PvP anyway. ^.^

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by sakkath View Post
    Instant cast WV would be amazing. For PvP anyway. ^.^
    I wouldn't say amazing, more like "decent". It's a shame because i like the concept of WV, but the current implementation is pretty crap. It either needs to heal for more, or damage for more, or both. If it were instant cast it would see a lot more use, at least in PVP.

Champion

It doesn't do enough HPS.

The only way to make it "semi" viable is to use it on multiple adds so that you get the stacking ticks. I used to use it in expert AP on those damn turtle mobs (remember when they used to nearly 1 shot?) because the frequent stuns prevented any sort of healing rotation.

Other than that, highly situational. You can use it a bit on fights like Alsbeth where you can spam it around on adds during phases where no one is taking much damage.

GSB: 5/5, RoS: 4/4, HK: 10/11
    GP: 4/4, DH: 4/4

WV is pretty weak. There really isn't much you'll get out of it. Like others have said, it's very situational.

What would be nice is if they just made it instant. It wouldn't fix the weakness of the spell, but it would at least get some use, like during movement or in PvP.

Radiant spores on the other hand is very useful, I saw someone mention it. I once saw a 2k+ heal from radiant spores when Hylas did his AoE. My spell landed right after and I was instantly healed back up :P

Sarathor@Byriel Rank 7 Defiant Mage - retired
    Bonqueequee@Byriel Rank 1 Guardian Rogue

Soulwalker

I've been thinking the same thing, lately. Maybe it should get a bonus through phytogenesis that gives a similar effect as RS but with a lower chance to spread to nearby enemies. Like, maybe, 3 other mobs will get hit at a 50% chance when it's maxed. The amount of healing it does may have to be tweaked, but it might make the spell useful.

Prophet of Telara

Thanks, I will remove it from my hotbar.

Soulwalker

I never cast it. The time it takes to cast and the little amount it heals, void life is just better.
    If I run with another chloro in raid I only cast it to get a small upperhand on healing. That is because its so worthless no other chloro casts it.

Soulwalker

Default Stop It.

Withering vines is a great spell. I use it often. However, it is highly situational and doesn't heal for that much. When using the spell you need to ask yourself: How many people will receive the healing, and for how long? In 5 man's, if your group is melee heavy, WV can be pretty money.

During caretaker's fire phase (in Dsm) WV combined with LBV healing will save melee who don't run out. The last boss of AP due to his small radius, pretty much everyone will be healed by it, and will definitely help top your group off after a frozen wrath. Also does a nice job when stacked on adds and combined with corrosion on the last boss of CC.

In my opinion WV is almost a necessity in raid rifts, due to the amount of pbaoe melee takes. Stack it on 3 adds, and watch the numbers fly. The main thing to remember about WV is it has no Target limit and will heal everyone in range. That's big. Granted I can't speak for its use in raids, having never done any, but I find myself casting it often in 5 man's and RR for a little more group healing where applicable.

TL;DR: don't underestimate WV, even tho it heals for little, it can make certain group heal fights easier.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Sickle View Post
    Withering vines is a great spell. I use it often. However, it is highly situational and doesn't heal for that much. When using the spell you need to ask yourself: How many people will receive the healing, and for how long? In 5 man's, if your group is melee heavy, WV can be pretty money.

During caretaker's fire phase (in Dsm) WV combined with LBV healing will save melee who don't run out. The last boss of AP due to his small radius, pretty much everyone will be healed by it, and will definitely help top your group off after a frozen wrath. Also does a nice job when stacked on adds and combined with corrosion on the last boss of CC.

In my opinion WV is almost a necessity in raid rifts, due to the amount of pbaoe melee takes. Stack it on 3 adds, and watch the numbers fly. The main thing to remember about WV is it has no Target limit and will heal everyone in range. That's big. Granted I can't speak for its use in raids, having never done any, but I find myself casting it often in 5 man's and RR for a little more group healing where applicable.

TL;DR: don't underestimate WV, even tho it heals for little, it can make certain group heal fights easier.
    That's incorrect. WV has a limit of 10 targets.

Let's assume that WV will heal for 55 (unbuffed, of course). 7 ticks over 12 seconds, with 10 people getting healed. That's 3850 healing. A single cast of Vile Spores would heal five people for a total of 2190 and 805 on the second tick. WV has an advantage in that it can be maintained on multiple targets. But even then, it is impossible to maintain if incoming damage is severe because the individual ticks of WV are not significant enough to temper that damage.

Rift Chaser

I like the idea of allowing it to spread to multiple targets, given talent points.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast