+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PAGING BlueDot

Default PAGING BlueDot

hey bluedot, can u critique and/or tweak this fire spec please? (or any mage experts who read this?)
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zIzq.efueuusuts.V0xo.m

spec will be for a pvE RAID mage. choices are 51pyro or 3Xpyro/3Xelem, so im coming to you (and all mage experts) to get the best raid dps spec from mage. its my assumption on of these picks is best but if im wrong please let me know

thanks in advance for any and all help posted
    WFH & BYOB - www.kingtj.net

From some tests I ran a while back, as long as you crit a decent amount, the +damage on crit from the 3x/3x Pyro/Ele hybrid was netting me more DPS than a straight 51 Pyro spec. That, and Intensify Elements, and the increased charge gain from the pet (more Internalize Charge/Withering Flames), is a bonus. I just hate it on general principle as it is a pet spec.
    Experience debt is merely a gauge to show how much Awesome I'm generating.

31 Ele/35 Pyro is the best pyro DPS spec atm.
    -Cane
    Arcanas - Co-Leader of Purge to Win, Bloodiron Guardian PvPvE Guild.
    Hammerknell 11/11, World #5th Akylios

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanas View Post
    31 Ele/35 Pyro is the best pyro DPS spec atm.
    This is pretty much the long and short of it. Some people prefer 34/32 pyro/ele, but in my experience, 35/31 is slightly better.
    You can't get there from here, Alice.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Void Seraphi View Post
    This is pretty much the long and short of it. Some people prefer 34/32 pyro/ele, but in my experience, 35/31 is slightly better.
    I would recommend 32 Ele if you're in a raid scenario. If you die and get b-rezzed as a 35/31, there is absolutely no way you're going to catch up on mana even through chugging tonics. You're going to have to use up a mental flare (which probably was going to a Cleric).

And if it's a fight with mobility, you can forget about keeping up your mana when you're off GoP.

Not to mention the 1.2% dps loss from 32 Ele won't be noticeable in your parses as RNG more than accounts for that amount.

GSB: 5/5, RoS: 4/4, HK: 10/11
    GP: 4/4, DH: 4/4

Soulwalker

If you're going to go Pyro, Pyro/Ele is the better combo than 51 or 44 Pyro. I've parsed the heck out of both options, though I don't have parses handy to show my work, and Intensify Elements+Air Elemental's SP Buff for the raid outweigh Fulminate. The choice falls to your raid in particular which of the below builds would work out better for you, as you know your raid best. There are some better DPS specs out there as well, so doing a bit more research on those might be a good idea.

34 Pyro/32 Ele: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Abz.xchcuuczxR
    Selling Point: You have the ability to recharge your own mana in battle. This means that no one will need to give your mana regen a boost in battle, and this can be key in some raid fights, as they are significantly longer than the average PvE mob fight.

35 Pyro/31 Ele: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Aoz.xchcuuczxs
    More points in Pyro= more DPS due to Burning Bright.

More important than the one point choice is the placement of your points:
    0 points in Wildfire- Flame Bolt is a DPS loss with the exception of the buff gained from Improved Flame Bolt. The GCD you spend on casting it more than once every 8-10 seconds could be casting a Fireball instead.
    Points in Improved Smoldering Power and Fire Shield are flexible, use them according to your play style. I personally chose Fire Shield to save my healers that extra bit, but if you use Smoldering Power, your points would be better placed in Improved Smoldering Power.
    GL and happy incinerating

Why wouldn't you get Synergize? I mean, I know charge is easy to come by, but getting Internalize Charge up a few seconds earlier in a long fight can mean a lot. It also makes getting charge while moving somewhat easier.

Also, why not get Ashen Armor over Charged? Last time I checked, Ignite with Ashen Armor is a DPS gain right before Intensify Elements. Plus, Ignite can and should be used during movement. That all seems more useful than buffing an ability you'll never use even with the talent.

Soulwalker

Synergize is a flexible point. You can take one out of Planar Expansion to move it there if you choose.
    Ashen Armor is a waste, as Ignite is a DPS loss except when you are in motion. If you're going to choose between the two, I chose the higher DPS option to throw out if I felt the need over losing overall DPS by working Ignite into my rotation. The GCD cost of choosing Ignite over Fireball doesn't pay off in my experience. However, should you feel it works better for you, more power to you.
    These are the finer details that each person's playstyle helps them decide. I was giving basic guildlines to aid in making a decision between two similar specs.
    Last edited by prplflwr20; 08-17-2011 at 02:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread