+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is the +10% intelli from 10pts in Dom worth it for Necrolock?

Prophet of Telara

Default Is the +10% intelli from 10pts in Dom worth it for Necrolock?

Right so I've been 50 for about just over 3 weeks and have fairly succesfully farmed all T1s/T2s and DRRs for pre-raid BiS items (chest excluded waiting for the money to craft tormentor's robes). Now my guild is starting to look at regular raiding as we finally have enough geared/comitted members and want to ensure I'm pulling my weight best as I can.

I've been riding on my levelling necrolock spec thus far which for the most part in both souls and rotation is pretty close to those recommended by bluedot and on my last guild T2 parse I was hitting 800-900dps boss dependent.

My question though is I've always been under the assumption that intelligence is key to a mage and consequently have put 10pts in my 3rd soul Dominator to get the +10% intelligence boost. Is the dmg increase from this worse than say a few more points in Necro for example to unlock Lich Form and Empty the Crypts?

Current: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...xk.xtszVzo.McV

Also I've always been told mixed answers of Spell Power vs Spell Crit. Being someone who prefers constant as opposed to burst DPS (hence why I don't use pyro) I've always tried to max my SPower which currently sits just shy of 1k at 980 whilst my Spell Crit is about 800, should I try for more Spell Crit over Spell Power especially in regarding to the merchant lessers?

Telaran

Not for DPS. IF you want to pull the most single target dps you need a pyro/ele or stormcaller/ele build

necro/lock is currently used for soloing and pvp.

None of these builds go 10pts into dom. Necro/lock soloing would have dom at 0 just for transmorph.

As a mage dom is only useful for you when you use reflective command in a archon or healing spec.

Telaran

necro lock is top st dps outside of necro/dom on a small amount of fights. both necro/lock variations are above pyro/ele and certainly above sc/ele (which should be used for aoe only)

none of these builds (besides zoomancer (necro/dom)) should put anything in dom as it will lower your dps overall.

Telaran

You're wild if you think necro/lock pulls more dps than pryo/ele or sc/ele. SC/ele does still have a lot of single target dps if you know what you're doing. Read any of the rotation specs here and get your information together.

Prophet of Telara

Ok I'll take the points out of the dom soul and redistribute into the other two. Not gonna lie in admitting to being a noob and assuming +10% intelli = pwnage

Didn't want this thread to turn into a pyro/ele/SC vs necrolock fight (plenty of those threads already around)!

Thanks for the help!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by AlexTrickle View Post
    My question though is I've always been under the assumption that intelligence is key to a mage and consequently have put 10pts in my 3rd soul Dominator to get the +10% intelligence boost. Is the dmg increase from this worse than say a few more points in Necro for example to unlock Lich Form and Empty the Crypts?
    Yes, and also because the pet does more as you put more points into necro. Or more points into lock for death damage dots.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexTrickle View Post
    980sp 800sc, should I try for more Spell Crit over Spell Power especially in regarding to the merchant lessers?
    In general, get the best lessers possible. Look at the best-in-slot guide for more information. Off the top of my head the best lessers are pyro spark, mystic river.. not sure but I think the next two are dark rites & last rites. <shrug>
    Last edited by ururu; 08-16-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Telaran

i haven't seen any lol, it's pretty much accepted. the other two do good dps yes, just not quite as much. regardless, you're right, redistribute. either 38/28 or 35/31 are the cookie cutters. 33/33 could be doable as well.

run your daily rift raids and get 5 of the epic lessers from vendors. (use one lesser in the greater slot). use death's rights? forget the name, but a greater from a quest in stillmoor. great dps atm. almost 100% uptime on the proc.
    Last edited by Nashiq; 08-16-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by ururu View Post
    Yes, and also because the pet does more as you put more points into necro. Or more points into lock for death damage dots.

In general, get the best lessers possible. Look at the best-in-slot guide for more information. Off the top of my head the best lessers are pyro spark, mystic river.. not sure but I think the next two are dark rites & last rites. <shrug>
    Yer I've been doing the DRRs to get the inscribed and now pretty happy with my essences - can't remember off the top of my head (not actuallly at PC) but my source machine is currently standing at

~117intelli
    x wisdom
    y endurance
    ~50 Spell Power
    ~80 Spell Crit

I've tried to maximise intelligence which resulted in a roughly even split (3 of each I think) of essences for Spell Power and Spell Crit - should I change and put all my eggs in one basket?

Telaran

top 5, using some other folks stat weights. (for dps btw, will not apply to healing). int/wisdom/sp
    all purchased from vendor.

Pyro Spark 18 12 16
    Mystic River 24 10 11
    Dark Rites 15 15 16
    Last Rites 14 19 14
    Living River 19 19 9

Rift Chaser

Depending on the exact fight, 35 lock/31 necro, or 38 lock/28 necro are your two go-to necrolock builds.

For a fight where you are more or less constantly on the move, 38/28 is better. For a fight with a little less movement, 35/31 is better.

0 point archon nets you a significant boost to intelligence AND wisdom in the form of pillaging stones, anyway.
    You can't get there from here, Alice.

+ Reply to Thread