+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chloromancer: Support or Healer? (Low Level)

Default Chloromancer: Support or Healer? (Low Level)

I'm new to Rift and I have a level 24 Mage currently and would like to get in to doing dungeons. I've played a DPS Mage back in WoW and really think that the concept of a healing Mage is new and refreshing. I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around the idea of not direct healing and was wondering if I should queue as a Support instead of a Healer. I'm not quite sure what the support role entails and I'm assuming it's just a sort of off-healer. Any thoughts?

This is my current build: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1zvRs.xh.ydIzo0cz

Ascendant

It is difficult to heal lower level dungeons as a chloromancer however with a support you shouldn't have too much trouble doing it.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

Shadowlander

At level 24ish you should have a build like this: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zRv_.xdIuozc.xb

- Put Synthesis on the tank which will activate Lifebound Veil on you.
    - Cast Radiant Spores before the tank pulls
    - Cast Withering Vine right after the tank pulls (WV is pretty good at lower levels)
    - Cast Nature's Touch whenever it's available as that's your main healing tool
    - Cast Vile Spores when NT is on cooldown
    - Cast Ruin when you need some healing immediately
    - Cast Bloom when your tank needs a large instant heal (you have to use Bloom almost on CD on some bosses if the tank is squishy)
    - Cast Flourish when the whole group needs healing
    - Use Entropic Veil whenever you're over 80 charge

Also:

1)Lifegiving veli: Heals 90-110% of the damage you deal to your allies
    2)Lifebound veli: Heals 10-30% of the damage you deal to your allies
    +Synthesis: Heals additional 100-160% to your synthesis target for the damage you deal to enemies.
    -Nature's Touch: Deals X dmg to your enemy and immediately heals your ally with the buff for 100% of the damage dealt.
    -Emphatic Bond: Your mana gets healed 20% of the damage dealt to your ally with theis buff by the enemy.

Therefore, Lifegiving veli is more for your entire group, where Lifebound veli is mainly to concentrate on a single ally (eg: tank).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help! I just ran a dungeon as a support and everything went perfectly. I used your advice and it really helped out, thanks a lot!

Until you're confident about how each dungeon works I'd recommend queueing as support so you can get to know them without the pressure of being main healer - we don't have as many o**** buttons as clerics so making sure you're aware of what could happen is a good plan before you try to main heal, which you can do, it just needs foreknowledge.

Telaran

Not to highjack the tread but when would you use Lifegiving Veil over Lifebound Veil or vice versa? One for main healer duty and the other for support?

Quote Originally Posted by Beyorn View Post
    Not to highjack the tread but when would you use Lifegiving Veil over Lifebound Veil or vice versa? One for main healer duty and the other for support?
    Lifegiving is for group healing and lifebound should only be used with synthesis for tank healing. You won't be giving very many group heals with lifebound up.

Telaran

So do you switch back and fourth when you are main healer of a group with no support? I have just started one too and Im trying to get all the mechanics under my belt before I start trying to main heal any of the dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyorn View Post
    So do you switch back and fourth when you are main healer of a group with no support? I have just started one too and Im trying to get all the mechanics under my belt before I start trying to main heal any of the dungeons.
    Nah. You can just use lifbound + synth on tank and then use Flourish when you need to. Make sure to use spells that'll heal the others in the group by them damaging the mob, though.

My normal rotation: Nature's touch -> Ruin -> Nature's touch -> Vile Spores -> Radiant Spores -> Repeat
    Spam vile spores if nature's is still on cd. You can throw in some Withering Vine whenever you want to as well.

I'm not sure how many points you're working with though. :/
    Last edited by vAnathema; 08-16-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Telaran

I'm level 25 and I have up to synth I think. i was thinking of doing what you said except I would blow all my cooldowns first then spam Vile Spores until the cooldowns pop. I was going to use my single target heal and group with for the other group members when they need it.

+ Reply to Thread