+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A few ideas for tweaking mages for PvP

Default A few ideas for tweaking mages for PvP

1) Give the Mage calling an ability that increases casting range by an additional 10-15 meters - this would be a passive ability talent unlocked deep within the Archmage tree. The reason for being deep in this tree is so that players wouldn't be able to combine the increased casting range with other powerful survivability specs as efficiently, though it would give the glass cannon specs the boost they need.

Would this be overpowered? Of course it would be without the right precautions - but I feel that if implemented correctly, it would help to balance things out. I'd like opinions here. Gap closers such as bull rush would still work fine, considering the cast time on most mage specs. However, some mage specs with many instant casts, roots & snares would become overpowered; so some counters would need to be implemented:

2) Reduce the cool-down on break free from two minutes to 30 seconds on all callings (I believe that this is at 2 minutes for every calling, correct me if I'm wrong). This would help to prevent mages from permanently kiting melee classes; as well as give lower ranked mages increased chances of survival against higher ranked stun-locking classes.

3) To offer another balancing mechanism to counter the new range that mages would have - all callings should have at least one ability that reduces the casting distance of enemy players by 10 meters. This debuff should be uncurable.This would reward mages for keeping distance, but prevent them from abusing CC to reclaim their distance. These could be new abilities, or the new debuff effect could be paired with the existing abilities that reduce casting speed.

As a final precaution, the Archmage casting range talent should also come with a debuff to the mage such as decreased armour value. This would be very similar to the old Pyromancer talent which both increased fire damage and decreased total health.

What do you think? Feel free to hate the idea and say why it fails.

Spoken from a R7 mage, 140k prestige 'til r8.
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Telaran

you can't perma kite a war as a mage. Their timer will tick after 2 and then they're immune for a full 30 seconds of face owning.

The range increases would be fine because then we could match up with the increased range on rogues and give us more time to initiate combat on wars/rogues before we get in meele range.

A range debuff would be faceroll. all one would need to do is send a cloaked rogue in and then suddenly all the mages can't cast unless they are sitting on their targets lap.

If they want to give mages a chance they either have a couple options, decrease our GCD, more break frees, more counter-cc similar to flicker, create some sort of damage reduction increase related to spell power. (Earthen mage powers come to mind, the only element that is *Not* used in a mage despite us having multiple earth skills. Including a mind numbingly useless "burning ground" that is not fire damage.)

It boils down giving mages more survivability either through spells or passive defense. every other class can lengthen their survival through serious damage reduction, damage mitigation, damage null, or stronger healing capabilities and mages are left somewhere in the middle of all of them, succeeding in none.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul sky View Post
    1) Give the Mage calling an ability that increases casting range by an additional 10-15 meters - this would be a passive ability talent unlocked deep within the Archmage tree. The reason for being deep in this tree is so that players wouldn't be able to combine the increased casting range with other powerful survivability specs as efficiently, though it would give the glass cannon specs the boost they need.

Would this be overpowered? Of course it would be without the right precautions - but I feel that if implemented correctly, it would help to balance things out. I'd like opinions here. Gap closers such as bull rush would still work fine, considering the cast time on most mage specs. However, some mage specs with many instant casts, roots & snares would become overpowered; so some counters would need to be implemented:

2) Reduce the cool-down on break free from two minutes to 30 seconds on all callings (I believe that this is at 2 minutes for every calling, correct me if I'm wrong). This would help to prevent mages from permanently kiting melee classes; as well as give lower ranked mages increased chances of survival against higher ranked stun-locking classes.

3) To offer another balancing mechanism to counter the new range that mages would have - all callings should have at least one ability that reduces the casting distance of enemy players by 10 meters. This debuff should be uncurable.This would reward mages for keeping distance, but prevent them from abusing CC to reclaim their distance. These could be new abilities, or the new debuff effect could be paired with the existing abilities that reduce casting speed.

As a final precaution, the Archmage casting range talent should also come with a debuff to the mage such as decreased armour value. This would be very similar to the old Pyromancer talent which both increased fire damage and decreased total health.

What do you think? Feel free to hate the idea and say why it fails.

Spoken from a R7 mage, 140k prestige 'til r8.
    So your idea to "fix" us is that we get some extra range deep in the AM tree (assuming you need to be P4+?) at the expense of never being able to CC anyone again no matter what our spec is? (30 sec reuse on break free, 5 seconds immunity, 15 seconds immunity for getting CCed...)

I have three words for you: Line of Sight. Not every fight is fought in the open field.

Troll rating: 6.5 of 10.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

we need more range.
    we need less los issues.
    we need casted spells hitting more than instants.
    we need better self shields.
    we need less gcd.

nevertheless, i'm leaving the game at the end of this month till they make mage viable.

it's not fun when i'm forced to play survivability when i want to play dps only.
    i can accept being killed in 2-3 gcds only if i can kill in the same time.
    currently it's kill in 5-6 gcds and die in 2-3, which is not balanced at all.
    used to be a proud member of Rift Runners till madness took over.

I think you're all underestimating the benefit of 10-15 meters more casting range. I only suggested it to be a deep AM talent, because if it was a shallow talent then builds such as chlorodom would be untouchable at that distance. Speccing deep into archmage would be the tradeoff (limiting your soul combos, for example no 31 31 specs+ casting range).

To the person who commented on my casting range debuff, sorry I should clarify - I only meant it to be a counter to this talent - thus you wouldn't be able to debuff casting distance to be shorter than it is currently.

I just feel that in order to be true glass cannons, mages should actually be able to cast from the back of a fight, rather than to always be casting within melee gap closer range.
    Last edited by Soul sky; 08-16-2011 at 12:42 PM.
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

How about Trion just fixes CC DR?

Sarathor@Byriel Rank 7 Defiant Mage - retired
    Bonqueequee@Byriel Rank 1 Guardian Rogue

Telaran

I don't see why you want a glass cannon. No defense in exchange for quick burn? I'd rather have moderate dps in exchange to being able to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by ZykeZero View Post
    I don't see why you want a glass cannon. No defense in exchange for quick burn? I'd rather have moderate dps in exchange to being able to survive.
    I'd like to have the option to do either depending on the spec I choose, currently I only have option 2.
    Windstorm - Mage - Faeblight US
    Hi, I'm back!
    Faeblight since CB3

+ Reply to Thread