+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Most mobile mage?

Soulwalker

Default Most mobile mage?

Guess I'm a little spoiled from playing other chars (rogue mainly) anyways I like to be mobile and move around a lot, which Mage soul or combination of souls would be mobile in pvp as I like to move around a lot while firing off spells. So I guess I'm looking for a soul with lots of instant spells.
    I like pyro and it has a decent amount of instant spells but I'm just wondering all of your opinions as I'm not very versed in the mage yet.

Thx and sorry for misspelled or wrong words posting from my iPhone, darn autocorrect

Ascendant

This is a trick question. Mages aren't mobile
    DK of The Fast and the Fairyous: Tokyo Rift

Ascendant

38/28 lock/necro

Of course all of your instants except for 1 are DoTs unless you get an opportunity.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

Telaran

Default Mobile builds

Lock obviously has DoTs, other instants cast CD abils, and survivability options, and Opportunity makes other stuff instant cast. You can pair it with numerous souls.

There are other things to consider, too. Stormcaller has Ride the Wind for an on demand 50% run speed boost, and it also has an ok amount of instant cast abilities, but usually requires Electrocute stacks, which require standing still.

Archmage at PR4 has Hastened Withdrawl, which can proc movement boost, and add some mobility.

Pyro has Flicker, instant casts, but still relies a fair amount on Fireball, which is casted.

Sometimes just having instant cast spells doesn't get the job done, and you need to consider other combos or mobility via other paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronicar View Post
    38/28 lock/necro

Of course all of your instants except for 1 are DoTs unless you get an opportunity.
    Yah, and I don't think I ever yet dotted anybody to death in the wf's.
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Rheven View Post
    I am pretty sure my pet gets all the killing blows. I have dotted plenty of people to death but that is because they think running away from me helps them survive. Brah my DoTs are going to kill you no matter where you are.
    Last edited by Chronicar; 08-16-2011 at 08:25 AM.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Rheven View Post
    dots on, finish with soul purge.

Soulwalker

I'm currently using a warlock/archmage build that provides good mobility in combat (go for 2 points in 'Hastened Withdrawal'). I start stacking my dots, and when I get an Opportunity, I cast VB for burst and to refresh LL. If I'm being attacked by a warrior and most rogues, I often begin running around at insane 50% run speed (imagine a Ride the Wind that can be used more often and without consuming charge) while dotting and insta-casting. My third soul is a zero point chloro for the radiant spore heals I get while zipping around the battlefield. The speed helps to establish range from my target (since conventional CC rarely seems to in this game). As a Pr4 mage, this build has given me a good combination of mobility and survivability without sacrificing too much dps.

SC (31+), Dom (31+), and whatever will be nothing but an insta cast button spamming smile festival for you. Dom procs cast speed bonuses left and right, for the few things in SC/Dom that aren't insta cast, only take fractions of a second.

Say no to pyro, chloro, elementalist, archon... these plant you.
    Menaace - P50 Mage, Annihilator, Executioner, <MMAC> Guild Leader
    Talent has no gearscore
    MMAC vs Vinco 20v20
    Menaace 1.7, 5-Spec, PvP VIDEO
    MMAC vs TFS 10v10's Episode 1 (with commentary)

here i made a new thread about this spec, good mobility

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-spec-pvp.html

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Menaace View Post
    SC (31+), Dom (31+), and whatever will be nothing but an insta cast button spamming smile festival for you. Dom procs cast speed bonuses left and right, for the few things in SC/Dom that aren't insta cast, only take fractions of a second.

Say no to pyro, chloro, elementalist, archon... these plant you.
    SC/Dom... lol. I knew MMAC was always terrible. Especially from someone who says to stay away from Chloro.
    Eldritch Knight Brod - 50 Mage Rank 8 Briarcliff

Soulwalker

Default 51 Lock / 10 Ele / 5 AM

51 Lock / 10 Ele / 5 AM

This is my preferred pvp build. You can run around putting dots on people until you get an opportunity proc, then pop Empowered Darkness and do a Lightning Strike -> Draining Bolt combo.

For aoe, do Neddra's Grasp -> Dark Touch -> Empowered Darkness -> Radiate Death -> Devouring Shadows.

Put up Ice Shield on cooldown. If you get into trouble, pop Shadow Life and/or Neddra's Essence.

You never have to stop running doing any of the above except for while channeling Devouring Shadows, but getting off 2 ticks of Devouring Shadows with Empowered Darkness up is enough to take lower ranked people from half health to dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Brod View Post
    SC/Dom... lol. I knew MMAC was always terrible. Especially from someone who says to stay away from Chloro.
    I have 5 pvp specs: Chlorolock, Pyrochloro, Chlorodom, Sc/Dom, Necrolock...

Everything with SC/Dom is insta. TI, reflective presence, arresting presence, void shroud, split personality, transmogrify. Then with cast speed bonuses, -0.5 seconds added to +50% cast speed on TM procs for everything else puts every cast you will use of SC/Dom <1 seconds... all while running around in circles with a 50% RUN speed bonus as long as you can keep influxing charge with RTW activated (good stormcallers never slow down). You plant for channeling lightning storm only in this class, everything else you will cast will have 0.25-0.75 second cast time (it's almost insta if you jump cast... jump at the end of the animation to move while casting).

This was about mobility. Arsenal of instas, + 50% cast speed bonus, -0.5 seconds on all casts in addition, +50% run speed. How is this not the most mobile spec? In all definitions of the word mobile?
    Menaace - P50 Mage, Annihilator, Executioner, <MMAC> Guild Leader
    Talent has no gearscore
    MMAC vs Vinco 20v20
    Menaace 1.7, 5-Spec, PvP VIDEO
    MMAC vs TFS 10v10's Episode 1 (with commentary)

Rift Chaser

Not to be snarky, but the best mage/mobility build is a cleric build :P Inq/justi/warden. Insta cast DD, insta cast dot, 2 insta cast knock backs, insta cast snare, insta cast HOT, insta cast single heal, insta cast group heal. Couple that with very powerful AOE if you do decide to stand still.

My cleric can function 100% on the move, and is always top 3 for both damage and healing. Sadly, this is the best "mage" spec in the game at the moment as far as I'm concerned.

Trion really needs to rethink mage mechanics in PvP, as their mobility is terrible, and they generally have long cast times. A 2 second cast in PvP almost always ends up being on the wrong end of bullrush/stun/snare/silence/dead. Couple this with DR which means you are never going to keep melee at range, and it can become pretty frustrating.

My cleric can move with the flow of battle and still maintain great dps and hps. My mage is pretty much a sitting duck.

Rift Master

Pretty much every PvP mage spec worth playing has enough mobilty and kiting tools to get the job done. It's a matter of playstyle and role.

51 Stormcaller

Can sprint around indefinitely with Ride the Wind/Cloudbursting, and you've got Wind Chill and plenty of Hypo, and your best Electrified builder roots your target during the channel. The most taxing part of the playstyle is charge management, but if you're a movement/positioning expert it's the best damage build around.

51 Warlock

It's a Dot build but I actually find it to have less true mobility to Stormcaller, with no speed boost and no spammable instant nuke bar opportunity procs. Your main nuking, Devouring+ Void bolts, is stationary casting, and Wither/Fear have cast times.
    But you do have Mass Fear to get melees off you, 5 instants, and some defensive cooldowns, you can take more of a hit.

Chloro Healer

No Melee can lock you down when you have Wild Abandon, Break Free, full cleanses, Instant Blooms, and Hastened Withdrawl procs.

32 Pyro/18AM/16 Archon

It's an unfashionable near obsolete build, but multiple absorb shields + Hastened Withdrawl + Flicker is excellent mobility. Plenty of instants too.

Anything with Dominator (51 Dom, Chloro/Dom, SC/Dom, Pyro/Dom, Warlock Dom), you have the instant squirrel minimum.

The least mobile souls are the Pet ones, Necro and Ele don't help your mobility in WFs at all, so you rarely see high investment in either of those 2 souls for PVP builds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast