+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Void or Plague Bolt?

Soulwalker

Default Void or Plague Bolt?

I'm working on a Lock / Necro build and was wondering what is going to produce a higher DPS rate. Assuming that the points are spent in the proper areas to maximize the spell, is Void Bolt better for the higher base damage and faster cast rate, or Plague Bolt for the increased damage from Deathly Calling? I checked the forum but didn't see much about this. If you know of a previous discussion please post the link.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Strigio View Post
    I'm working on a Lock / Necro build and was wondering what is going to produce a higher DPS rate. Assuming that the points are spent in the proper areas to maximize the spell, is Void Bolt better for the higher base damage and faster cast rate, or Plague Bolt for the increased damage from Deathly Calling? I checked the forum but didn't see much about this. If you know of a previous discussion please post the link.
    Void Bolt for higher damage, faster cast rate, and refresh of life leech.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

Shadowlander

Try to throw in a Grave Rot when you can for the Deathly Calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Acappella View Post
    Try to throw in a Grave Rot when you can for the Deathly Calling.
    to be honest I think this is a dps loss. it really sucks that plague bolt does such low damage.

Both.

Start the fight by keeping DC up with Grave rot, once you have 5 stacks on the target, start using opportunity procs for plague bolt. Plague Bolt will do more damage, but with the slower cast time its not normally worth it. Opportunity changes that.

Quote Originally Posted by Slurpeedelic View Post
    to be honest I think this is a dps loss. it really sucks that plague bolt does such low damage.
    It's not, soul rend's damage scales with DC stacks, not to mention grave rot's own damage.
    Last edited by Guaritor; 08-16-2011 at 07:40 AM.

Stupid edit timer...

It might be a dps loss if you take a couple seconds on targeting grave rot alone... but if your good at it, your targeting time should barely be noticable. If your having problems, you can target grave rot while soul purging without stopping the purge, so get it ready and and soul purge by casting grave rot.

Soulwalker

So I'm guessing that there isn't a concensus as to the best DPS output.

Is there a DPS meter add on that I can use at a test dummy?

Void Bolt is better for spammage, there is no question about that.
    The DC stacks from Plague Bolt can be more effectively applied by Grave Rot, or ideally one mage will supply them for all the others.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Strigio View Post
    So I'm guessing that there isn't a concensus as to the best DPS output.

Is there a DPS meter add on that I can use at a test dummy?
    Well, it seems everyone agreed that void bolt is higher dps the plague bolt alone. It does sllightly lower damage with a slightly quicker cast time, and it averages out to more dps.

Other people started arguing about the merits of grave rot, and all I pointed out is that when opportunity procs, the cast time of void bolt and plague bolt is the same, and so you should cast plague bolt since it does more damage.

Edit: There are no "addons" but there are combat log parsers that will analyze your combat log and make everything nice and presentable. I personally love ACT, and bluedots has a guide for getting act to work here:

http://bluedots.org/2011/05/06/using...acker-in-rift/

Riftjunkies also has a parser, but I don't know much about it, so you'll have to look it up yourself.
    Last edited by Guaritor; 08-16-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Guaritor View Post
    Well, it seems everyone agreed that void bolt is higher dps the plague bolt alone. It does sllightly lower damage with a slightly quicker cast time, and it averages out to more dps.

Other people started arguing about the merits of grave rot, and all I pointed out is that when opportunity procs, the cast time of void bolt and plague bolt is the same, and so you should cast plague bolt since it does more damage.
    You are absolutely correct unless you need to refresh life leech or pillaging stone.
    Last edited by Chronicar; 08-16-2011 at 09:32 AM.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

Telaran

You could argue that there are better places to put 5 points than opportunity which is unreliable at best.

Grave rot is not a noticeable dps loss once you get good at casting it.

Void bolt all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashiq View Post
    You could argue that there are better places to put 5 points than opportunity which is unreliable at best.
    Well, you don't have to max opportunity... and i'd like to hear your arguement against those points in opp?

Plague bolt ONLY if you're using necrodom (zoomancer build), otherwise void bolt.
    Last edited by Chomag; 08-16-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Guaritor View Post
    Well, you don't have to max opportunity... and i'd like to hear your arguement against those points in opp?
    If you're playing defile build then yeah, you got some extra points to toss around. could stick 3-4 in opp.

as 35/31, there's really only 2 points to play around with, and I prefer to have one in neddra's essence, as it saves me at least once a night (dead dps does no dps). the other, radiate death for crap aoe or 2% opp proc or Neddra's grasp which might be useful on some fights.

could experiment with taking a point or two out of magical affinity, as i do seem to have extra charge wasting away.

maybe I'll play some dummy bashing tonight and parse a bit.
    Last edited by Nashiq; 08-16-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashiq View Post
    If you're playing defile build then yeah, you got some extra points to toss around. could stick 3-4 in opp.

as 35/31, there's really only 2 points to play around with, and I prefer to have one in neddra's essence, as it saves me at least once a night (dead dps does no dps). the other, radiate death for crap aoe or 2% opp proc or Neddra's grasp which might be useful on some fights.

could experiment with taking a point or two out of magical affinity, as i do seem to have extra charge wasting away.

maybe I'll play some dummy bashing tonight and parse a bit.
    Hmm, really? With 35/31, I see ~4 points to play around with.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast