+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Warriors keep demolish me : Am i doing something wrong ?

Ygg
    Telaran

Default Warriors keep demolish me : Am i doing something wrong ?

Hi,

I just wanna check with others fellow mages what I cant do against Warriors : they are my greatest fear (pun intended) and they keep destroying me while mashing their macros......

I play a lot of differents specs in PVP :

- Chloro/Lock (32/34 + AM 0 pts for break free)

- 51 Warlock (15 AM)

- S/C 44 - AM 18 - Lock 4

- Chloro/Dom (34/32)

I have a big problem with war : i can't survive them or kill them - They tp, AOE silence, root, TP again and i'm constantly under LW and I can't heal myself enough to survive their DMG even in chloro/lock which is my "tank" spec.

I'm really frustrated with this, because i love to play my mage, but now for me they are still OP (no melee anymore, mainly 20m dmg, constant gap closer to prevent kitting) and i can't figure out how to deal with this.

Thanks for helping a desperate mage

Plane Touched

Actually i struggle against a good warrior as well, i tried all the specs, but still its their damage that makes mage healing and dps useless. Btw i am rank 6.

Anyway best option would be to stay away from them at this stage...

Smart warriors don't move when i cast stormshackle on them, and it just reduces my dps output by more then 90%.

Other viable specs, which have a reasonable chance against a warrior is pyro/dom/arch.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...M0c.MsV0VkVMbz

You got some good debuff and damage spell but you have to use them at the right time...
    I am using the following rotation.
    Cast Split personality first
    Cast Disarm if a warrior charges at you, you got 5 seconds to do good damage, cast squiarel, that will give you 50% reduction in cast time followed by 3 or 4 fireballs in less then 5 seconds..
    Once disarm wears off, cast Transference, keep hitting warrior
    After couple of seconds cast Flicker to increase the distance
    Cast Squirrel followed by 3 or more fireball..

By this time warrior should be dead or if unlucky warrior might use healing potion or spells.. In that case you should have healing potion aswell.

This is the strategy i use against most warriors and it works well even against high rank players.
    Last edited by killthedesires; 08-15-2011 at 07:44 PM.

You might be doing something wrong, but as a Mage your are expected to get pwnd by Warriors. And Rogues. And Clerics. That's just how PvP is at the moment. And for a while now. And probably for a long time to come.
    Last edited by Zarokima; 08-15-2011 at 10:16 PM.

You fight fire with fire. They kill you with burst, so give it back to them. As a SC you can kill them before they close the distance. You can also kite them and then stun them and then turn around and shove their face in with 51 lock. There are a ton of ways to destroy them, you just need to get the hang of it and react quickly. It'll come with time/practice etc.

Stormcaller lol. i dont know what shard your on but SC dont work buddy. I use 18 AM ( crit,dammage reduction,detaunt) 32 cholor,16Lock. Open with vines,ruin,corrosion,wildgrowth detaunt. Bloom,floruish,genisis pylon abiltie to get some space then NF and stream to heal some. save a bloom+essence surge till your at 20%. Its a ***** to heal throught LW but if you get corrosion and wild growth up with a detaunt it really rips them apart.
    Deepstrike,were the real men PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Sao like Mayo View Post
    You fight fire with fire. They kill you with burst, so give it back to them. As a SC you can kill them before they close the distance. You can also kite them and then stun them and then turn around and shove their face in with 51 lock. There are a ton of ways to destroy them, you just need to get the hang of it and react quickly. It'll come with time/practice etc.
    I like that advice!

I'm p7 and I think I know my stuff. Nevertheless, some warriors (probably what you might call "good" ones) are a true pain 1on1. If I'm jumped by one in the open world it's mostly over already.

Trying to outlast them is really not a good idea, not even in my Chlorolock spec, with which I frequently pwn WFs (top dmg, top healing, decent amount of KB). With being constantly crippled and warriors running RB more and more, it's almost impossible to kite them. You also can't out-heal them due to LW.

I had some encounters with warriors (pre nerf though) where I had to use Shadow Life (hi, 11k HP) and Essence Surge immediately to not get bashed in seconds. True story. And even though I used it, I still lost in the end (RB spells hurt badly, very very badly).

Of course those encounters can be different. If I "jump" the warrior at range, it's almost always gg to the warrior. Also being in a more offensive spec (51WL, my pyro spec can melt warriors quite good, too) lightens things up, because I can actually just nuke the warrior down. The WL offers Neddra's Essence, which should be the I-Win button in most cases anyway (make sure you make it as hard as possible for your enemy to dispel it).

So that's about it. I actually find it kind of funny, that my Chlorolock spec doesn't work against Warriors (again, good ones) because I can eat alive anything besides warriors with it (except healing clerics ofc ^^). But your strong standing power means nothing when LW is involved (rogues' stuff can be dispelled, which turns the tides always) and while decent, the "burst" potential of a Chlorolock is not enough quite often.

Of course you can run something involving Dominator, which changes things. But I don't really have a role left, just to handle being jumped in open world, especially because it's mostly a fight against unbeatable odds (vastly outnumbered).

There is one good piece of advice in this thread. Fight fire with fire. Roll a warrior.

aux

Mostly you just die. Since 1.2, our defenses no longer work. Try not to get noticed and lightning burst their faces, they like that.
    Last edited by aux; 08-16-2011 at 03:01 AM.
    I'm so BORED

Rift Disciple

A 'tank' Chlorolock spec without the -15% crit, what an idiot lol.
    Last edited by Caution; 08-16-2011 at 03:27 AM.

Sword of Telara

44SC/18Chloro/4AM

Stay behind friendly lines, Forked Lightningx3, Ice Shear, Lightning Burst. Rinse and repeat. If you get targeted do as any non-Neo would when facing an agent: run, run your *** off.

Ygg
    Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Caution View Post
    A 'tank' Chlorolock spec without the -15% crit, what an idiot lol.
    Yeah, but thats the ' ' before tank mean : i tested the -15% but the constant dmg I take, LW is still 99% uptime on me. Moreover, IMHO mage are no tanks, i don't want to absorb lots of dmg (but my 2 greaters shielding essences works for mitigation) i just want to be useful to my team, and not being ganked constantly by players with little CD and 3 macros.

Quote Originally Posted by hopp View Post
    44SC/18Chloro/4AM
    Stay behind friendly lines, Forked Lightningx3, Ice Shear, Lightning Burst. Rinse and repeat. If you get targeted do as any non-Neo would when facing an agent: run, run your *** off.
    You made me laugh
    I do this with my 44 SC/ 18 AM /4 Lock build. Ride the Wind + Hastened Withdrawal helps a lot when it's time to get the hell out off melee range. And the 4k burst made them rage, which is priceless

But a warrior in my team said I must burst down those in RB spec : they simply cannot be kited thanks to

Riftwalk
    20 Meter Range
    10 Energy
    Instant
    Cooldown: 45.00 Seconds
    Planes Shift to an enemy, the disruption of rift energy deals 49 to 52 Air damage, in addition to stunning them for 2 seconds. Breaks all roots, snares, stuns, mesmerizes, and incapacitates. This ability grants 1 Attack Point.

Planar Blade
    The Warrior's weapon is sheathed in planar energy. Critical hits with attack abilities return 10 Power to the Warrior, in addition to refreshing the cooldown on Riftwalk and the Void Knight ability Rift Summon. Only 1 blade spell can be active at a time. Lasts 1 hour.

Most of warriors in my shard (French server) uses this RB spec to be in 'GODMODE' : they deal distant magical damage (a melee ? WTF ?) have plenty of snare, roots and an distant AOE silence.
    Add the fact they deal constant damage (and thus LW is 100% uptime) and have also no CD on riftwalk which made them like in UT : UNSTOPPABLE

Seriously if i hear about constant TP + distance magical dmg + AOE silence + roots it sounds a lot like a mage classe to me......
    They must take the cloth brittle armor and the cast time along if they want to look like us

Shadowlander

If you gave a cloth class (Mage) a set of powers like that it would own too. Just three ranged damage spells all on CDs (but short ones) and the rest all melee distance. Any class would be ridiculous in PvP with those powers. In PvE a Mage might have a bit more of a problem with a spec like that but this is not the issue here.

I don't mind getting ganked by Rogues ... well, yes I do ... but I'm not complaining because they have to earn their positioning to get to you. Warriors? They fly and teleport all over the battle field. They have better and more CC than a Mage. Are these the same developers that did Warhammer because the same thing happened there and it made a ton of people quit after three months after the game started. Rift is a much better game than Warhammer but it is time to hold Trion accountable for the marked imbalance between the classes.

riftwalk should be on the same cooldown with bull rush

there are a few lessons trion could learn from blizzard

if the CC dr is goign to stay.. multiple gap closers should share cds

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Ygg View Post
    Hi,

I just wanna check with others fellow mages what I cant do against Warriors : they are my greatest fear (pun intended) and they keep destroying me while mashing their macros......

I play a lot of differents specs in PVP :

- Chloro/Lock (32/34 + AM 0 pts for break free)

- 51 Warlock (15 AM)

- S/C 44 - AM 18 - Lock 4

- Chloro/Dom (34/32)

I have a big problem with war : i can't survive them or kill them - They tp, AOE silence, root, TP again and i'm constantly under LW and I can't heal myself enough to survive their DMG even in chloro/lock which is my "tank" spec.

I'm really frustrated with this, because i love to play my mage, but now for me they are still OP (no melee anymore, mainly 20m dmg, constant gap closer to prevent kitting) and i can't figure out how to deal with this.

Thanks for helping a desperate mage

For starters, you are generally on the right track with your approach to pvp spec'ing there, other then maybe the 44 SC build.

For warriors, modify your Domi/Chloro build to include a few points in AM for some additional damage, as splitting it solely between the two trees is likely overkill on the less important stuff. The biggie there being that you have both Essence Surge and Traitorous Influence.

For the warriors you are probably having trouble with, and i'm assuming you are talking about an even 1v1 scenario here, here's a few simplified pointers:

-start off by popping Traitorous Influence on him, followed up with Incompetence (i have mine with 5 points spec'd into it btw). You'll probably take a stun between the two on the initial rush, but that's ok. Get them up asap, as at that point, the 2 macros he's furiously spam clicking away on are doing half the work for you.

- Now if you get the jump on him with Transmog, and he does not immediately pop out, feel free to stack him up with the following:

Grasping Void > Traitorous Influence >Storm Shackle > Incompetence

From there it's pretty much a pop your shades/nuke him down and heal if/when needed matter, which if you are not in a valor-challenged fight and don't have a bunch of points spec'd into situational stuff that you rarely use (or is relative trash to begin with), should lead you to a favorable outcome a lot more so then it won't.

For those warriors that play their defensive/strip/mana drain spec, just either eat the 5 minute fight outcome, or simply run him off since he really shouldn't be able to do enough damage to get you down in a reasonable amount of time anyway (training them to the Faceless Man is always fun )

I do pretty well with 51 lock.

I also have a SC spec, and I usually don't have a problem with parachamps, but voidknights and riftblades are a different story.

With 51 lock, I can survive and damage them enough to where the fights ends with both of us almost dead, but I usually lose to voidknights and RBs, even though I have killed quite a few myself.

Sarathor@Byriel Rank 7 Defiant Mage - retired
    Bonqueequee@Byriel Rank 1 Guardian Rogue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast