+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dominator Raiding Specs

Default Dominator Raiding Specs

Wanted to get some thoughts on anybody out there that uses a dominator in there raid as a main soul? Link your ZAMS!

Telaran

There's no reason to spec Dominator as the main soul for PvE, let alone raiding. The damage is lousy, most enemies are either immune to the status effects or there's no real reason to put them on them, running bosses out of mana is not a viable tactic since you don't drain enough, and most of the buffs it provides are either of questionable usage or highly situational.

That's not to say that Dominator has nothing useful for PvE at all - Reflective Command and Deny, for instance - but most of the good stuff is low in the tree.

The closest Dominator came to being a PvE spec was Zoomancer, and not only was that a Necromancer main soul, but the spec pretty much died with the Spotter's Order change in Patch 1.4.

Sadly, Dominator is pretty much PvP only. It'd be cool if they made it PvE viable by making it a "debuff" spec, but that role belongs to Archon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeikfried View Post
    There's no reason to spec Dominator as the main soul for PvE, let alone raiding. The damage is lousy, most enemies are either immune to the status effects or there's no real reason to put them on them, running bosses out of mana is not a viable tactic since you don't drain enough, and most of the buffs it provides are either of questionable usage or highly situational.

That's not to say that Dominator has nothing useful for PvE at all - Reflective Command and Deny, for instance - but most of the good stuff is low in the tree.

The closest Dominator came to being a PvE spec was Zoomancer, and not only was that a Necromancer main soul, but the spec pretty much died with the Spotter's Order change in Patch 1.4.

Sadly, Dominator is pretty much PvP only. It'd be cool if they made it PvE viable by making it a "debuff" spec, but that role belongs to Archon.
    Alot of HK trash can be CCd.

HK trash r hard.
    Last edited by A Mage; 08-15-2011 at 09:31 PM.
    Xail - R41 Mage
    Guardian
    <We Are Legend>

Quote Originally Posted by A Mage View Post
    Alot of HK trash can be CCd.

HK trash r hard.
    HK trash goes significantly smoother with CCs, but 0 point Dominator for Transmogrify is good enough.

The only spec that uses significant points from Dom is Zoomancer (38 Necromancer, 28 Lock), or some variation of Zoomancer. That is hardly a "main soul" though as you are only using Split Personality.

I would be interested to see if anyone has figured out a way to use it as a PvE main soul, but I honestly don't think it is possible.

@Bluedot, okay here's another question for you or anyone with some chloro experience, I have been healing in HK as a 51 10 dom 5 ele but my healing has been down to around 1100-1200, could be that we use too many healers. Could this spec work for main healing raids?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...dIukAckRR.xx0M

opportunity procs NT or a NF, NT - Ruin - VS filler for rotation.

Thoughts?

Bigger question: Is it possible to heal without Void Life as a tank healer?
    Last edited by Fadorlaian; 08-16-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Telaran

I read somewhere that they would make the dominator more Pve friendly, and I've yet to see that.

Although that hasn't happened. But it'd be awesome if there was something we could use it for. I'd love to see a massive increase in mana consumption from spells, or something but at the moment it's a soul tree that is useless past 10/11 points in pve.

Soulwalker

I see many ways a dominator could be usefull, but it might require some changes to it.

What is a dominator? Its a control class, so basically it should be for controlling mobs. Bosses can generally not be controlled, so adds is my best guess.

How can this be done? In many ways:
    Extreme hardhitting casters that needs to be kept at 0% mana
    healing trash that heals themselves to much to be killed without 0% mana
    Adds that dont follow their tanks that must be placed in areas where they are not in LoS of the raid due to their high aoe or something
    group of casters that needs to be silenced or CCed in other ways
    making an add that can only be killed by his own spell thats cast at random target, perfect job for the dominator

Its all up to Trion to make raids where a dominator is needed, cause these scenarios seem to be hard without a dominator.

EDIT:
    Domi cant do pushback, but still a funny mechanic using control spells.
    Last edited by Salora; 08-16-2011 at 04:23 PM.

The biggest change that needs to be made, in MY opinion, to make dominator worth a damn in PvE, let alone raids, is to make it so that bosses can be affected by some of the abilities. Afaik, very bosses can be silenced, and in most cases, IF it lands, the "boss_god_mode_cleanse" erases it within a matter of seconds.

Dominator isn't bad, but it's no where near great. It's a soul meant to dominate the battlefield. It's intended to fulfill a purpose that it cannot perform.

Shadowlander

Actually there are some uses of Domi skills in raids:
    1) Arresting presence on the bossfight with really nasty spellcasting adds (Herald in RoS). You don't have to keep it on all the time, just switch it on for a few secs to silence the nasty add and interrupt it cast, and then switch it off. That is 11 point in Domi can be taken as secodary soul for your raid Archon 51)
    2) Reflect is doing about 20% of last GP boss HP damage over the fight (you need to reflect Fist of Lathys). That is 6 point in Domi soul and also option for seconday soul for Archon 51
    3)Maybe there are some uses for a Reflective Presence with 3 points in Empowered Presence but i don't know for wich boss fights exactly. Is there any boss fight with a lot of singletargeted nukes and debuffs from boss and adds? (Uruluuk maybe)
    Last edited by Asghan; 08-16-2011 at 10:02 PM.
    it's all about the Magic

lgw

Incompetence is actually a decent supportheal if your tanks are having problems against hart hitters.
    But generally one or another variation of Zoomancer is the way to go (31+ Necro, 28+ Dom as needed, 0 Archon or some WL). Then you can bring all control you need, and do decent damage to justify your slot - all HK encounters require serious DPS.
    ... aka schoklat. PVP nerd - gaming vet.
    First of slackers, herder of trolls.
    Wildstar PVP inc

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Asghan View Post
    Actually there are some uses of Domi skills in raids:
    1) Arresting presence on the bossfight with really nasty spellcasting adds (Herald in RoS). You don't have to keep it on all the time, just switch it on for a few secs to silence the nasty add and interrupt it cast, and then switch it off. That is 11 point in Domi can be taken as secodary soul for your raid Archon 51)
    2) Reflect is doing about 20% of last GP boss HP damage over the fight (you need to reflect Fist of Lathys). That is 6 point in Domi soul and also option for seconday soul for Archon 51
    3)Maybe there are some uses for a Reflective Presence with 3 points in Empowered Presence but i don't know for wich boss fights exactly. Is there any boss fight with a lot of singletargeted nukes and debuffs from boss and adds? (Uruluuk maybe)
    That doesn't count. Those are mechanics built in to try and make dominator look useful. OooOooo a boss in a 10 man requires reflect. But it could also be interrupted. Once your guild progresses past RoS you may as well interrupt it anyways your dps will be blowing him out of the water before reflect is useful.

And arresting presense for herald can be trumped by sabo aoe or warr aoe silence. But I still use it anyways, just sayin it's not the only way to skin cat.

Quote Originally Posted by ZykeZero View Post
    That doesn't count. Those are mechanics built in to try and make dominator look useful. OooOooo a boss in a 10 man requires reflect. But it could also be interrupted. Once your guild progresses past RoS you may as well interrupt it anyways your dps will be blowing him out of the water before reflect is useful.

And arresting presense for herald can be trumped by sabo aoe or warr aoe silence. But I still use it anyways, just sayin it's not the only way to skin cat.
    Interesting story:

We were having a hard time the trash after Merdantix, focusing 1 target and interrupting 3 others is tricky with 5 melee interrupts on cooldowns, and the 4 caster mobs need to be chain interrupted. The pulls ended up being easysause when we had 2 mages go dom with 3/3 empowered arresting presence.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zs_0.McVzqkq0c
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

I'm curious if Transferance or Mana wrench drain/stop energy regen on Plut. (Granted we don't need it, but it would be neat, and make an otherwise easyish fight even easier)

lgw

Tested when we first went there - they don't.
    ... aka schoklat. PVP nerd - gaming vet.
    First of slackers, herder of trolls.
    Wildstar PVP inc

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Hethroin View Post
    Interesting story:

We were having a hard time the trash after Merdantix, focusing 1 target and interrupting 3 others is tricky with 5 melee interrupts on cooldowns, and the 4 caster mobs need to be chain interrupted. The pulls ended up being easysause when we had 2 mages go dom with 3/3 empowered arresting presence.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zs_0.McVzqkq0c
    Did you try range sabos aoe ground silence? It should accomplish the same thing without sacrificing too much dps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast