+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newly Turned 50 Mage Need Tips

Question Newly Turned 50 Mage Need Tips

Hey guys, i just hit 50 not too long. Slowly trying to learn things as all my past levels all i did was quest and grind. Kinda sad i missed out so much. So basically my build is Necro/Lock you know the one where your very very independant during grinding.

Here is a video of me levelling and i pretty much still have the same build currently.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bvek82eryI

But i heard from people pyro and ele really is an awesome build for raids. I'm pushing towards PVE and was wondering if anyone could share with me some builds and rotations to get me started. This video is extremely interesting as it really shows how powerful the pyro/ele build can get.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1ii6...eature=related

RIFT Community Ambassador bluedot's Avatar

This: http://bluedots.org/2011/04/30/end-game-mage-pve-guide/

Will give you a break down of all the mainstream specs, including Pyro/Ele.

Pyro/Ele is a great single target and AoE spec. However, Necro/Lock will beat it in a movement fight.

Ascendant

I play as a necrolock with the defile/soul purge spec. I do fairly well with it.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

Quote Originally Posted by Chronicar View Post
    I play as a necrolock with the defile/soul purge spec. I do fairly well with it.
    Thats what i am right now, sadly i'm not using any addons so i don't know which would do harder DPS. So thought of havin an alternate pyro/ele build to compare it. I mean the crits in the videos above is insane.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by OblivionDemon View Post
    Thats what i am right now, sadly i'm not using any addons so i don't know which would do harder DPS. So thought of havin an alternate pyro/ele build to compare it. I mean the crits in the videos above is insane.
    I do believe the defile/soul purge spec is said to be the lowest DPS of the necrolock specs however I like the mobility and have had loads of practice with the rotation.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Chronicar View Post
    I do believe the defile/soul purge spec is said to be the lowest DPS of the necrolock specs however I like the mobility and have had loads of practice with the rotation.
    Defile is the best necro/lock spec for mobile fights.

You can use pyro/ele for non-mobile fights. With enough gear pyro/ele seems to beat necro/lock, at least it does for me (1500+ spell power in raid). I feel more comfortable with pyro, so maybe top necro/lock will disagree.. <shrug>

I replaced my sc/ele spec with pyro/ele. It's less aoe dps but I'm not sure that'll be true once I get my synergy crystal. Firestorm is badass.
    Last edited by ururu; 08-15-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by ururu View Post
    That is kind of why I said I like it for the mobility.
    Last edited by Chronicar; 08-15-2011 at 12:04 PM.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

Quote Originally Posted by ururu View Post

You can use pyro/ele for non-mobile fights. With enough gear pyro/ele seems to beat necro/lock, at least it does for me (1500+ spell power in raid). I feel more comfortable with pyro, so maybe top necro/lock will disagree.. <shrug>

I replaced my sc/ele spec with pyro/ele. It's less aoe dps but I'm not sure that'll be true once I get my synergy crystal. Firestorm is badass.
    I still don't see how people are getting comperable numbers with pyro/ele to SC/ele on AE damage.

The SC just seems to do so much more, especially when you do that 1st LF after a lightning storm.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Rift Disciple

The Pyro/Elem spec is a fun on to play and the one I use the most. I currently run this build.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...hxo.Vthz0xkI.V

I have more in Archon than other guides say but I like the 5% Fire damage.I also take Fiery Assault over increased elemental damage as its one more AoE spell in my back pocket.

As for rotation, with Pyro there really is no rotation that is a must have. Other may disagree but you are going to primarily cast Fireball. Its the best spell that yields the best damage for the time to cast. Cinder Burst is great but it has a 6 sec cast time, You have a 3:1 fireball:cinder burst ratio that adds up over time.

If you try this build, you should always have Fire Armor running, it will give you 5% more fire damage. There are times when you want this over written not many that I have found. The key is knowing how to run the Pyro. You can also try to keep your Piliing Stone buff up but not at the expense of your other spells. Once you get it up you can through one in every 5 minutes to keep it up, I typically do this as one of the first casts when its about to expire.

I dont really use macros since you are only casting Fireball. Wildfire will give you basically 4 Flame Bolt casts back to back to back to back before it goies into cool down. I typically just cast those when they proc and then go back to frieball until it procs again. So Here is what I would call my rotation.

1. Cast Countdown <-- only time I cast it at the begining of a fight
    2. Pillaging Stone <- To reset my buff if its up
    3. Ground Of Power <- Added for increased fire damage
    4. Heat Wave <- When it off cooldown, giving me approx 18 fireballs over 15 seconds. Huge!
    5. Internalize Charge when charge is maxed for 20% bonus
    6. Fireball
    7. Flame Bolt if Wildfire procs
    8. Inferno <- When target below 30% health and off CD
    9. Return to 4

This all assumes you have a tank and spank fight, if you have to move, and youhave time, you can cast Burning Shield to pick up your ground spell and shield you then move to a new spot and pick up at step 3. You could macro some of this but really its one spell and a few others when they proc or need fired off. If you watch the video, you will see him fire off Heat Wave and go through a rapid casting for fireball spells.

If you are in a group, with all buffs up, you should easily hit 1000 per Fireball just like the video. If take all the crit points in Elem, you should be crit'ing for 2500-4000 and you can see that in the video as well. I also did not see Fire Armor running and he could get more damage if that is running in other fights.

Hope that helps!

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Phenglai View Post
    snip
    Sorry, but quite a lot of this information is either outdated, or plain wrong.

I reckon your best bet is to take a look at some of bluedot's guides, starting with this one http://bluedots.org/category/endgamemagepveguide/, and then taking a look at some of the specific build guides.
    Last edited by Void Seraphi; 08-15-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Void Seraphi View Post

I reckon your best bet is to take a look at some of bluedot's guides, starting with this one http://bluedots.org/category/endgamemagepveguide/, and then taking a look at some of the specific build guides.
    I knew better than to offer advice on here. There seems to be only one person who can offer advice and who is not instantly refuted.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Hethroin View Post
    I still don't see how people are getting comperable numbers with pyro/ele to SC/ele on AE damage.

The SC just seems to do so much more, especially when you do that 1st LF after a lightning storm.
    -2x intensify elements (due to heat wave)
    -stopcast firestorm on 2nd tick
    -firestorm hits 10 targets
    -167% spell coefficient on firestorm

at some spell power value firestorm hits harder than sc can do with any combination of spells. with 1500 spell power I've hit 4000+ on 30-1m trash pulls. this about equals what I can do with stormcaller. perhaps others can do more with sc (shrug), I don't claim to be the best sc mage. add in more spellpower from synergy crystal or hammerknell gear and IMO pyro/ele is pulling ahead.

plus, more importantly, pyro rotation doesn't give one headaches and carpal tunnel single target damage. necro/lock is ok but building storm is such a pain.
    Last edited by ururu; 08-15-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Void Seraphi View Post

You talk about outdated and link to a guide that hasn't been updated in 4 months?

RIFT Community Ambassador bluedot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhat View Post
    You talk about outdated and link to a guide that hasn't been updated in 4 months?
    4 days.. check the big red letters at the top.

@Phenglai
    Your writeup is actually really good, however there are a few areas I would address.

Due to the Burning Bright talent in the Pyromancer tree any point you spend in the Pyromancer tree gives you 1.2% Fire damage. So the points in Soul Fire would be better spent anywhere in the Pyro tree. (1.2 > 1)

Wildfire isn't worth taking. Flame Bolt does less DPS then Fireball, and you have Ignite, Countdown, and Flicker to use while moving. You can use this macro:

#show Fireball
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Flame Bolt
    cast Fireball
    cast Countdown
    cast Ignite

By spamming that your Improved Flame Bolt buff (10% fire damage) is automatically refreshed at the appropriate times, and you can spam the same button while moving to continue to cast your Instants.

Fire Armor is great for AoE, but Pyro Armor is better DPS. Keep in mind that 5% is not a real 5%, that bonus is added to all your other Fire Damage bonuses before being applied. You can see the effect of this by hitting a dummy with and without Fire Armor up, it won't be a full 5% bonus.

Burning Shield is a great self shield, but it doesn't help your DPS. Ground of Power is a 1.5 second cast time, so making it instant cast doesn't make your next spell come any quicker. Unless you need the shield aspect use that time to cast your instants.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Phenglai View Post
    I knew better than to offer advice on here. There seems to be only one person who can offer advice and who is not instantly refuted.
    My apologies, I did not mean to offend and would not in a million years wish to dissuade somebody from offering advice, I was merely pointing out that some of the advice your offered was not exactly optimal. If you took my criticism to be patronising or otherwise distasteful, please know that it was not my intention. I merely wish to help the thread creator in the best way I can, and part of my method unfortunately involved refuting your claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhat View Post
    A lot of the information on that guide is still very much reliable, and in the case of a few of the builds, even more than when it was first made.

However, you make an excellent point, so I shall list the builds on that page you will want to be looking at:

Pyro/Ele: Relatively unchanged. The only difference is that Internalise Charge drains charge more slowly. Still shouldn't be used on movement heavy fight.

Necrolock, 35/31 build: This remains more or less unchanged, but soul purge requires less charge... Not really a considerable change, but it may have improved dps nonetheless.

Defile Necrolock: This build improved considerably due to the charge consumption changes, and is one of the best builds to use on movement heavy fights due to very good maintained dps, but unfortunately it lacks any burst dps.

SC/Ele: While there are new rotations floating around, the one listed still works fine, and you may even be able to have Static Flux up for a few more cloudbursts now. Still shouldn't be used on pure single target fights, as Pyro/Ele or Necrolock is usually better (Which one depends on the fight itself), but on aoe fights, it is a godsend.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Void Seraphi; 08-15-2011 at 02:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast