+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice for new mage :-)

Smile Advice for new mage :-)

I'm a semi-new RIFT player and I recently rolled a mage. I've been playing a cleric mostly and just decided to try mage for giggles, and have completely fallen in love. My new mage, made Saturday morning after walking the dog, is now almost to the level that my cleric was and with some good gear too.

I've been enjoying pyro/ele/xx for leveling (I'm working on this build) but I've really wanted to try chloro for dungeon healing. I read a quick guide and put a build together...but man. I couldn't keep the tank up in RoF :-( We got through the trash fine, a few spikey moments which I anticipated, but I just couldn't keep the tank alive during a boss fight. It was just the spike damage that was killing him; I'd do a quick save with a bloom but then it'd be on CD for the next 'OMIGOSH' moment.

Any advice on how to build a chloro for solo healing while leveling? I don't have all the goodies that the rotations in the guides have yet, so I'm not sure if I should just stick to support...but I really want to learn since I know learning to heal while leveling will make the transition at the cap easier (I think).

I'd appreciate any advice as far as build, rotation, etc...

Edit: Doh. My mage's current level 17.
    Last edited by MissMarmalade; 08-15-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MissMarmalade View Post
    I'm a semi-new RIFT player and I recently rolled a mage. I've been playing a cleric mostly and just decided to try mage for giggles, and have completely fallen in love. My new mage, made Saturday morning after walking the dog, is now almost to the level that my cleric was and with some good gear too.

I've been enjoying pyro/ele/xx for leveling (I'm working on this build) but I've really wanted to try chloro for dungeon healing. I read a quick guide and put a build together...but man. I couldn't keep the tank up in RoF :-( We got through the trash fine, a few spikey moments which I anticipated, but I just couldn't keep the tank alive during a boss fight. It was just the spike damage that was killing him; I'd do a quick save with a bloom but then it'd be on CD for the next 'OMIGOSH' moment.

Any advice on how to build a chloro for solo healing while leveling? I don't have all the goodies that the rotations in the guides have yet, so I'm not sure if I should just stick to support...but I really want to learn since I know learning to heal while leveling will make the transition at the cap easier (I think).

I'd appreciate any advice as far as build, rotation, etc...

Edit: Doh. My mage's current level 17.
    Queue as support role for starters. Don't expect to just go main heal after you just started playing it.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by MissMarmalade View Post
    Any advice on how to build a chloro for solo healing while leveling? I don't have all the goodies that the rotations in the guides have yet, so I'm not sure if I should just stick to support...
    Make sure you have at least 2 separate specs. One for leveling (dps) and one for healing.

Try this build out: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zRvz.VdIzo.xo

This will give you synthesis, which is a must have for being a tank healer. Use nature's touch, vile spores, and ruin, and make sure you have LifeBoundVeil up, not LifeGiving. Keep radiant spores up, use entropic veil when you have lots of charge, Bloom and Flourish for spike dmg, Sacrifice Life Damage when you need mana. You may want to wait until lvl 18 before running dungeons so you have a rez

Zero point archon will give you 2 in combat abilities that will buff you, pilaging stone and searing vitality. Use them, and keep them up for some nice stat increases.

Also, you are fully capable of solo healing a dungeon at your lvl, regardless of what other people say. You do not need to only queue as "support", you just need practice ;)
    Last edited by Sinnarr; 08-15-2011 at 10:33 AM.

Advice:

Don't get 50 because I'm don't like it when Chlorolocks kite me to death
    Got an itch for anime? Visit my anime thread here!
    Nexiga
    Retired from Rift

Until you get improved synthesis you need to just go support. Trion didn't fully think out the affects of giving chloro two different veils and thus if you're under level 50, you have the hardest time main healing a dungeon vs. clerics.

The two veils are nice at 50 but not pre-50. My best advice is the advice already given, don't queue as a healer until you can spec into improved synthesis talents.
    Last edited by Mayakov; 08-15-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Pretty much what I was figuring after spending some time reading tooltips/etc and guides. My big bad was that I used the wrong veil AND didn't have synthesis, but I didn't know better. Now I do! I was like a rogue tank going in without guardian phase, basically >.<

I've been queuing as support so I can get a feel for the build. Main healing on my cleric was just so much easier, I think I probably overestimated myself XD

Thanks for the spec tips. And yeah, rez is useful. >.>

Since there is a 30 min queue on level 44 dungeons for dps, I thought to queue as support chloro/lock. Lol, the tank was a rogue (warriors are gone from all aspects of the game it seems, at least at low levels) and rogue tanks are squishy as ****. Was a pretty nasty experience keeping him up with the main healer and I have no intention of repeating it so I'll queue as dps from now on, regardles of 30 min queues.

Soulwalker

try the Chloro-lock while leveling (and in the warfronts...very fun at the low levels). Us chloro's really cant solo heal a dungeon till post 40. Up till then your lifegiving veil with a few heals thrown in for help is really all you can do. However, as a DPS with some healing you will rock in a group. Evenly split your Chloro and warlock points with a 0 pt Elemental (for the tough rocky pet) and you can solo large groups to your hearts content. Tried the other specs but I loved the heals and damage power of Chloro-Warlock too much to go back.

Telaran

I am confused - I am a new rift player and have made a chloro mage (started the game last night) and have gotten to level 23.5 currently.

I see people saying to use lifebound and not lifegiving.

This is the part that confuses me - reading the spell descriptions they only have 2 differences.

Livebound Veil - Causes Life damage dealt by the Mage to heal up to 5 allies within 20 meters for 15% of the damage done for 1 hour. All other spell damage dealt by the Mage heals allies for 5% of the damage done. Spells that damage more than one target have healing generated by Lifebound Veil reduced by 80%. Life based damage over time effects heal allies for 25% of the damage done by the first damaging tick of the effect. The Mage cannot receive healing from other Lifebound Veil or Lifegiving Veil effects while affected by this buff. Does not trigger a global cooldown.

Lifegiving Veil - Causes Life damage dealt by the Mage to heal up to 5 allies within 20 meters for 80% of the damage done for 1 hour. All other spell damage dealt by the Mage heals allies for 5% of the damage done. Spells that damage more than one target have healing generated by Lifegiving Veil reduced by 80%. Life based damage over time effects heal allies for 90% of the damage done by the first damaging tick of the effect. The Mage cannot receive healing from other Lifegiving Veil or Lifebound Veil effects while affected by this buff. Does not trigger a global cooldown.

Why is there 2 abilities that do almost the exact same thing, and why is one so much more healing% than the other, with no other variances in the spell description.

And why are people saying to use the lesser of the two?

Like I said, I am very new to rift, but this is boggling me, is there something I am blatantly not seeing? am i blind? Or is there some hidden mechanic somewhere that I don't know about that makes the one so much better than the other?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman1 View Post
    I am confused - I am a new rift player and have made a chloro mage (started the game last night) and have gotten to level 23.5 currently.

I see people saying to use lifebound and not lifegiving.

This is the part that confuses me - reading the spell descriptions they only have 2 differences.

Livebound Veil - Causes Life damage dealt by the Mage to heal up to 5 allies within 20 meters for 15% of the damage done for 1 hour. All other spell damage dealt by the Mage heals allies for 5% of the damage done. Spells that damage more than one target have healing generated by Lifebound Veil reduced by 80%. Life based damage over time effects heal allies for 25% of the damage done by the first damaging tick of the effect. The Mage cannot receive healing from other Lifebound Veil or Lifegiving Veil effects while affected by this buff. Does not trigger a global cooldown.

Lifegiving Veil - Causes Life damage dealt by the Mage to heal up to 5 allies within 20 meters for 80% of the damage done for 1 hour. All other spell damage dealt by the Mage heals allies for 5% of the damage done. Spells that damage more than one target have healing generated by Lifegiving Veil reduced by 80%. Life based damage over time effects heal allies for 90% of the damage done by the first damaging tick of the effect. The Mage cannot receive healing from other Lifegiving Veil or Lifebound Veil effects while affected by this buff. Does not trigger a global cooldown.

Why is there 2 abilities that do almost the exact same thing, and why is one so much more healing% than the other, with no other variances in the spell description.

And why are people saying to use the lesser of the two?

Like I said, I am very new to rift, but this is boggling me, is there something I am blatantly not seeing? am i blind? Or is there some hidden mechanic somewhere that I don't know about that makes the one so much better than the other?
    The thing you're missing isn't in the tooltips of LGV or LBV.
    It's in the tooltips of other abilities. Take a look at Synthesis, Natural Fusion(I think that's Improved Synth), Void Life, Empathic Bond(this isn't really a big one, but know that you can activate this if you have LGV active and a Synthesis up somewhere from before you switched to LGV), and Nature's Touch.
    Last edited by cyborg99; 08-15-2011 at 10:41 PM.

+ Reply to Thread