+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Mages are underpowered.

Rift Disciple

Default Mages are underpowered.

So, we do the least burst damage, we have the longest build up time, we have the most ways to counter(interupt, setback, stun, silence, manna drain, spell slow, fear) we have poor armor a low health pool, no good way to mitigate damage, CC that rarely works or if they work will only work once.

There are more ways to get into melee range in this game then there are to get out of it, and sadly there is only one skill in the mage tree that gets us out of melee range, and that is blink, however other classes have many ways mixed within each tree to get back into melee range instantly or just spam rdps.

Other classes have many instant skills all doing more burst damage then any mage skill, they get this damage at no cost to them selves. some classes with the ability to output insane rpds also can output the same dps at melee range while maintaining overall utility.

We have no choice, other classes can pick between many souls to pvp, mages can't, if we try to be interesting we will die quicker or output half the damage for utility that is of little help.

my complaints go deeper then this, but rather then create a wall of whine i will state what i feel could help the class.

~mage GDC, we are atm at 1.5 sec cooldown, we are meant to be the ranged dps counter part of rogue, i feel that we should have a 1 sec gcd, we do no hybrid melee like clerics, we are ranged and as such should have a 1sec gcd.

~the mage skill manna shield from the pvp line top tir 6 skill should become a standard level 50 mage skill for use in all trees but should be slightly altered. 50% DR while active drains manna at 0,5 manna per 2 damage. lowers mage damage by 15% due to having to channel arcane powers through the shield.

~mages need more skills in the trees to allow for a more defensive spec, i would like to spec lower damage for better DR(damage reduction).

~mages need a way to CC, mages should be on their own deminishing returns, this would not ofc be the case for mass aoe CC or poly/sleep skills, only roots and snares.

~mages need to have some of thier damage given back, we have to work 100x harder, put up with 100x more stress, are the most limited class, and are meant to be masters of the arcane as such out damage should be higher.

~ mages need more mobility, we need more moves we can instantly cast or channel while moving.

thats about it imho, and i would like to add to the people that will say mages are fine and that i need to learn to play, the mages who are doing well are serioulsy skilled players, 1 in 100 players can play a mage well, 90 in 100 players can play a warrior well.

to shine as a mage you have to play 100x better then everyone else, so think how scary those mages will be when they give up on thier trion hated class and roll a warrior/rog or cleric?
    i7 2600k @5.6 1.45v load line extreme
    p8pdelux phase exetreme
    crucial SSD 355 mbs read 70/write
    samsung 2tb hdd
    2x Hd5970 toxic 1000/1200 (only 2 gpu in use for rift)
    8gb ddr3 corsair vengance
    win7 64bit

hxxp://www.Mages-are-underpowered.NOT

Last edited by Elerina; 08-15-2011 at 02:42 AM.

I only agree about the mobility part. Snares should be removed from DR and we should have more mobility given in some trees, like elementalist.

A lot of mages are doing fine right now, but some specs are next to useless. Elementalist should be made more viable, same thing for deep pyro or 51 necro. Overall, we also need a little bit more defensive cds against ranged attacks.

But the most important thing is, FIX OUR bugs!

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-new-list.html

Telaran

Nobody wants to read your ********. Since warriors got nerfed to the ground, mages are free casting to top. Are you completly blind?
    GSB 5/5, RoS 5/5, GP 4/4, DH 4/4, HK 2/10

Quote Originally Posted by direwind View Post
    ~mages need more skills in the trees to allow for a more defensive spec, i would like to spec lower damage for better DR(damage reduction).

~mages need a way to CC, mages should be on their own deminishing returns, this would not ofc be the case for mass aoe CC or poly/sleep skills, only roots and snares.

~mages need to have some of thier damage given back, we have to work 100x harder, put up with 100x more stress, are the most limited class, and are meant to be masters of the arcane as such out damage should be higher.

~ mages need more mobility, we need more moves we can instantly cast or channel while moving.
    Missed the quest for unlocking warlock? Good thing you can buy it for 20g now. You will find it's not that hard to beat the warriors any more. All it takes is to click left mouse button 31 times when designing you role. Then if you still fail, all I can give you is a 3-character-abbreviation, starting with a letter, then a digit, then another letter...
    Leoncoeur <HALT HAMMERZEIT>, R7 Warrior → 1026 Valor → Whitefall[PvP] Defiant

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by LIBELLA View Post
    Nobody wants to read your ********. Since warriors got nerfed to the ground, mages are free casting to top. Are you completly blind?

nerfed? i was playing an alt a rogue level 45 marks, a warrior chain hit me for 1200 x4 in a row. he was doing it to everyone. name was dabbies or some thing.
    p8pdelux phase exetreme
    samsung 2tb hdd
    win7 64bit

Rift Disciple

There are no counters to warrior premades. Dominator? Only good against casters now because transference has been made useless. Apart from incapacitate from rogues, CC will be dispelled. Marksmen? Lol warriors have more gap breakers then DR allows for snares and marksmen do pitiful damage against warriors.

nerfed? i was playing an alt a rogue level 45 marks, a warrior chain hit me for 1200 x4 in a row. he was doing it to everyone. name was dabbies or some thing.
    Low lvl warfronts = no valor = waynetrain *choo choo*

Telaran

You should check into your numbers. Nothing a warrior does crit for more than 1k on a decent geared player.

Good PvP 2400 crits went down to 700 this weekend.

Hotfixes, read em.
    GSB 5/5, RoS 5/5, GP 4/4, DH 4/4, HK 2/10

Rift Master

You should check into your numbers. Nothing a warrior does crit for more than 1k on a decent geared player.

Good PvP 2400 crits went down to 700 this weekend.

Hotfixes, read em.
    My 900 valor mage was crit for 2400 by a warrior before the hotfix. You're saying he'll get hit for 700 now, huh?

This is basically politics.

Plane Touched

On Topic: I'd say mages need their break free to be a blink like flicker from the pyro tree, but other than that we usually seem fine... Though our PvP options are limited. If you want extreme burst, try out stormcaller, or pyro/dom. If you want to help heal, go chloro. If you want to screw over a caster's day, go dominator. Our choices are rather limited, especially against geared opponents, but I kinda gave up on trion caring about mage PvP a while back. Make do with what you have.

Off Topic: I saw a warrior go from tickling me to trucking me over this hotfix. If their damage went down then I certainly didn't see it. I have 1k valor and 8.3k health easy in my solo spec, and it goes down like it's nothing against some of these warriors. You can't even escape them either, so many gap closers.... Soo many....

Ascendant

mages tend to be more extreme than the other classes - you can spec for huge survivability, you can spec for huge burst, you can spec for huge cc&support, getting all of this in one build and still be viable is pretty hard if not impossible.
    and imho that's good.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

yes 10k hp chlorogods are underpowered.

and pyros with 3k fulminate and 2k fireball

and sc with 5k crits

and thats all on 800+ valor
    Adalie r8 Rogue - Icewatch
    Acex r6 Cleric - Icewatch
    Gran r8 warrior - Icewatch

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Acex View Post
    yes 10k hp chlorogods are underpowered.

and pyros with 3k fulminate and 2k fireball

and sc with 5k crits

and thats all on 800+ valor

i would like to see some dated proof of that please.
    p8pdelux phase exetreme
    samsung 2tb hdd
    win7 64bit

i would like to see some dated proof of that please.
    you haven't seen the SS's of SC's yet .... have you even looked at the other threads?
    Last edited by Vaine; 08-15-2011 at 04:58 AM.
    <The Unnamed> GSB 5/5 ROS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 10/11
    Lace - Whitefall- R8 Warrior
    Mythril - Whitefall- R8 Cleric

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast