+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Riftforpresident

Thread: so i did my first expert dungeon as a Mage and holy shi- i need help DPSing!

Prophet of Telara

Default so i did my first expert dungeon as a Mage and holy shi- i need help DPSing!

I have somewhere around 700 SP and 500 crit (I know these are low but I just hit 50 yesterday and farmed all day yesterday and today to get plat so I can buy crafted gear to do T1s and T2s) and around 120 focus. The other DPS, a warrior, was doing anywhere from 600-1100 DPS while I was floating around 400-600 (the support cleric guy was doing around 450 DPS *and* 250 HPS!).

I used Archon to get Crumbling Resistance (more magic damage), Warlock to get charge + opp proc + Neddra's Torture (for more magic damage again), and the rest of the points went into Pyro.

What's a good starting build for doing experts?

I was so embarrassed that I just queued support next time and the mage was doing anywhere from 600-800 DPS. I looked at the ACT parse and it looks like he's NecroLock. Is this the preferred DPS build in expert dungeons these days?

Thanks for any replies.

Shield of Telara

There are lots of viable dps builds, but some combination of necro/lock, or sc/ele, or pyro/ele, or necro/dom are all competitive in different kinds of fights. sc/ele is a good starting point since it is good damage at low gear levels and has both good ae and single target.

bluedot has some good build and play guides.

its normal, yes spec will help some but a huge amount of it will be gear and experience. When I started doing experts on my mage i was pulling 500 dps, now thanks to being in tier 2-2.5 gear, and getting use to when to use what skills more (its different from lower lv as you can cast anything and stuff will still die fast) i can pull 1k on a boss fight in the same spec

Rift Master

500-600 DPS single target is totally fine for a T2 and will pass all the deeps checks.

It's the DPS that are between 200 and 400 that are a 'problem'.

Anyways tips, make sure you rune everything, get a full source machine going, and participate in raid rifts whenever you can.
    Last edited by Mezkh; 08-14-2011 at 07:32 PM.

Honestly, 14 Archon has no place in any kind of a dps build. Go to bluedots.org and use one of those specs until you're comfortable with mage dps. For five man dungeons, one of the SC/ELE variants will do just fine, and will make things much speedier on trash. Do yourself a favor and read up on how the mechanics of the Charged Field ability work.

Rift Disciple

I use Pyro/Elementalist build like the one on Bluedots' site for my dungeon dps spec. Excellent single target for bosses and respectable aoe. Only downside to this build is no active mana restore in combat. You have to wait til out of combat to use charge to gain mana or drink. Usually it's not a problem unless the fight goes over 5 minutes or so then I'm popping mana pots. In a raid you'd get more regen from raid buffs so this largely goes away, but in 5 mans it can be a little annoying at times.

If you are having mana issues, spec 34/32 rather than 35/31. That way you get Channel Elements, which can be cast in combat.

Default 51ele/7Wl/8Chloro

If you want to try something different with a very easy, yet effective rotation, I recommend Elementalist(51) / Warlock (7) / Chloromancer (8)
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...kRgkAtz.xb.x0h

This build has really great single target dps and decent multi-target damage as well. Plus, you can summon your earth elemental in a pinch for some group saving off-tanking.

And yet again, this build is tested and guided by the almighty Bluedot:
    http://bluedots.org/2011/05/12/51-elementalist-guide/
    Last edited by Obyran; 08-15-2011 at 07:16 AM.
    Obryn- 50 Cleric: Druid, Warden, Justicar
    Devilweed- 50 Mage: Chloromancer, Warlock, Elementalist
    Obyran- 50 Rouge: "Bard"
    Defiant of Briarcliff <Damaged PvPness>

Telaran

The biggest gain you can make to your DPS is making sure you have a good rotation down. Since it is all time vs damage in a DPS check you don't want to waste time.

However, don't fret too much on the DPS meter you have a ways to go before you MUST parse a certain number and your gear will constantly get better.

The nice thing is once your gear gets competitive you can play what you want and still pull good DPS.
    I run 51 Necro for raiding and usually parse 2nd or 3rd.
    Last edited by Riftforpresident; 08-15-2011 at 07:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread