+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lock / Necro.. different rotations and their parses

Shadowlander

Exclamation Lock / Necro.. different rotations and their parses

Hello peeps!

I was juggling my lock/necro rotations around a bit, by adding Grave Rot and Soul Purge and seeing how they affected my DPS on the dummy.

My stats:

1264 SP
    708 SC
    323 Focus

The ONLY buffs I had on were Warlock Armor and Neddra's Might. I did NOT use pillaging stone for any of those parses.

I tried 4 different rotations within the same spec today.

Here is the spec:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...uo0c.jeRhzVVxo

And the Macro:
    #show Draining Bolt
    suppressmacrofailures
    petattack
    petcast Blood Spike
    petcast Soul Rend
    petcast Jagged Wound
    cast Neddra's Torture
    cast Sacrifice Life: Damage
    cast Draining Bolt
    cast Void Bolt

And here are the rotations and their parses:

This is the standard Defile rotation parse.

This is how I start.

Life Leech > Necrosis > Dark Touch > Defile > Looming Demise > Spam Macro. Refresh dots when needed.

Standard stuff. Heres the parse.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-L...dard_total.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-u...dard_flagg.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-5...andard_pet.jpg

This is the Defile + Graverot parse.

Basically, its the same as the standard rotation, while adding Grave Rot into the mix (I usually cast it after a Defile refresh). Grave Rot applies Deathly Calling stacks on the target (max 5).
    Deathly Calling benefits your pet's abilities in several ways:
    A- Soul Rend deals 30% more damage per stack on the mob.
    B- Blood Spike consumes a stack to reduce its cooldown by 2 seconds.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-G...erot_total.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-x...erot_flagg.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-o...averot_pet.jpg

This is the Defile + Soul Purge parse.

Standard rotation, I cast Soul Purge after the second full dot refresh cycle. I always cast Void Bolt right before casting Soul Purge and right after casting it too, so as to make sure Life Leech doesnt drop. I did not use Grave Rot in this parse.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-M...urge_total.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-B...urge_flagg.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-K...lpurge_pet.jpg

This is the Defile + Grave Rot + Soul Purge.

Ok, now things REALLY get messy. Adding both Grave Rot AND Soul Purge into the rotation makes it significantly harder. This parse was by no means clean, Life Leech dropped 2-3 times, and I ran out of charge (resulting in Defile dropping) 2-3 times as well. Thats why this parse is a little longer than the others (5 mins compared to 3), but as Lock/Necro is a very stable-dps spec it shouldnt really make a difference, I just needed the extra time to properly get into the rotation.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-H...hing_total.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-N...hing_flagg.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8...ything_pet.jpg

Conclusion:

Soul Purge is definitely a DPS boost, and it only gets better. It has a higher spell power coefficient than Void Bolt, so it will scale a lot better in raids and with better gear. Grave Rot is also a nice DPS boost to the pet. I am not sure if Deathly Calling stacks are shareable amongst all raid Mages or not, but I will look into that and let you know here.

Another thing, is that it seems Blood Spike (BS) doesnt benefit like it should from Deathly Calling. The ONLY factor affecting Blood Spike rate is how much time you spend spamming the macro, obviously the more spells in your rotation the less your spamming it. Here is some quick maths:

Standard rotation: 7.95 BS/ minute (spamming macro more than other specs).
    Grave Rot rotation: 7.85 BS/ minute (spamming macro a little less than Standard rotation).
    Soul Purge rotation: 7.8 BS/ minute (spamming macro even less).
    Grave Rot + Soul Purge rotation: 7.61 BS/ minute (least macro spam).

Apart from that, as you can see, the highest parse is the Grave Rot + Soul Purge parse. As I said, it is a lot more complicated and messy, but its my first time trying it and im sure it gets better with practice. Also, if you can drop Neddra's Torture (and possibly Looming Demise) from this rotation in a raid (if other Lock/Necro's are using it), then it will be a lot easier to manage.

Try it out fellas and let me know what you think.
    Flagg, Level 50 Mage @ Bloodiron EU
    Guild <Superiority Complex>

Soulwalker

I can tell you that you can increase your dps greatly if you assign lower gear mage to take care of looming demise and keep stack of deathly calling up for you. What I am not sure is will one mage doing grave rot will be enough if 2 other necro/lock to leech off the debuff. I am not sure that using the Sacrifice Life: Damage in your macro is such a good idea mainly you want to use it just before you refresh all your debuff. so that macro could mess that up which end up not using it at it fullest potential.

on the other note. you can usually get rid of the Neddra's Torture in raid because Injusticar have similar debuff and they usually able to keep it up 100%. So that one extra void bolt or soul purge to further increase your dps

Do you hapen to know if Draining Bolt great essence help increase dps compare to additional lesser or not and same as Adnornese Shadeshard from raid Death rift.

Anyhow, Thank you for your work. glad to see someone went to parsers this out and explain in detail.
    Last edited by aiolus; 08-14-2011 at 05:05 AM.

Shadowlander

Thanks for the info about Deathly Decay being shared aiolus! Aye, im pretty sure 1 person doing Grave rot will not be sufficient for 3 mages with pets (which we usually run with), usually at least 2 of us are applying it.

I have the sac life/damage in the macro as I always tend to forget using it from CD to CD, and at least this way its going to be used more and will include 1 dot rotation. Someone who is more attentive will be able to use it better, ofc :P

And yeah, only using Neddra's torture for the dummy atm.

Its a real shame that Blood Spiked is bugged tbh, that would be a very nice DPS boost if it worked as intended id imagine.

As far as I know, the draining bolt greater essence is pretty useless, as the 111 damage is spread over the duration of the dot and not per tick, so definitely SP/int will scale your dots a lot better.
    Flagg, Level 50 Mage @ Bloodiron EU
    Guild <Superiority Complex>

Soulwalker

yeah, the essence is an extra 444 damage every 30 seconds under perfect conditions. That is just under 15dps, which isn't great, doesn't scale, costs a lot of stones, and if you get called on to switch to Chloro because the normal Chloro guy has his wife show up in the doorway wearing nothing but socks and a smile, you are going to be hurting.

Soulwalker

A few comments. I played with this on the practice dummies, and I noted a few things.

1) The deathly calling boost to soul rend was noticeable. about 10 dps in my T2/T3 level gear.

2) Grave rot itself does more damage than a void bolt on a single target. About 8%. But given the cooldown it ended up being only about 4 dps for me.

3) grave rot generates less charge per cast than void bolt. Not sure how to translate that into dps, but it will have slight negative impact.

My take is that if you can execute this perfectly, you will see a minor dps boost, but if by mistake life leech drops off even once you are probably in negative territory.

Soulwalker

Ah great that i ask about the draining bolt greater before i wasted 50 stone for that. What about the Adorned Shadeshard? seeing how if you run non defile spec with good ration majority of ur damage come from the soul purge. So if you able to time it just right 175 spell power is a huge dps b/c soul purge only use 1 stack of that.

Another thing that in the raid environment it lead me to believe that if you were running 31 necro 35 lock spec your soul purge should be at top and should be doing atlesat 1/4 of your overall dps.
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t.../Plutparse.png ( This isn't me btw, it was one of the mage that post in other topic)

What I don't understand is how what do i have to do to get soul purge to hit that hard. best I could do is around 300-350 dps in raid setting. 500 is a huge gap for me. I have similar stats for that person self buff too.

any tips on how to get the above parse? like what type of raid composition is needed to reach aside from one mage taken care of looming and deathly calling debuff for you.

*any1 have parser for defile spec doing 1900 yet? I want to see how am I doing on keeping up the rotation in term of % of each skill.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by aiolus; 08-14-2011 at 07:01 AM.

Soulwalker

I also experimented around with the petattack macros. I had trouble believing that using pet macros would lead to a large dps increase and wanted to see for myself.

It did.

But I was curious why. I ran 5 minute parses with the pet on AI casting, and another spamming a petattack macro. The big difference between the parses was with auto attack. The macro was getting almost twice as much damage, autoattacking twice as often.

I am not sure why this is, but my guess is stupid AI, where the autoattack isn't made if one of the casting attacks has a cooldown up. You can see this when you compare the casting. The macro results in more attack animations.

Anyway, I can't see spamming a single button effectively during an entire fight. Carpal tunnel will take all the fun out of the game, and it will cause issues keeping damage going during mobility phases. So what I did instead was create macros for each individual spell in the lock rotation, and added the pet attack macro to the front. That way, I can hit whatever spell I want to hit next in my rotation. When I tried this, it lead to some bizarre results.

Pet damage remained good, but jagged wounds and soul rend were casting more often than their cooldowns should allow. For instance, I got 81 jagged wounds off in a 4:30 parse, which is a cast every 3.333 seconds.

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/8007/parsez.jpg

If anyone sees anything I didn't, insight would be greatly appreciated.

Rift Chaser

Lets put some things to rest.

1) Looming demise is cast once every 60 seconds. (You don't lose any noticeable DPS to keep it up)
    2) Grave Rot is instant and only used every ~20 seconds. (You also lose no DPS for using it as its a dot)
    3) 31/35 is not the best spec for NecroLock (either is defile)
    4) The rotations being used in OP are, for the most part, wrong.
    5) Real Necro/Lock in the right spec, using the proper rotation, get up to 2400 DPS Single Target on long fights like Prime with limited movement mechanics.

And no I'm not going to spoon feed the spec and rotation to you.

Spam this macro when you soul purge and use a medium spell queue

#show Soul Purge
    suppressmacrofailures
    petcast Blood Spike
    petcast Soul Rend
    petcast Jagged Wound
    cast Soul Purge

win
    Last edited by Pendu; 08-14-2011 at 08:38 AM.
    it's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society

Quote Originally Posted by NerfMePlease View Post

1) Looming demise is cast once every 60 seconds. (You don't lose any noticeable DPS to keep it up)
    2) Grave Rot is instant and only used every ~20 seconds. (You also lose no DPS for using it as its a dot)
    5) Real Necro/Lock in the right spec, using the proper rotation, get up to 2400 DPS Single Target on long fights like Prime with limited movement mechanics.

Make big claims then don't back them up.

cool story bro.
    JD - Formerly Archivist
    ||P8 Mage||11/11 HK||
    Breaking Bads @ Seastone
    Recruiting 1 Warrior or Rogue Tank - Apply on the Website!!

Im going to randomly say opinions that are now considered fact, without giving any real proof to my claim and then Im going to be a d*ck and tell you to find out for yourself.

Wow, thanks buddy.

You make yourself look like a complete tool whos only real achievement in life is something in a video game so sacred to you that you're afraid to give out the piece of information that makes you feel as if you have a purpose.
    Last edited by Shhhh; 08-14-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shhhh View Post
    You make yourself look like a complete tool whos only real achievement in life is something in a video game so sacred to you that you're afraid to give out the piece of information that makes you feel as if you have a purpose.
    I wouldn't even give him that much credit.
    Your new world order will lead to none at all.

Soulwalker

Regarding of I notice any big increase in dps when some1 else doing looming demise debuff + deathly calling debuff for you. Last time I parse on target dummy, I notice about 100 dps increase so I would imagine it would be more in raid setup.

So unless i see definite proof other wise in term of what you claim to be 2400 dps. I'll still with what I see to be legitimate rotation.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Darknice View Post
    I also experimented around with the petattack macros. I had trouble believing that using pet macros would lead to a large dps increase and wanted to see for myself.

It did.

But I was curious why. I ran 5 minute parses with the pet on AI casting, and another spamming a petattack macro. The big difference between the parses was with auto attack. The macro was getting almost twice as much damage, autoattacking twice as often.

If anyone sees anything I didn't, insight would be greatly appreciated.
    A few days ago, I completed two regular dungeons, and yesterday my first T1. I did notice that, at times, my pet just stands around doing nothing, and I had to take time out and hit Control 1, or right click on the mob to get him in the fight.

A few minutes ago, I was reading Bluedots roles/specs for end-game mages, and one player made a reference to that happening to him. It seems that some abilities/spells do not activate your pet depending on his settings - until a specific ability/spell is used.

I'm not putting my pet on offensive - learned my lesson long ago as a hunter in WoW, but it's interesting that that happens.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast