+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does playing a mage in pvp get better at higher prestige ranks?

Soulwalker

Default Does playing a mage in pvp get better at higher prestige ranks?

because at rank 4, in full rank 3/4 gear, no matter what spec i play, it feels like my hands have been tied behind my back and some sadist sonova***** is slamming my **** in a door.

I'm not complaining, I just want to know if through my suffering this thing out, is there a light at the end of the tunnel or am I doing it to pass time and collect a bunch of shiny purple gear that's "supposed" to keep me alive but really isn't doing much of anything because being skilled to death in 4-7 seconds by ultra mobile rogues and warriors with better CC was fun the first day but i don't know, it's gotten old.

Rift Disciple

pyro scales really well with spellpower.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Sinandtonic View Post
    pyro scales really well with spellpower.
    the reason pyros got nerfed so hard
    Killianx<Addiction> - Gnarlwood
    Formerly Killianx/Boosted of <Voodoo>
    Back after a Hiatus
    My TwitchTV

Plane Touched

I am rank 6 and its much worse then when I was rank 4..
    There is no light in the end..
    Trion wants you buy consumable to do good dps..
    Last edited by killthedesires; 08-12-2011 at 10:14 PM.

What spec are you running with OP ?

Ascendant

yes it gets better. mages require practice & gear.

assume you must have a burning spellstone up at all times. you'll probably have to craft to support your crack habit. (don't forget the hour consumable too!).

Trion wants you buy consumable to do good dps..
    Here is the reason everybody thinks mages suck: warriors and rogues **** and go use their oilstones. Mages cry and ***** and whine on the forums.

Fact1: melee's are just as crippled without consumables in a raid or pvp setting
    Fact2: mages' consumables are much cheaper then warriors' and easier to make, plus you get refined metal in process which is expensive and sells well.
    Fact3: it takes you ~4 hours to level artificier plus miner plus forager to max. Trust me, I did just that when patch 1.4 hit. If you only level artificier and use AH mats it takes ~1 hour at max.

As far as prestige goes, it's hell below pr4. It's ok to good at pr4-5. After pr6 and especially if you have a decent weapon as well mages start to shine.
    The pyro builds are exceptionally deadly with pr8 gear and after hitting 1700-1900 spell power.
    Last edited by Halman; 08-13-2011 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halman View Post
    Here is the reason everybody thinks mages suck: warriors and rogues **** and go use their oilstones. Mages cry and ***** and whine on the forums.

Fact1: melee's are just as crippled without consumables in a raid or pvp setting
    Fact2: mages' consumables are much cheaper then warriors' and easier to make, plus you get refined metal in process which is expensive and sells well.
    Fact3: it takes you ~4 hours to level artificier plus miner plus forager to max. Trust me, I did just that when patch 1.4 hit. If you only level artificier and use AH mats it takes ~1 hour at max.

As far as prestige goes, it's hell below pr4. It's ok to good at pr4-5. After pr6 and especially if you have a decent weapon as well mages start to shine.
    The pyro builds are exceptionally deadly with pr8 gear and after hitting 1700-1900 spell power.
    melee are far from the same as mages without their consumables, mages need consumables to compete, melee do not.

this game should not be balanced around expensive consumables.

and yes there is a problem with how mages cant get away from melee due to broken CC

short answer OP : a little bit does get better, instead of dieing in 3-4 hits you might survive 6 and hope to god you get healed.

long answer: if you play any other calling with full rank 6 gear you will feel ripped off because mages as a whole calling, is rather rubbish

Sword of Telara

so much QQ, so little time.

Dominator, chloro and lock.
    Pick 2.
    Read the description of dominator skills 2x because you'll be amazed at how many people dont know what domi's can do.
    Win.

Please note: you will die on occasion. This does not make mages UP. This just means that the other guy killed you first.

Soulwalker

Well... I don't understand why there is so many player QQ about Mage.

as a Mage, I don't have much problems and have fun since rank 0 thru rank 6.

and sure after rank 4, I feel mage is the best class.

Below are some hints of my pvp roles:

1) SC (23pt), have good aoe/ heavy single dps, and can easy to get away from fight

2) Chlor puts strong single target damage in 6~7.5sec, and makes good aoe healing from dps. also can run away from most of melee attack.

3) pyro kites/annoy people with good dps without gets kill most of the time.

4) domlook even in 1.4, is still really good at 1VS1~2, great to use it on defense flag or stones.

I believe everyone should thinks and chooses soul combo to match its play style.

As the way I play, I focus much on positioning, heavy damage in short period (within 8sec) and would keep changing role depends on different situation in each single warfront .

I just wanna say, I'm really happy to play with my mage.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Corebot View Post
    so much QQ, so little time.

Dominator, chloro and lock.
    Pick 2.
    Read the description of dominator skills 2x because you'll be amazed at how many people dont know what domi's can do.
    Win.

Please note: you will die on occasion. This does not make mages UP. This just means that the other guy killed you first.
    Chloro/Dom is ftw.

GSB: 5/5, RoS: 4/4, HK: 10/11
    GP: 4/4, DH: 4/4

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo View Post
    because at rank 4, in full rank 3/4 gear, no matter what spec i play, it feels like my hands have been tied behind my back and some sadist sonova***** is slamming my **** in a door.

I'm not complaining, I just want to know if through my suffering this thing out, is there a light at the end of the tunnel or am I doing it to pass time and collect a bunch of shiny purple gear that's "supposed" to keep me alive but really isn't doing much of anything because being skilled to death in 4-7 seconds by ultra mobile rogues and warriors with better CC was fun the first day but i don't know, it's gotten old.
    It really depends on what kind of "light" you are hoping to see. Because really, the only people i see having a problem with mage pvp at higher rank levels are the ones that can't comprehend the difference between Rift's mage and mages in other games.

Generally speaking, there is no glass cannon/top-of-the-food-chain mage spec that's going to consistently roll people over in pvp. If you are among the countless people insisting on running a squishy min/max damage spec, you are going to spend a fair share of your time getting pummeled by the better players/5 mans (unless you roll with a few Super Cleric "nana, you can't kill me!" friends). It's really that simple. The core mechanics involved, class balance, and mage damage as a whole for that matter just isn't there.

Now if and once you can/do accept that, there is indeed a light there. Because while every other class/calling essentially has a spec that can outperform any one "role" you can go in there looking to do, what the mage excels at in pvp is bringing builds to the table that essentially offer a little bit of everything. Which added up can present a pretty formidable combo.

As Corebot basically hit on, it's not rocket science to figure out the basics to what works. And if you are still having a problem after that in pvp, there's a good possibility the real problem there isn't with the class man

Rift Disciple

i don't think its the speed we die or the damage most people are annoyed with, but those are an issue.

The issue people are annoyed about is this, there are far to few ways to get out of melee combat, and far to few effective instant defence tools. While melee have snares they can spam, teleports that put you behind the targets or in front of the target, or a charge that stuns or snares, or ranged stuns and ranged instant snares all on their own cooldown, once they are close you are perma stunned and interupted and bursted down in seconds without any of your control effects working.

mages before 1.2 worked, they needed their CC but with it they could perform like they were meant to, and due to this cc there were lots and lots of ways to get into melee range, but our cc was powerful and a skilled mage could kite well back then, then the CC was nerfed but the mage wasnt buff accordingly so now we have no defence while the melee still kept all their charge abilitys.
    i7 2600k @5.6 1.45v load line extreme
    p8pdelux phase exetreme
    crucial SSD 355 mbs read 70/write
    samsung 2tb hdd
    2x Hd5970 toxic 1000/1200 (only 2 gpu in use for rift)
    8gb ddr3 corsair vengance
    win7 64bit

+ Reply to Thread