+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Postman - He delivers... always !

lgw

Default The Postman - He delivers... always !

He might seem out of fashion... he might not be the fastest... but what he takes up, he delivers - always !

So with the new PVP Rifts and Escalation Whitefall, and also the long needed Pyro fix I took up an old sample build of mine, brought it up to date and tested it in and out for a whole day. And yes, it works perfectly...

The Postman: 33 Pyro / 15 AM / 18 Chloro

The core ideas of the build in short:
    * no dependence on long CDs
    * strong staying power beyond pure healing
    * complete self reliance
    * mobility
    Beyond that you should be (and are) able to bring down the most, occupy about anything and escape the few counter builds that might kill you.

Playstyle
    This build plays very skirmisher like. You lurk around the fringes, picking off stray targets. But the strength really comes to shine when you quickly chase PVP objectives, and in the common case when a carrier is needed, you're able to quickly deliver over long ways, and even while under enemy fire - never slowing down.
    But you're also quite well prepared on the offensive side. Pyro still rocks decent burst, especially if you know how to backload damage (full Charge -> Flamebolt -> Withering Vine -> Countdown -> Withering Flames -> Internalise Charge -> Fireball / instants till dead), or have Heatwave ready / get a Cinder proc. In small skirmishes, with proper assisting and the ability to off heal, the build really shines as well.
    At last, because you have virtually no downtime and never run into CD issues, it's also very decent for general open world affairs, when you have to worry about overcoming ambushes.

How come the particular choices ?
    Chloro was a given, because it's the only soul that has the ability for strong, sustained self heal, the ability to dispell and provides a huge extra chunk of HP on top.
    Pyro is unavoidable either, because for this kind of build Flicker crazy strong. Furthermore there are a lot of solid CC and defense options hidden in the tree.
    So we needed to find a 3rd Soul to go along. Warlock and Stormcaller are solid Souls, but wasting that slot on another nuker, when we're already that far into Pyro is rather dumb. Hence we're left with Dom for CC - but that's bad since the Transference nerf and eats too many points. Elementalist is very strong due a second shield and 10% extra mitigation on top of everything else (think of it as an extra tier of Valour equip), and 12p (to also pick Exposure) is cheap - but practical play proved it to be less effective overall. Hence we go back to the old and proven AM as 3rd - here with a strong focus on the defensive part while getting Rune Shield to cap out our mitigation.
    Certain variations are possible, like getting the aformentioned 12p Ele, and then also picking 20p in Chloro for a Combat-Rez and a bit more Pyro. Or skipping Runeshield and Steelweave for Improved Grounding and Lockdown. But this has proven to be the best mix.
    Last edited by lgw; 08-12-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    ... aka schoklat. PVP nerd - gaming vet.
    First of slackers, herder of trolls.
    Wildstar PVP inc

Soulwalker

Default quick question

looks like a neat build and will check out. Quick question on why you chose Phytogenesis instead of maybe 3 into circle of life looks like that would be more beneficial.

lgw

Phyto is very strong in all aspects - from the better proc rate to automatic AOE to also helping your allies. I'm also not a big fan of RNG (ok, RS is also RNG, but over many more casts).
    In any way, dump as many points into CoL as you feel like, and also shuffle stuff around in Tier 2, as long as you keep instant Bloom.
    Wildstar PVP inc

Rift Chaser

I actually tried a similar build, but I kept running into mana issues in prolonged fights or with doms around.

lgw

Mana isn't your strong point, but as long as you don't spam Firestorm it's not a big issue. You could also take out a somewhere else in Pyro and make Smoldering Power usable in combat once every 3min, or you move 1p from the extra damage in AM to manareg when CCed.
    But then again, this isn't really intended for any kind ongoing fighting. Especially with 1.4, where you can get OOC real quick and reg some mana.
    Wildstar PVP inc

Ascendant

o..0 1/3 lifegiving veil & 3/3 pythogenesis/nature's corrosion is crazy.

lgw

You need 2 points to get into the next tier.
    And you rarely heal with LGV anyway, and for that matter NC gives you a much higher increase, as you only have Ruin and VS anyway. 3/3 Py is not even a contest with LGV.
    Wildstar PVP inc

lgw

Big bunch steals from the enemy base with this spec over the weekend, won us more than a dozen matches. Depending on the situation I might go in with 45 WL / 16 Nec / 5 AM and respec on the spot - it's Rift after all.
    Also still great for running stones at PVP Rifts, where you can't slack.

Might try 15p AM with Overload instead of Steelweave, as kinda survivalable Pyro spec, if you feel like.

PS: Should Rogues sneak in, grab and run ? Yes ! Do they do it ? Far too often not (bad players, needed as Bards, no Rogue around when the opportunity arises, ...)
    Last edited by lgw; 08-15-2011 at 12:15 AM.
    Wildstar PVP inc

Telaran

Default hmm

for a runner why not this?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...I0zGh.MsVuizVM

i know it lacks the defensive archmage but you retain break free with flicker, isntant transmog ( followed by nearly instant storm shackle and on top of that burning bonds so you can waylay 3 chasing targets and then keep transmoging any that keep chasing as needed. Not to mention immunity to snare/root,reflect, and ability to heal.... its weakpoint is it really has no killers but it can provide support heals and some cc, but for running purposes... survivability / utility is all that important.

lgw

Certainly viable as well.

Prefer my build for three reasons:
    1) Often its getting through / out of the big zerg, for which you need straight survivability.
    2) Most annoying are Para/Champs and Ragestorm Wars with their million gap closers / sprints on top of LW. Being able to detaunt them is often the difference between failure and success.
    3) I also use the build to catch enemy runners or in groups like threee carriers at PVP Rifts - there the damage output really matters.
    At last having BF (with its 5s total immunity) on top of Flicker helps me a lot - especially when using Flicker for speed reasons.

For your spec, I'd recommend at least dropping 3/3 Imp Mana Wrench and getting Imp SP - being able to drop them on the run, so they rip an enemy or two is well worth it.
    Also Reflective Presence, TI and ME are real good in a pure runner spec - consider moving two more points into Dom for that.
    Last edited by lgw; 08-15-2011 at 02:26 AM.
    Wildstar PVP inc

+ Reply to Thread