+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Defensive Soul

Shadowlander

Default Defensive Soul

If there were a new Defensive heavy Mage soul would you use it? What would it provide? It could do any number of things and, of course, have to go through balancing. I am thinking more of a PvP soul but it could be good for PvE for certain souls like Pyro.

Possibly it could have a series of buffs (or passive buffs so they can't be dispelled) that pulse "invisible" shields. Invisible because you don't want to be a walking Christmas Tree in PvP. They could pulse a Disarm, a nullify of a spell/physical strike, a Fear, a Snare, a Flicker like reaction to a physical blow. Basically a lot of goodies designed to make Mages more survivable by giving up any damage/healing synergy from another soul. These "buffs" would not be on constantly. They pulse and evaporate when triggered. I.e. a Flicker pulse buff might pulse at a rate of once per 20-30 seconds. If it triggers you are now more vulnerable for the next 10-15 seconds on average (this would be the balancing part).

I'm not sure what would make investing 51 points in this soul viable. Maybe the 51 point skill turns your level 1 nuke in your other soul to an Instant. I'm just brain-storming here. I know I'd like counters to being chained stunned, silenced, then snared (if I survived that long). If I have to be squishy I'd like to be mobile and evasive somehow.

Soulwalker

A warmage able to tank would sure be an original addition to the game system. Short range abilities, some magical defenses, yeah, it would be fun.

Rift Chaser

The tricky part would be putting enough stuff in the first 20 levels or so to make them good tanks at all levels, without making 44Pyro 22 New Soul (or whatever) into a glass cannon covered in steel armor and bubble wrap. Probably a bad example, but I think you get the idea.

Mages can tank a few bosses as well as one in Hammerknell already, having a new soul would be a bit of work.

Soulwalker

If mages got a tanking soul i would be totaly down with it.

Like a class specific buff that adds 1.5 sec to all non-tanking-soul related spells but gives dmg reduction.

Call it spellblade, give it extra dmg absorbtion based upon charge, and abilities that function off of charge to generate threat attaks, sheilds so on and such as.

It has potential.

While we are add it give rogue's a monk support class, light heals, dmg buffs, ability to intercept ranged attacks stuff like that.

-CC

Shadowlander

Honestly I was not thinking of a Tanking soul. I think Mages will get a Tanking soul as soon as Warriors get a Healing soul. But until then I was thinking more of a survivability soul. More along the lines of counters to all of the CC but also with some amount of damage reduction via absorption of physical strikes. Maybe that last part would be too much defense and would turn it into a Tanking soul.

As a Mage in PvP I have very little range advantage. Half or more of my CC counters have cast times that won't allow me to use them in many/most situations (stuns in Necro and Lock are useful). The one good option for me is to not be noticed.That "can" happen but if I'm doing good damage I'm focused down. If I'm not too annoying then I'm focused down right after the Clerics. I just want to have my fair share of survivability and mobility and I'm willing to trade damage for that survivability and mobility.
    Last edited by Acappella; 08-15-2011 at 05:31 AM.

Rift Disciple

The only real problem I see with this is that other classes would then get what we have, support, or main healer so it wouldn't just be clerics and mages but also warriors and rogues as main healers.

That said, a defensive soul would be fun but properly tanking and holding aggro is the one role we don't have. If you want to tank why not just roll a warrior?

Honestly, I'd rather see Trion fix rogue and cleric tanking first. Because, if they introduce mage defensive soul and balance it same way they "balanced" rogues, than better we go without it.

As for mage wishes, I want them to improve souls we already have for our primary roles, as currently even existing souls have issues.

+ Reply to Thread