+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My PvP build

Default My PvP build

I just started pvping at level 50 (it's painful), and I ended up using a build like this:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...bk.fcMA0MqLo.L

Tips/suggestion/snide remarks?

I'm no pro, but I have fun and do OK. I use a 32/32 dom/chloro build. Tried warlock with dom but wasn't my thing. I like being able to heal. Also, chloro gives you wild abandon, nature's cleansing, natural conversion, plus endurance.

For the dom tree, I would take 1 point out of Ineptitude and 2 out of Improved Charged Shield and add them to Empowered Presence. You might also want to put another point into Durable Control.

Without a lot of valor, you're going to die quickly and frequently. No big deal. You should be able to do plenty before you die. Good priorities are: storm shackle/decay/transference on warriors (the meatheads tend to ignore it most), TI on anyone, incompetence and priest's lament on healers, arresting/reflecting presence as soon as you can, reflective command on casters, etc. Lots to do -- just start picking targets.

Your best bet is to try and keep a low profile and avoid the front lines or you will die before you're able to get any spells off. I would even be tempted to lose Split Personality at your rank, because all it's going to do is put a big flag on you and you'll be targeted and stomped before your shades can do much good.

Dom is a blast -- have fun.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Dasmani View Post
    I just started pvping at level 50 (it's painful), and I ended up using a build like this:

For comparison, have a go at putting 10 points into the casting speed talents on the left hand side of the Dom tree.
    Try using squirrel every 2/3 spells and watch the damage spells zip through.
    Have Fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Dasmani View Post

Here is mine and I will explain the differences:

Why 0 AM? So that I can change to 0 Archon when there are erradicators. Having 5 stacks of SV + more ticks lets me keep my split personality up unless there is a massive dispel effort by the opposition.

Opportunity > Imp. Leech + Lingering Pain. There is nothing that turns a losing kite into a win like an instant Storm Shackle. Lingering pain is great in PVE where you can spam VB on a target for over 3 minutes, and is a dps boost not having to re-apply the dot. In pvp the dot might be dispelled, and does not gain any burst which means much more than sustained dps.

Controlled Opportunity > Imp. Charged Shield + Imp. Mana Wrench. You use warlock armor, you have better mana regen in sac: Life/Mana, and TI to drain clerics.

Draining Bolt vs (1 point Vitality). Draining bolt is a burst spell combine with a casted Void Bolt on a fresh shackle to get 3 heavy hits on a target. Not having it is bad for pvp where burst matters.

Potency vs Vitality. More burst.

Neddra's Grasp + Radiate Death. Very good spells for "padding damage numbers"? No, very good spells for preventing cleanses on your Dom debuffs.

Empowered Presence vs Ineptitude... Gives your arresting presence a chance to affect casting on silence immune people, and allows you anti-caster god-mode (as opposed to random-god-mode) ~15 seconds out of every 60.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Telaran

I don't think Swift Control would that that valuable here as he doesn't have much windup. You really don't need to get quicker than global because you'll end up waiting that out anyway. Can't make instant any quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizipt View Post
    I don't think Swift Control would that that valuable here as he doesn't have much windup. You really don't need to get quicker than global because you'll end up waiting that out anyway. Can't make instant any quicker.
    One would think so, but getting a shackle out in .9 seconds rather than 1.5 seconds means you have .6 seconds to start moving. It also helps with using fear on a second CC target after squirreling something. I routinely use this to peel off people, or slow down heals. Even those 2/5 points I have in it helps, and I'm seriously thinking about going the full 5/5, just can't figure out what to drop for it.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Telaran

Absolutely and I use it as well. It appeared the advice was directed toward increasing dps through speed, which would not really happen.

I could argue the efficiency of leading of with a cc, followed by double cc but sometimes we gotta do what we must. If you routinely use this lead, please don't complain about immunities as you are ensuring them.

The scenerio you described is perfect for that but I wouldn't advise this as a general opener.

I don't mean to get on you about this because in your scenerio it is great. I just sidetracked and remember all the mages complaining about dr and immunity. Combinations like this create the situation. If this guy you cast on takes a stun coming in, he's almost immediately immune to all cc.

+ Reply to Thread