+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can a Mage be a tank?

Telaran

Default Can a Mage be a tank?

Someone in my guild has sworn that they know a Mage that has been tanking since the very 1st dungeon and tanked all the way up to and including T1)

Is there a spec that will allow a Mage to tank while leveling up (dont care about T1) and if so what is it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nautika View Post
    Someone in my guild has sworn that they know a Mage that has been tanking since the very 1st dungeon and tanked all the way up to and including T1)

Is there a spec that will allow a Mage to tank while leveling up (dont care about T1) and if so what is it.

Thanks
    Tell that someone in your guild that he's full of ****. Lock/Necro has abilities that let a mage absorb a ton of damage, but they're on long CD's.
    Pylos - 51 Mage - Deepstrike
    "I'm gonna eat your f****** heart and your brain and your- I'm gonna f****** r*** your SOUL!!" - Chariot, Operation: Endgame

RIFT Community Ambassador bluedot's Avatar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q3zDrSb5oI

It is possible but you need gear that is far above the content you are actually doing. A mage would be hard pressed to tank a T1 if they are still looking for upgrades from that T1.
    It is also impossible to tank anything Beyond a T1 because the pet does not get Toughness, and will be one shot.

There are also encounters in Hammerknell that are very specifically designed for a mage to tank. If you plan on raiding I'd recommend picking up any Endurance gear that would get vendored or broken down otherwise.
    Last edited by bluedot; 08-10-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Plane Touched

No, there is no mage tank spec. That being said I would not be surprised to see a Mage elementalist pet tank a t1 if the group assisted the pet, didn't aoe, and the mage focused only on healing the pet with another healer. Possible yes, worth it absolutely not. Also if this is the case this was not happening since launch since the elementalist pets where horrible at keeping aggro for the longest time, and failed to be better than the necro pet in any aspect until they where addressed and upgraded. Necro however doesn't have the ability to heal the pet nearly as well as elementalist. I do suppose it was doable with a necro pet, but my guess is your guildmate is just full of BS.
    Mesk
    [Lunchbox Bandits]

Mage cannot tank unless the encounter is specifically designed to be that way.
    Forgo all your attempts at getting 'tank gear' unless you plan on raiding hammerknell shortly, which you arent.

+ Reply to Thread