+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Please tell me Building Storm is easier in 1.4

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    103

    Default Please tell me Building Storm is easier in 1.4

    So...I'm one of those who have avoided BS because of it's raw complexity in rotation.

    But let's face it, there's some raid fights where being able to switch between ST and AOE is huge (first fight in GSB is a great example).

    With the new spell and the new charge consumption changes...does this give any hope to simplicity and high dps for SC/ELE?

    You career SC/ELE mages...

    A) What's currently the best spec/rotation (I see a few floating around)
    B) Did 1.4 change...anything?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Champion of Telara Hethroin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,291

    Default

    The rotation for single target did not change much. However I am finding that BS builds stacks on spell contact not initiation, so the old method of 2 + AB + RS = 4 no longer works to get to 4-stack you AB hit.

    You can work around this by turning on BS early and turning on SF right before the AB.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

  3. #3
    AAA
    AAA is offline
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    70

    Default simple answer no

    Eco,

    I tried some tweaks to the standaard 32/34 storm/ele. I went 44 pts and 51 pts Stormcaller to try the new "lightning burst" which is nothing more than a tweaked Lightning Field that consumes all your charges with a grueling 2 second cast time. You also have to give up IE and Tempest to get it... no Bueno!

    I've seen some QQ in the PVP forum over 4k/5k crits from Lightning Burst (more of a 0 valor issue if you ask me)... which is not bad on a single target except it takes at least 8 - 9.5 seconds to setup. And you have to stand still the whole time and so does your target.

    The rotation is still very complex and I'm not seeing much value in having Building Storm (BS) stack on myself. Since you still need to build Electrify charges on the target. Now if Charges and BS stacked on your self... like the new changes to Cabalist Decay then we could have something to talk about.

    Single Target: Raging Storm>Ice Shear>Lightning Strike>Cloudburst x3 (I Macro LS and Cloudburst, cause I'm lazy)

    AOE: Hailstorm>Lightning Storm/Forked Lightning>Ice Shear>Lightning Field

    Throw in your IE, Static Flux, BS-AB, SD whenever your 6th and 7th fingers aren't busy.

    My Raid build: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Akz.VGztMxcsbo

    I like Ride the Wind cause it's cool... you don't like it get something else with your 1 pt.

    Kind Regards,

    Phone
    Briarcliff, Damaged PVPness, Defiant, P6

  4. #4
    Prophet of Telara Flaviusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,115

    Default

    Just don't use stormcaller unless the fight calls for serious AOE (and even then, pyro/ele is not far behind.)

    As a single target spec, it's more trouble than it is worth, the payoff isn't there.

  5. #5
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    I've seen some QQ in the PVP forum over 4k/5k crits from Lightning Burst (more of a 0 valor issue if you ask me)... which is not bad on a single target except it takes at least 8 - 9.5 seconds to setup. And you have to stand still the whole time and so does your target.
    The build up sucks, and it can all be dispelled. But I dueled the warriors in my guild rocking R6/7 gear running 900ish valor and I am critting them for ~6k with lightning burst with ~1700 SP (using the 200 SP enchant)

    Thats with a 44 SC/2 ELE/20 AM build.
    Pheowna | DPS Mage
    <Breaking Bads> 11/11 HK
    Guardian | Seastone
    3803 DPS Sicaron 11/2

  6. #6
    Telaran Zhurial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Why would you ever build a stormcaller without intensify elements? Assuming we are talking pve here, any pyro or sc variation that does not include IE will be less dps than if you did have it.

  7. #7
    Rift Master Guaritor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurial View Post
    Why would you ever build a stormcaller without intensify elements? Assuming we are talking pve here, any pyro or sc variation that does not include IE will be less dps than if you did have it.
    Granted its on a 2 min cooldown... but EotS is some seriously beastly aoe.

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple Trurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurial View Post
    Why would you ever build a stormcaller without intensify elements? Assuming we are talking pve here, any pyro or sc variation that does not include IE will be less dps than if you did have it.
    Actually the real reason that Ele works so well for SC is Tempest. IE is certainly a DPS boost for SC, but Tempest is much more of one.

    For Pyro though, IE is a ton of DPS because of Heat Wave... of course Tempest is really good for Pyro too.

  9. #9
    Telaran Zhurial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trurl View Post
    Actually the real reason that Ele works so well for SC is Tempest. IE is certainly a DPS boost for SC, but Tempest is much more of one.

    For Pyro though, IE is a ton of DPS because of Heat Wave... of course Tempest is really good for Pyro too.
    I disagree. Tempest is only a 30% crit damage gain. If you cast 80 cloudbursts that hit for 2000, with a crit rating of 50% you would be at 1666 DPS. With tempest up for 40 hits, you would be at 1866 DPS. With IE up for 10 of those hits, you would be at 1875. With both of them you are at 2100.

    So they are about the same on their own, but when you put them together it is a big upgrade.

  10. #10
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    532

    Default

    with the nerf to SC aoe, the complexity of the rotation ( and the fact that oyu have to continually use it or loose it) and the buff to other mage specs its harder and harder to recommend SC.

    how many fights are there were you really value max aoe damage over everything else? really i dunno?
    Shieldy 60 Warrior
    Gloredhel 60 Mage

  11. #11
    Prophet of Telara Flaviusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shieldy View Post
    with the nerf to SC aoe, the complexity of the rotation ( and the fact that oyu have to continually use it or loose it) and the buff to other mage specs its harder and harder to recommend SC.

    how many fights are there were you really value max aoe damage over everything else? really i dunno?
    There's still some. Arguably Matron in HK is one of them, and I believe the ideal raid comp for this fight will include some stormcallers (but also some pyromancers.)

    For folks working on older content, SC will still shine in places like LGS and Alsbeth.

    So it's not an obsolete spec. It has ceased, however, to be a swiss army knife you can pull out on each and any fight. If it's primarily a single target affair, don't bother. SC plain isn't worth it. It's fairly clear to me at this point that Trion is completely ok with this -- they want to keep SC single target damage down to a dull roar. They could buff cloudburst to make the obnoxious rotation worth the bother, among other things, but simply have chosen not to do so. They are actively discouraging people from taking the spec up for this purpose.

  12. #12
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flaviusx View Post
    There's still some. Arguably Matron in HK is one of them, and I believe the ideal raid comp for this fight will include some stormcallers (but also some pyromancers.)

    For folks working on older content, SC will still shine in places like LGS and Alsbeth.

    So it's not an obsolete spec. It has ceased, however, to be a swiss army knife you can pull out on each and any fight. If it's primarily a single target affair, don't bother. SC plain isn't worth it. It's fairly clear to me at this point that Trion is completely ok with this -- they want to keep SC single target damage down to a dull roar. They could buff cloudburst to make the obnoxious rotation worth the bother, among other things, but simply have chosen not to do so. They are actively discouraging people from taking the spec up for this purpose.
    One look at the Stormcaller synergy crystal completely negates this theory.

  13. #13
    Prophet of Telara Flaviusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,115

    Default

    How so? You can't just look at that crystal in isolation. Look at some of the others.

  14. #14
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Yup pvp crystals :>

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts