+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Did I pick the wrong class? (Mage)

Plane Touched

Default Did I pick the wrong class? (Mage)

I know this is probably heresy, but I'm not looking to flame.

I rolled a mage out of curiosity, and he's at lvl 25. I'm using the common build of Necro/Lock/Chloro, and I'm not finding any joy in it. To me, the micro-management aspect of maintaining DoTs and pet management (stay while I Life Leech 4 mobs, then go hold aggro on all) is more tedious than fun.

Is there a different mage build similar to the Cleric's Duracell or the Ranger's Sozu builds that can be easily macro'ed? I basically want to mash 1-3 buttons and use some high damage charged based abilities when charged, and then make things die quickly. Am I not understanding the mage's mechanics and play style?
    Last edited by Juxtaposed; 08-10-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtaposed View Post

I rolled a mage out of curiosity, and he's at lvl 25. I'm using the common build of Necro/Lock/Chloro, and I'm not finding any joy in it. To me, the micro-management aspect of maintaining DoTs and pet management (stay while I Life Leech 4 mobs, then go hold aggro on all) is more tedious than fun.

Is there a different mage build similar to the Cleric's Duracell or the Ranger's Sozu builds that can be easily macro'ed? I basically want to mash 1-3 buttons and use some high damage charged based abilities when charged, and then make things die quickly. Am I not understanding the mage's mechanics and play style?
    Sorry to tell ya...necrolock is about as easy at the class gets. There's not a lot of uber-macros here.

If you're committed to making it work, try pyro/ele (bluedots.org has a solid writeup). But even that has reactives and charge management in it (all specs do).

And I don't want to turn your well intentioned post into a flaming thread either. But just so you know you're pointing out something many mages have long been upset about: less armor, more complex rotations, same (or arguably less) dps.

Default the real question is, why did u make a mage?

^ all it will do is frustrate you when you realize "almost" every other calling can do what you do, only better

You rolled the wrong class. The only mage build that can be heavily automated via macros is 51 archon, and that's strictly for raid support, not leveling.

If you're not into micromanaging rotations, seek another class.

My main character is a lvl 25 mage. I tried different classes/specs before to get some idea of their basic rotation and the one I use at the moment is definately the easiest one to play, a bit comparable to the arcane spec in WoW, simple rotation, high air blasts.

She's a elementalist/stormcaller.

My leveling rotation has 3 buttons only.
    1) Exposure (debuff)
    2) Lightning Strike --> pet starts running in and takes aggro
    3) Thunderbolt --> repeat

When I aggro 2 mobs I cast encase (root) on 1, run back a bit and finish them off one by one.

With all those crit increasing passives you get in this spec, you can finish off mobs pretty quick. Lightning strike takes off like 50% of similar level mobs sometimes.

Maybe you should try this and see if this is more your idea of being a mage.
    I like it so far. Allthough this is probably not the strongest or best way to level up, its definately an easy one.

You chose the wrong class. GL on your leveling, however!
    Last edited by aeol; 08-10-2011 at 06:28 PM.
    --
    Cheers.
    Aeol

Telaran

From what I gather, Mage isn't a simple calling no matter what you do.

Still, I've found levelling pretty easy with this build, if a bit slow:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zRqs.Vdh.Vtcz0Gk

Most of your abilities have cast times that get pushed back on damage, so the easiest way to fight is to have someone else take the damage. The Earth Elemental is great at both taking aggro and surviving it, and it doesn't really require any micromanagement.

For single target, Lightning Strike > Exposure > spam Spores or Missiles. For AoE, aggro one enemy for the pet to hug, stand near pet and aggro 2 to 3 more (melee) enemies with Ignite, cast Burning Ground while they get into range, back up a bit, Fiery Assault.

Lifegiving Veil, Vile Spores and Withering Vine provides some healing for yourself and your pet to keep you up in longer fights. If you get in trouble, Transmogrify, Ice Shield, Bloom and the occasional health pot should do a decent job of getting you out of it.

For your pet, though, it's all about Quicken Elements. This spell is a bit insane. LoS? Facing? Range? Doesn't matter. Hit this spell and the golem gets crazy heals. It's slow going, but using this spell with an attack or two in between will let you solo Elites, Rifts, Footholds etc wthout really ever being in danger.

Hope that's of some use.

RIFT Community Ambassador bluedot's Avatar

You chose the best calling in the game, hands down.

A recent University conducted a study and they concluded that Mages have anywhere from 47.8% and 94.1% more swagger then any other available calling.

Honestly, you have to figure it out for yourself. Mages have no problem getting raid or group spots, if that is your question.

Edit: They don't have a problem more so then other callings, with the exception of being unable to tank.
    Last edited by bluedot; 08-10-2011 at 08:20 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    You chose the best calling in the game, hands down.

Honestly, you have to figure it out for yourself. Mages have no problem getting raid or group spots, if that is your question.
    BD,

Actually, I think his original question was a complaint about the tedium of pet and dot management, not our ability to get into group.

And from that perspective, I think it is quite safe to say the road ahead for him only gets more complicated. If he doesn't relish the execution of a perfect and complex rotation...indeed this might not be the class for his playstyle.

It's like someone once told me about becoming a professional actor: If you don't HAVE to do this, then do something else. Because this is a hard road.

In my case...I gotta play a mage. I'm just wired to it. I think it's the best, but not the best for every player.

And while I appreciate your attitude and presence in the mage community (greatly, in fact) - I think the discussion of the viability and relevance of mages is probably beyond the scope of his actual question.

<3

These are not the droids you're looking for.

This part almost makes the OP seem like he's trolling.

Shadowlander

Elementalist + Chloromancer.

Rotation:
    (1) Attack (Pet command)
    (2) Exposure
    (3) Spam Macro
    (4) GoTo (3)

#show Spam Macro
    cast Crystalline Missiles

For AoE:
    (1) See Rotation above to build Charge
    (2) Burning Ground
    (3) Fiery Assult
    (4) GoTo (1)

There ya go. Be sure to take all 5 of Velocity and then take Exposure at 11 then Fiery Assult at 21. Of course you could super-charge this up a bit with a few additional buttons, but I think that just might be a bit much for you right now.

Honestly, though. A Necro/Lock is better in most cases (except against Elites) and is very easy to run. Drop the Chloro and get Archon. Max Necro to start with until you have Rogue pet. Put more points into the Pet attack at 26. Lock should mostly be for mana health management until you get Necro established. At that point you want to get to Devouring Shadows and then Mortality.

There are no macros for this that I know of. There is no pet management either. Sick the pet then Essence Link, DoTs (3 of them), any debuff you have (e.g. Nedda's Grasp, etc). Toss on Grave Rot in there somewhere. That's all there is to it. Repeat as necessary. You can use Plague Bolt instead of Grave Rot if you like things slightly easier.

Short answer: yes, re-roll a cleric, rogue, or warrior. Rogues in particular can kill things fast at lower lvls with the Marksman and Ranger souls with good survivability due to the Ranger pet with less micro management of skills needed. Rogues are also better at endgame than mages for PvE and PvP. I have a 50 mage (R5) that I've basically abandoned because I was sick of playing a gimped class. Do the smart thing and re-roll before you get that mage to 50.
    Pylos - 51 Mage - Deepstrike
    "I'm gonna eat your f****** heart and your brain and your- I'm gonna f****** r*** your SOUL!!" - Chariot, Operation: Endgame

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarokJC View Post
    Short answer: yes, re-roll a cleric, rogue, or warrior. Rogues in particular can kill things fast at lower lvls with the Marksman and Ranger souls with good survivability due to the Ranger pet with less micro management of skills needed. Rogues are also better at endgame than mages for PvE and PvP. I have a 50 mage (R5) that I've basically abandoned because I was sick of playing a gimped class. Do the smart thing and re-roll before you get that mage to 50.
    P.S.: Another fun fact - Warlocks (mage) get Mass Fear at 44 pts, which only affects 5 people. Inquisitors (cleric) get Trepidation at 26 pts, which affects all enemies within range. If this isn't complete horse$@$@, I don't know what is.
    Pylos - 51 Mage - Deepstrike
    "I'm gonna eat your f****** heart and your brain and your- I'm gonna f****** r*** your SOUL!!" - Chariot, Operation: Endgame

chloro warlock

1. Pull 10 mobs
    2. Spore them all in one cast
    3. Aoe them down with devouring shadows

Look, it's even less buttons then duracell cleric!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast