+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Slythorh

Thread: Pets

Shadowlander

Default Pets

I hate pets, I dont mind using them to level but managing a pet in a dungeon just sucks. Are there any ZERO pet builds.. I mean ZERO, the Dom tree has pets and sometimes they dont attack, they act dumb. I am wondering is there a viable Mage spec where I can nuke the **** out of something and not worry about Jr. not getting killed or attacking. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ascendant

Nope. Every good dps build has at least 1 pet.
    Last edited by PessimiStick; 08-10-2011 at 08:12 AM.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Ele/Necro/Dom would be the best option for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Slythorh View Post
    Ele/Necro/Dom would be the best option for you.
    ROFL.

51 pyro is the only viable option for 0 pets. Still sucks compared to the pet builds though.
    Xail - R41 Mage
    Guardian
    <We Are Legend>

You could try 51 Lock, 11 necro, 4 Ele. But word on the street is it does less dps than 38 lock 28 necro.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

I think 51 Warlock has a lot of potential. I haven't seen anyone give it a serious work out since 1.4... I've been meaning to test it out, but haven't found the time yet.

I test this 51 Warlock build last night:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z....eeRAkqqek.x0M

I put the 8 points in Elementalist so I could use Lightning Strike on Opportunity procs. The two points in Flesh rot is nice, because it makes all the DOTs have 16 second durations, so they can all be refreshed at the same time.

With about 1200 SP and 800 crit I was able to get about 900 DPS on the dummy. That's not horrible, but it is about 200 DPS behind the top DPS builds with pets. Empowered Darkness is nice with the new charge reduction and has about a 50% uptime (i.e. up 15 minutes out of every 30). The problem with Empowered Darkness is its hard to get both Defile and Empowered Darkness in your rotation. I tried a couple different things to see what the best DPS was, but in the end it didn't seem to matter whether I prioritized Defile or Empowered Darkness, which is unfortunate.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Trurl View Post
    With about 1200 SP and 800 crit I was able to get about 900 DPS on the dummy. That's not horrible, but it is about 200 DPS behind the top DPS builds with pets.
    With similar stats I can parse over 1200 on the dummy as 35/31 Purge Lock. 900 is pretty much un-viable unless it scales like CRAZY with raid buffs.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Rift Disciple

You could try some kind of Pyro/Archon build. You have some synergy there and some nice self buffs from the Archon that could boost your dps. Maybe throw in a little warlock for faster charge building so you can use Internalize Charge more and get opportunity for adding in Cinder Burst.
    Zirak: Mage of <The Purge>
    Guardian of Seastone, formerly of Faemist

Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    With similar stats I can parse over 1200 on the dummy as 35/31 Purge Lock. 900 is pretty much un-viable unless it scales like CRAZY with raid buffs.
    So the 51 point Warlock is 25% less DPS than the top pet DPS builds. Maybe there is some way to tweak the spec or the rotation and make up some of that 25%. It seems like Empowered Darkness should be a huge DPS increase, because its 75% bonus damage 50% of the time. It just doesn't seem to work out that way.

Shadowlander

I was thinking of trying a Pyro spec 51 pyro 10 Arch 5 elemental. Anyone try this spec? I would give it a shot but im at work right now

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Sygon View Post
    I was thinking of trying a Pyro spec 51 pyro 10 Arch 5 elemental. Anyone try this spec? I would give it a shot but im at work right now
    Leeching flames, 11 in archon.

And 51 warlock 11 archon 4 ele would probably be better than 51 pyro.

Rift Chaser

Nope. 51 Pyro or 51 Lock are probably your only options, but both of those are a good 250 or so dps behind any of the builds which involve a pet.

Personally, I wouldn't trade the lack of a pet for 250 dps in a million years.

Soulwalker

Default My weird twisted build...o.O

I'm running a warlock/pyro/stormcaller. It sounds weird, and it is, and rotations are almost non existent but I always seem to either top or come second in damage at warfronts. It takes some getting used to, but is great fun.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Bitorn View Post
    I'm running a warlock/pyro/stormcaller. It sounds weird, and it is, and rotations are almost non existent but I always seem to either top or come second in damage at warfronts. It takes some getting used to, but is great fun.
    Do you use that build in PVE?

+ Reply to Thread