+ Reply to Thread

Thread: chlor/archon stupid support for t2?

Soulwalker

Default chlor/archon stupid support for t2?

First of all, my favorite role in dungeons is that of a main healer and that's the role I filled in 95% of the tier 1's I did, but since I just recently started doing tier 2's (only 3 dungeons completed so far) I've been too scared to queue as a main healer with my chloro spec. So, instead I've just been queueing as dps or support. Now, the support spec I chose was a chloro/archon split. I figured this would be a fairly decent support spec as I would have 4 archon auras and some other nifty buff/nukes I could use, plus I would be able to have the chloro heals. Apparently, the groups that I have grouped with so far do not agree with me.

In all (granted, only 3) of the dungeons I've run so far, when I pull out the support spec for the fights that need it, I always get a "rofl archon" or "ugh, archon". I don't get it! I'm offering good buffs+decent heals. What spec are they wanting me to run as support? Full chloro? Thats over-kill on healing. Chloro/lock? Why? Chloro/Archon puts out similiar single target dps with more utility.

What i guess I'm wanting is just to get some feedback on why everyone is hating on my chloro/archon support spec and to get some ideas of what the "accepted" support spec for a mage is. This was mostly just a rant, but any replies will be appreciated

Thanks.

Shadowlander

Your mileage may vary... but my experience with T2 is everyone wants the support role to be bard. Plus the damage buffs that really push up melee attack speed and proc chance require full Archon.

Telaran

In most T2, you will find people that are easily able to do the dungeon. That means an overgeared tank, and a healer that can easily keep everyone alive. Because of this, most groups would rather have a dps spec in support, to kill stuff faster, and only for tougher mobs possibly a backup healer, and here a 32 chloro/ 34 warlock or something like that would be a lot better (better dps, and better healing).

archon actually has a rather limited benefit to the group, sure it buffs the group. However it's with stats that dosn't help dps, and tank/healer is allready geared well enough that they don't need the resist/endurance/armor to survive.

Champion

Not sure if you've noticed, but people are stupid. Ignore the idiots, Chlorochon (I use 22/44) is fine for support. A healing sigil, bloom and flourish are pretty much all you need to offheal while throwing out your Archon dps/buff/debuff abilities. Chlorolock is probably better dps if the other dps are bad as archon won't be boosting them much. Use your dps spec in most cases, get the healer to let you know when he wants offheals (or if you wipe a couple of times and you notice it's from a lack of healing) and switch to Chlorochon then.

I started off with full archon... but have recently been full chloro. If there is a problem in the tank/healing department, the added heals make it smoother. Though quite often the support isn't needed, and if the healer is confident enough I would just DPS.

I'm sure you could work something out, but I kept archon for raids/raid rifts and full chloro to heal... so I didn't have a spare role for a half and half.

If your tank/healer combination is struggling, archon doesn't make much of a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by RagnorIronclad View Post
    Not sure if you've noticed, but people are stupid.
    That's it.

I can soloheal any T2, and this is the build I use for tank healing. I never have any trouble with this and it's usually just me healing, with the "support" person being a 3rd dps to get done faster. Granted I'm overgeared, but if you can't soloheal something then Bard heals should be enough support. Whatever you've been using for T1s should work as well, though.

And the thing about Archons is that their usefulness scales with group size. In 5-mans, you'd be better dpsing. Where Archons really shine is in 20-mans, where the buffs you provide more than make up for your own dps loss.
    Last edited by Zarokima; 08-10-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarokima View Post
    I can soloheal any T2, and this is the build I use for tank healing. I never have any trouble with this and it's usually just me healing, with the "support" person being a 3rd dps to get done faster. Granted I'm overgeared, but if you can't soloheal something then Bard heals should be enough support. Whatever you've been using for T1s should work as well, though.

And the thing about Archons is that their usefulness scales with group size. In 5-mans, you'd be better dpsing. Where Archons really shine is in 20-mans, where the buffs you provide more than make up for your own dps loss.
    That's all true, but the OP didn't soloheal, he went support, basically as a chloro on support still managing nice buffs to the others. That's a lot on the table. Even in t2. The dps guys in t2 pugs are rarely overwhelming, especially those who cry about chlorchon support.
    Last edited by Bingzhu; 08-10-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Wizard's first rule: People are stupid

Archon, especially 51 pt, is IMO the very best support you can have in a T2. no one seems to understand just how much it buffs the group's EVERYTHING. while dealing decent dps. imo if your 'main' dpsr's are good, going 51 arch can increase your group's overall damage by more than the dps you lose by not being dps yourself. it also debuffs bosses to death. -25% casting and attack speed is a huge decrease in damage done by most bosses. tack on another 10% for power drain. you've effectively just increased everyone's hp by 50% against everything except instant abilities.
    Last edited by Cactuschef; 08-10-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Rift Disciple

I agree that chloro/archon can be a good offhealer.

HOWEVER, you should never use your support role on trash, unless the healer requests you to, or it's obvious the healer is struggling. People will complain if you're chosen as the group's support, and actually do a support job on trash -- seems kinda backwards, but it's very rare that anyone actually needs support for trash. The player chosen as support is expected to go DPS instead. Just swap out to chloro/archon for bosses.

If you have healed most of the time you can build a Chloro/Arc for healing support and it should be easy for you.

Then as a second build make a Pyro/Arc for DPS.
    "The Lips of Wisdom Are Closed, Except To The Ears of Understanding."

Ascendant

I have a full chloro build and a full archon build. When I get support I let people know. They always ask why I don't have a hybrid build and I just explain to them I raid and I don't have enough roles for PvP, ST DPS, AoE DPS, MT healer, raid support, hybrid 5 man support, and solo grinding.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

Soulwalker

Just go main heal. No reason to be scared of it. Rotation is so simple that ive litterally fallen asleep while healing abd woke up maybe 10 seconds later, and everyone is still alive. Just spam void life , and use ruin whenever its up. When opportunity procs, use nature's touch. Entropic veil as needed. I dont usually bother with radiant spores or junk like that, unless its a boss fight.

If you can keep it simple while keeping everyone alive, then why not? And remember, these groups that are too "buff" for a support role should be "buff" enough to either put up with a new t2 healer, or just suck it up.

+ Reply to Thread