+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dear Mages of Trion,

Default Dear Mages of Trion,

I suck at playing a mage.
    I admitted the issue and now I'm trying to fix it.
    This is my first MMO and my first time trying out PvP and such. ): Try to dumb things down for me!
    Currently I PvP with a Dom/War spec (I think the idea is neat) and I'm a fresh 50, so I know I'll get the crap kicked out of me constantly. ):
    But I was wondering if you guys could give me any advice on combos/rotations/whatever for warrior/rogue classes and such. (:
    I'll get better with time and practice, but at the moment I don't have a single clue.

If you have any builds you think are better that don't involve Dom, let me know! (:

Sincerely,
    a baddie mage.
    (At the moment)
    Edit: Should of said "Mages of Rift"
    Oh welp. (:
    Last edited by Parfaite; 08-09-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Try to put together a build that maximizes survivability and minimizes cast times. That mostly means some kind of chloro/lock build.

You cannot tank damage in this game nor can you easily do burst damage, nor can you kite.

TBH, pvp is distinctly mage unfriendly in Rift. It's mostly just going to frustrate you. If you want to pvp on a mage for real...play WoW.

Honestly, imo Mages now are bad for PVP; heavily nerfed and lacking in almost every aspect of what PVP should be. I rolled a warrior and the difference is MASSIVE, even in PVE my damage is scary. For me it boils down to the magic words: OFF GCD. When those proc, and they proc often, it's insta gib. Nothing a mage can bring even resembles this, sadly.
    Fatality - lvl 50 Mage
    PVP 5/8, DH 4/4, GP 4/4, GSB 5/5, ROS 4/4, RotP 4/4, HK 11/11

My MAGE GEAR LIST v5.5 ▓

Out of date and retired

I don't much like Warriors or Rogues ): But I guess I can always try out the warrior. Thanks anyways guys (:

Telaran

If you want to be a contact&range physical&elemental dps :
    - You can play priest.
    - You can play rogue.
    - You can play warrior.

If you want to be a range only elemental dps :
    - You can play mage but you'll have to pay the price of your specialization : medium/low dps.

Trion's logic is unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Parfaite View Post
    I don't much like Warriors or Rogues ): But I guess I can always try out the warrior. Thanks anyways guys (:
    ummmm ya, go warrior. this game is made for warriors only. everyone else is just here to buff them and craft plate.

as far as mage pvp spec, i'd go 51 chloro. spam green stuff, run around and jump alot. it doesn't help really, but jumping around and dying, looks better than standing there and dying.

also ummmmm...work on your wardrobe, that's fun.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by s33kNDstroy View Post
    also ummmmm...work on your wardrobe, that's fun.
    ^^

As you rank up and gear up... having a nice costume will trick very undergeared mages, clerics, rogues and warriors to think you are easy prey. So you will at least get some kills eventually. Of course mage v mage fight takes forever and show just how pitiful mage damage is in this game.

go roll warrior.
    used to be a proud member of Rift Runners till madness took over.

Shadowlander

Mages don't do as well as melee in PvP. But I've had some success with a Necro/Lock. This is probably the most survivable Mage I have. It can do damage on the run and I think that is the best thing a Mage can do to survive a bit longer. The Necro pet puts out very good damage while you are fighting for your live which helps quite a bit.

If you are lower level then I suggest going heavily into Necro first. Get your Rogue pet then start working on Lock. Eventually you get two stuns, a Fear, a Root, an 80% damage reduction spell (on a CD of course). You can kill foes on the run with your DoTs. You have good (but not great) healing ability with Soul Purge and, eventually, Mortality. Essence Link helps as well.

I've also had some success with a Pyro/Lock but at high levels (to get a stun and Mortality). You have some ability to do damage on the run but your big guns are stand and shoot. Setting up a good spam macro is key. Also, Lock let's you get Opportunity occasionally for your Cinder Burst.

+ Reply to Thread