+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Necrolock vs. melee rogue

Default Necrolock vs. melee rogue

How are necrolocks and warmancers (lock/necro) dealing with melee rogues ?!?
    I find the ranged rogues are pretty easy but melee ones tear you apart at my level (41).
    I find this very frustrating how I don't stand a chance against them even after using the 80% damage reduction and the shadow life as well.

Is it better later on ?
    Last edited by Chomag; 08-09-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Telaran

In my limited experience mages (save Dom) don't really have any real chance against a determined melee that knows what they are doing. The problem with mages is they don't really have any effective way to keep distance with melee classes. Mortality works good against weak players that don't know how to interrupt you, but otherwise you don't really have a chance.

Its the same deal with wars. Without some way to kite there is not much you can do. Maybe someone here with more experience than me can suggest something (other than going Dom). I know on my own assassin only chloros/locks will really give me any trouble, and even then most of the time they die.

Necrolock goes.......dot dot dot dot

Assassin goes stunlock + 1500 Serpent Strike + 1500 final blow + dot dot dot dot

guess who wins

aux

Mostly my bars go grey and a few seconds later the rest of my screen.

Can't do much about people popping up with stuns and bleeds out of nowhere. Your best bet is actually something with Flicker.
    I'm so BORED

Quote Originally Posted by aux View Post
    Mostly my bars go grey and a few seconds later the rest of my screen.

Can't do much about people popping up with stuns and bleeds out of nowhere. Your best bet is actually something with Flicker.
    sadly even if you flicker they can snare you from distance, all assassin take Ranger as second tree for 5% criticial + crippling shot.

If you're evenly geared to a melee who doesn't entirely get the jump on you, then you can beat them, it just requires blowing Neddra's Essence, Shadow Life, Mass Fear, break Free, Detaunt (perhaps), Dark Touch (perhaps), Mortaility, Draining Bolt, a health pot and/or any Chloro heals you may have. With all these tools up and ready, you generally have a good chance to beat a war or rogue, the trouble is judging when and how many of your tools you need to use to stay alive. That and running into a melee when some of these aren't up ofc...

Plane Touched

If you play Codex, always try to use some random aoe around you to uncloak them, this will give you a significant advantage.

At my level though, melee rogues tend to pretty much kill themselves on my warlock armor. Popping warlock CDs can be useful though if they vanish to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilvereen View Post
    sadly even if you flicker they can snare you from distance, all assassin take Ranger as second tree for 5% criticial + crippling shot.
    Actually most Assassin are 51 Assassin / 15 Infiltrator for Anathema heal debuff and 0 Ranger for Quick Shot and Head Shot to use as a follow up on retreating bleeding targets.

To the OP. Make this macro if you don't yet have it.

#show Detaunt
    suppressmacrofailures
    cancelbuff Warlock Armor
    cast Detaunt

It can save your life.

Assassin will be low on energy after their initial burst. Also, if you Break Free > Detaunt macro before they land Impale (their high damage bleed finisher) than Impale's damage will be cut in half for the duration even after Detaunt falls off.

If you have the charge you can follow up Detaunt with Rune Shield or use it in conjuction as it does stack. I prefer to follow up with Rune Shield because it will save Neddra.

Basically, between Detaunt, Rune Shield, Neddra, and Shadow Life I look to outlast their opener. They'll Slip Away or die afterwards. It's actually the Marksman that bother me more as their range is better than ours a smart Marksman can effectively ranged kite and LoS between shots.

Don't resort to Mortality to soon either. I much prefer to bait the interrupt with Soul Purge and follow up with Mortality if the Purge is interrupted. If you expect you'll need Mortality be sure to use it above 70% health. Anything less is likely a waste.

Don't forget about Wither, especially if you proc an Opportunity.

Telaran

In any warlock builds rogues should be (except from warriors who are not VKs) the class you have the least problems with. Assuming you are lvl50 and have all cds ready: Break Free > Neddra's/Shadow Life > Dark Fury > Dark Touch + Necrosis + Draining Bolt while kiting > Soul Purge/Void Bolt if Opportunity procs. When the rogue uses Cleanse Soul use Detaunt and kite, then finish with Soul Purge. If the rogue does not severely outgear you, you should have no problem.

I don't know how it is at lvl41 though.

Rift Chaser

I'm using 45lock/16necro/5am and I do decently against rogues, as long as my cooldowns are up at rank 4. The more valor I get, the easier it gets to face them. There are only a few rogues that give me complete trouble everytime.

Shadowlander

Pretty sure you don't need to cancel Warlock aura for Detaunt to work, it only gets cancelled if you take direct action against them. (I've had more than one rogue beat themselves to death on my warlock armor while I healed myself through direct heals and chloro nuking other enemies as chlorolock.)

1v1? Meh, doesn't mean much.

But assuming equal gear/skill, with all cooldowns up, 40war/16necro/10am (soul purge lock anyway) should win.

+ Reply to Thread