+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What am I doing wrong?

Default What am I doing wrong?

I've been playing around with builds forever now, and I'm having a really hard time with my dps. I have mostly T2 gear, 219 focus and 900 sp. As it stands, I can't parse more than 700 dps on single-target.

I spend countless hours on these forums, bluedot, etc. and am constantly trying out different builds/rotations. I'm getting pretty frustrated.

Before anyone says unhelpful comments like "L2P", posting here is my last resort. I have tried my best to learn the class and have done lots of research and experimenting.

I know my spell power is a bit low, but is it really that low to not even enable me to parse more than 700 single-target??

I was wondering if anyone would be able to post some top dps builds and rotations for 1.4, and maybe give me some suggestions..

*hopes for no flaming*

Thanks in advance!
    If it bleeds, we can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by x0mbigrl View Post
    What am I doing wrong?
    You're still playing a mage. That's your problem =)

Ok, now that that is out of the way, those numbers aren't terrible unbuffed with 900 SP. Raid buffs make a huge difference compared to just blasting the dummys solo. Bluedot's specs are still pretty standard for dps specs. I use 2 of them myself.
    Last edited by Carolius; 08-09-2011 at 09:16 AM.

I really like the 38 Lock, 28 Necro, spec for this patch. The reduced charge consumption on Soul Purge and Defile allows you to do both every so often.

Bluedot has this or a very similar spec outlined in his guide.

Stack DoTs, filler Void Bolts, Soul Purge while dots tick and you have charge. Try your best to incorporate grave rot into the mix for added pet dps.

With 1100 spellpower I only manage about 1.1k DPS on the dummy (my 800 and pet's 300) . Raid buffs matter I got up to 1.5k with the new spotter's orders (1.1k for me and 400 for the pet).
    Last edited by Hethroin; 08-09-2011 at 09:24 AM.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Quote Originally Posted by Carolius View Post
    You're still playing a mage. That's your problem =)

Ok, now that that is out of the way, those numbers aren't terrible unbuffed with 900 SP. Raid buffs make a huge difference compared to just blasting the dummys solo. Bluedot's specs are still pretty standard for dps specs. I use 2 of them myself.
    Hah, I've contemplated re-rolling many times! But I've put so much work into my mage, and the thought of re-doing everything does NOT sound appealing!

I guess I didn't take into consideration all the raid buffs.. also I haven't raided yet, so I have no raid gear. I just feel like no matter what I'm doing (raid rift, T2, whatever) I'm ALWAYS sub-par with the dps. I'm always at the bottom of the barrel no matter what.

So I began to think there's something wrong with me, or I wasn't doing something properly :/

Quote Originally Posted by Hethroin View Post
    I really like the 38 Lock, 28 Necro, spec for this patch. The reduced charge consumption on Soul Purge and Defile allows you to do both every so often.

Bluedot has this or a very similar spec outlined in his guide.

Stack DoTs, filler Void Bolts, Soul Purge while dots tick and you have charge. Try your best to incorporate grave rot into the mix for added pet dps.
    This is essentially exactly what I'm currently doing, except my most recent necro/lock build is 38 necro/28 lock. I'll give that build a shot when I get home and see if I can get any difference in my dps.

Thanks!

You're not doing anything wrong, Mages are just horrible at dps. Don't bother complaining to Trion about it, though, they don't seem to care about Mages. If the rest of the game wasn't so good, I'd have already quit over their inability to balance classes.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by x0mbigrl View Post
    This is essentially exactly what I'm currently doing, except my most recent necro/lock build is 38 necro/28 lock. I'll give that build a shot when I get home and see if I can get any difference in my dps.

Thanks!
    Ya I think your build is holding you back. 38/28 lock/necro 33/33 necro lock or 35/31 lock/necro should give you better results.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

Quote Originally Posted by Zarokima View Post
    You're not doing anything wrong, Mages are just horrible at dps. Don't bother complaining to Trion about it, though, they don't seem to care about Mages. If the rest of the game wasn't so good, I'd have already quit over their inability to balance classes.
    All modesty aside I think this is no longer true in 1.4.

The change to spotter's orders has reduced the DPS of other classes, and boosted ours. Couple that with the new Power stones and you should see single target parses from mages getting much closer to those of warriors.

From the week of raiding in 1.4 I have found myself to be very competitive DPS-wise with warriors and rogues on many fights. Even ones where I am not Stormcalling down adds (where other DPS can't come close to competing).
    Last edited by Hethroin; 08-09-2011 at 09:50 AM.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Depends on the build.. I use zoomancer for single target.. Pyro/ele for clearing trash and where an army of mindless pets are a problem. There are other builds that are comparable, competitive, or maybe even better.. Pretty well all the top mage builds rely heavily on burst damage from their cooldowns.. Many work best when stacked (eg - stack everything you can with heat-wave).. I'm consistently in the top-5 of my guild for DPS, and a number of them have better gear than me. DPS is manageable as a mage - It's just a bit of work and some timing to push out the numbers.. For raiding, I'll use a powerstone, brightsurge vials, and drake fillets to buff up my spellpower.

+ Reply to Thread