+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which Greater Essences to look for?

Rift Disciple

Default Which Greater Essences to look for?

Hi everyone

I finally upgraded my newbie sigil (hooray for world events!) and am trying to setup a DPS Sigil and a Healing Sigil (for Chloromancer). I'm also interested in what works for a support healer build (Chloro/Lock).

So far, I have found an essence that can proc extra damage when I cast damaging spells and one that can add a HoT when I cast heals. But I worry that it won't be as useful for Chloros since most of our healing is done via nukes.

What do you recommend? I'm mostly interested in the more common options since I haven't gotten to T1/T2 yet (I'm 47) and don't have access to the nice super rare stuff (and couldn't afford it if it was on the AH anyway).

Should I be slotting the one that ups spell power when I cast a nuke? I have 3 sigils available (1 for Heal, 1 for DPS and 1 for Support, if that needs its own).

Thanks for your help!

Shadowlander

For the most part all greaters are useless, as a lvl 50 who raid heals,solo heals t2s, dps, and support I do just fine with my spell power all lesser source engine, i have several different ones, each with a different resist build. There are a few decent epic greaters for healing that come out of raid rifts, but anything vendor or ah bought is garbage. One if my fellow mages in my guild uses the above mentioned epic greaters out of raid rifts, I do not, our healing numbers are almost identical. I prefer the static stats rather than procs.

Rift Disciple

Thank you

I probably should mention that I'm just doing 5mans for now - I will likely reconfigure all my sigils when I get to raiding.

Ascendant

necrotice rage for dps. adorned shadesource from death rift.
    for heals I like wards. using one from water raid rift & another from vendor.

Shadowlander

then deffiently go for all lessers, try to do your daily raid rift each day, youll get 7 inscribed source stones,plus the chance at an epic lesser out of the rift its self, also some pretty good cloth gear can drop out of some raid rifts. If your defiant the guy who gives the daily raid rift quest is in the college of planar studies, i have no clue where the guardian counterpart is.

Shadowlander

the adorned shadesource is lower dps than any spell power lesser. No matter how you look at it, any greater essence for dps is a loss over any vendor or raid rift lesser

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Rogal Dorn View Post
    the adorned shadesource is lower dps than any spell power lesser. No matter how you look at it, any greater essence for dps is a loss over any vendor or raid rift lesser
    necrotic rage is certainly better than any lesser including pyro spark.

I can't get adorned to drop. I've heard mixed reviews, some love it some hate it.

Shadowlander

yes its great, if your a guardian. And use a spread sheet and you will see the raw numbers with the shadesource, it looks good at face value but in use its not as good as any of the vendor/dropped lessers. I would love if trion gave us defiant a chance at necrotic rage, consindering its bis...
    Last edited by Rogal Dorn; 08-07-2011 at 07:47 AM.

I've heard all lessers is still better as opposed to 5 lessers and the necrotic rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogal Dorn View Post
    With the proc rate fix, AS is up alot more than it used to be for single target, it's debatable on whether It's better than a 26SP lesser though(Which is the highest a 6th lesser spot can be in a Source machine) .

Keep in mind, on AOE fights it's nearly 100% uptime.

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Fik
    Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by ururu View Post
    necrotic rage is certainly better than any lesser including pyro spark.

I can't get adorned to drop. I've heard mixed reviews, some love it some hate it.
    I like it, and there is a trick to it.

when it procs, you get 5 stacks of 35sp. Eeach ability removes one. So if you proc it, go to a channeled spell, this spell will only remove 1 stack, and the rest of the channelled spell retains the other stacks.

Soul purge and AE's work fantastic. Only downside is it can hurt a rotation if you get the proc to early.

Rift Chaser

For Chloro greaters, the proc HOTs (like Crystalized Vine) and proc Shields (like Frozen Deep One Tear) are quite nice. I prefer them to the passive stat boosts.

Rift Disciple

replace your uppers with mystic river and pyro spark.
    Griefing - This refers to players who do not play the game as it was intended, but instead seek to harass other players as their main focal point. This includes stalking or attempting to kill another player's character that has no means of recourse within the game. To "grief" simply means that you are trying to negatively impact the game play experience of another player. A player on the opposite faction cannot be griefed. It is perfectly acceptable to take actions in order to get a player of the opposite faction killed using whatever means possible.

Rift Chaser

over time procs have always been dependant on the length of the encounter. if you are burning things down fast with down time between trash pulls sp procs will be less dps than having a lesser nonproc sp essance. the reason for this is obvious.

however on longer fights where the item has a chance to proc and not be wasted by movement or other issues there can be a arguement for having them. however now the point is rather mute since the proc rates will be (or has been?) adjusted by the spell's casting time. so each role will be different in regards to proc times based on the role's spam spell cast rate.

generally i can agree on having all lesser sp essances due to the streakiness of the rng of mmo's. also it makes equipment decisions of the general player population easier.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Plutoniummmmmm View Post
    replace your uppers with mystic river and pyro spark.
    Pyro Spark is actually #4 from best
    Mystic River is actually #13 from best

When looking at pure SP rating btw.

So you should have Pyro Spark any way regardless if you use Greaters or not, and Mystic River is only useful if you don't have better.

Top 6 for healing are (excuse the formatting):

Name Wis Int SP Total SP
    Living Hunt 19 10 16 32,8
    Last Rites 19 14 14 31,8
    Dark Rites 15 15 16 31,0
    Pyro Spark 12 18 16 29,5
    Tidal Wisdom 17 13 13 29,0
    Wisdom Roots 20 13 10 28,3
    Last edited by Israfael; 08-08-2011 at 02:45 AM.

+ Reply to Thread