+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Icy Carapace/Lightning Strike scaling

Default Icy Carapace/Lightning Strike scaling

Hey, I've been lurking the mage forums recently and finally decided to roll a mage (Guardian \o/). I've been having a lot of luck with Icy Carapace/Crystalline Missiles and Lightning Strike for Sudden Nuke on people in the lowbie bracket. How do they scale as the game progresses? Should I keep going down this path or should I do something else?

This is what I'm using right now (I have an extra point that I'm not totally sure what I did with):
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zqyR.xkckM.V

-Liang

Ed: PVP obviously. single target nuke doesn't matter so much in PVE it seems
    Last edited by Liang Nuren; 07-25-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Liang Nuren View Post
    Hey, I've been lurking the mage forums recently and finally decided to roll a mage (Guardian \o/). I've been having a lot of luck with Icy Carapace/Crystalline Missiles and Lightning Strike for Sudden Nuke on people in the lowbie bracket. How do they scale as the game progresses? Should I keep going down this path or should I do something else?

This is what I'm using right now (I have an extra point that I'm not totally sure what I did with):
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zqyR.xkckM.V

-Liang

Ed: PVP obviously. single target nuke doesn't matter so much in PVE it seems
    Its nice if you get a chance to freecast on people, but ele doesn't have some of the survive-ability or control that exists from the other pvp splashes. Like sc, pyro, and warlock. You can see some big numbers and generally someone at 50% isn't going to worry about their life - a CM+IC will kill someone at that point, if it crits. | Though they do get their own break free. :/
    Last edited by Paramnesia; 07-28-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Soulwalker

It scales ok I can crit close to 1700 with lightning strike at lvl 43, add a couple 800 crit for crystal missle/carapace and thats 3300 damage in a few seconds - enough to kill a lot of players that are at 50% health.

You really don't have alot of choices in the 50-P6 brackett if you really want to stay alive against a Paragon with a pocket healer. Chlorolock, Dom/Chloro or 51 Dom if you have a good healer are about all that's viable ATM.

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

I though that i forgot to train maximum rank of Ice Carapace because it was doing 30 damage per tick at lvl 50. Then i visited my trainer.....

/target Trion
    /facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by lol u mad? View Post
    You really don't have alot of choices in the 50-P6 brackett if you really want to stay alive against a Paragon with a pocket healer. Chlorolock, Dom/Chloro or 51 Dom if you have a good healer are about all that's viable ATM.
    This guy is right... At competitive level 50 bracket these builds are the only ones thats viable atm. Any other build is basically just free faction as they die randomly in about 2 sec. - over and over and over. The issue with ele is casttimes = death. If a warrior charges you, you will basically be dead in the time it takes you to cast a lightning strike. And even if you by some miracle should finish the cast before he uses his finisher, chances are you will miss, as every melee with half a brain will run through you at the end of cast, thus making the entire cast miss due to the LoS issue.

Been trying to experiment with some variations of ele myself. But its simply not viable by any means in a pvp setting.

Btw. When they also nerf domis into the ground in 1.4, the only halfviable spec will be chloro/lock, so you might just as well start playing it now. No, you cant really kill anyone, and no you dont have much cc, but at least you will be able to put up some halfdecent aoe and healing, and will be able to survive for a couple seconds more than the usual 3, every 3 min or so.

Attention plz i just discovered cool bug

if you pop up elemental forces no matter what spell you cast it will force ice carapace to explode.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Zilvereen View Post
    Attention plz i just discovered cool bug

if you pop up elemental forces no matter what spell you cast it will force ice carapace to explode.
    It's not a bug. Elemental Forces counts as any sort of elemental damage. So since Icy Carapace explodes when hit by Earth magic, Elemental Forces will trigger it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caydin View Post
    It's not a bug. Elemental Forces counts as any sort of elemental damage. So since Icy Carapace explodes when hit by Earth magic, Elemental Forces will trigger it.

hmm... no elemental forces say "random" dmg .Check combat log , it does fire/water etc and still triggers ice carapace.

Amusing thing I've found for PVP:
    - Exposure + petatack
    - Crystalline Missile
    - Icy Carapace while Missile is in the air
    - Lightning Strike
    - Ignite (if LS didn't already kill them)

The CM seems to hit about the time you're half way through the LS cast timer. The already-in-the-air CM triggers the just-now-cast IC and 1-1.5 sec later they get hit for LS. It's a tricky way to stack up all the damage that I have at my low level (dinged 20 last night). The great part is that people don't tend to try to go for LOS until they get hit for CM+IC - making it far too late to avoid the LS.

Makes for a great damage spike provided nothing gets resisted (ha ha ha ha wtf guys seriously? Damage mitigation *AND* X% chance to totally resist off the same stat???)

-Liang

Ed: Also, Crucia mirrors are the bee's knees for reverse stunning charging warriors.
    Last edited by Liang Nuren; 07-29-2011 at 08:46 AM.

+ Reply to Thread