+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is synthesis really worth it?

Default Is synthesis really worth it?

I recently speced into a healing support role for my mage (chloro), and speced into synthesis per recomendation of a friend. I tried it out for 2-3 days, and while I did ok healing, it seemed that my overall healing was quite a bit less when ever I had synthesis on the tank. I looked more closely and noticed that synthesis only buffs lifebound veil, and not lifegiving veil.
    Is it just me, or is having a much higher overall healing more important than a few percentage points higher heals on the tank?

(soryr if this topic has already been covered, I just figured I would vent in case it hasn't...)

Plane Touched

You are healing others less but the synthesis person MUCH more. Nature's touch double dips, void life double dips. So especially since void life is spammable that lifebound veil is the improvedment. By double dipping applying their healing twice to the synth person instead of once.

Quote Originally Posted by Malagus View Post
    You are healing others less but the synthesis person MUCH more. Nature's touch double dips, void life double dips. So especially since void life is spammable that lifebound veil is the improvedment. By double dipping applying their healing twice to the synth person instead of once.
    That is good to know, Thanks. I guess I will keep it in the tool box for the times I am main healing the tank.

Ascendant

Do you want your tank to die, or not?

That's really the only question.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Shiftygirl View Post
    I recently speced into a healing support role for my mage (chloro)
    Then the answer is no.

Synthesis + Nature's Touch + Natural Fusion combo is for main tank healing (or tanking elite mobs and healing your pet to infinity).

You're SUPPORT (as quoted above) so your job is to keep everyone else alive while the main healer tries to keep the tank alive. In that case, use Lifegiving Veil and spam Radiant Spores + Withering Vine + Vile Spores. Save Ruin, Bloom, Flourish, Natural Conversion for those OH SNAP! moments. Spec into Warlock for Opportunity so you can spam Vile Spores even more. Obviously, you can add more into this rotation but playing support as Chloro is so easy it's almost like cheating. It's fun too because you DPS while you heal. Add Archon and you can even bring more to the group by buffing them!

General of Telara

http://bluedots.org/2011/07/07/chlor...warlock-guide/

If bluedot doesnt take it then it must not be that good.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasmgp View Post
    http://bluedots.org/2011/07/07/chlor...warlock-guide/

If bluedot doesnt take it then it must not be that good.
    That is a RAID healing build not a TANK healing build. If you are primarily the tank healer then you will want Synthesis, NT, and 3/3 NF, actually you will want a pure 51p Chloro build if you're tank healing at 50. If you're not in charge of keeping the tank up then you don't need Synthesis, nor do you need a 51p soul as you can heal more with a spec like the one in the post you mentioned.

L2Readthepostyousubmitbeforesubmittingitandthinkin gyouknowwhatyou'retalkingabout.
    Last edited by Artorous; 07-25-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Chloro/lock is for raid heals, 51 chloro is for tank heals.

I take NT even in the raid healing spec but am not using synthesis. It just hits hard for opp procs.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Artorous View Post
    L2Readthepostyousubmitbeforesubmittingitandthinkin gyouknowwhatyou'retalkingabout.
    He said "Healing Support Role"

think maybe you should "L2read"

Quote Originally Posted by thomasmgp View Post
    He said "Healing Support Role"

think maybe you should "L2read"
    Also said for main tank healing too, or did you just exclude that post too?

If you're tank healing, you need a 51-point build, and you have to synthesize the tank. 1.3 separated our aoe and single-target heals, so your overall healing will be lower with LBV + Synthesis, but LGV alone will not keep a tank alive.

If you're raid-healing, then you want a Chloro/Lock build (this is what I use -- over 1200 hps on Oracle/Hylas/LGS easily) for more damage. In that case, just avoid Synthesis altogether since you can't tank heal without a 51-point build anyway.

I know it's been breezed through, but it seems something major the OP missed was Lifegiving Vale (LGV) and Lifebound Vale (LBV).

You use LBV when main tank healing, and LGV when raid healing. Using synthesis automatically puts up LBV. That is why your heals were lower. You were casting LGV first, then putting up synthesis which overwrites your LGV with LBV meaning you suddenly had lower group healing since you suddenly were in your tank healing role without noticing it.

For support healing only, you can use either 51 pt or 36/30. For tank healing you NEED 51 point.

What I recommend int he future, is to put up Synthesis, then put up LGV afterwards. That was you'll have an even greater increase in healing as you'll be healing the tank a little, and can easily swap between the two by swapping buffs depending on the fight.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Emoge View Post

What I recommend int he future, is to put up Synthesis, then put up LGV afterwards. That was you'll have an even greater increase in healing as you'll be healing the tank a little, and can easily swap between the two by swapping buffs depending on the fight.
    Having Synth up with LGV does absolutely nothing except let you use Empathic Bond. If you don't need the mana regen there's no reason to put it up at all.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Plane Touched

As documented in other threads. The heals only double-dip if you are in range of the tank. 20m I believe. So if you noticed its not double-dipping, you need to be closer to the tank.

+ Reply to Thread