+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Chloro Healing in T1/2?

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple Nativus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    119

    Default Chloro Healing in T1/2?

    So I'm fairly new to RIFT, only been playing about a month, hit 50 a while back. I'm running 51/10/5 Chloro/Necro/Ele build for healing, I've got 800 SP, 143 Focus, and 23% crit.

    Before now I'm been mostly doing DPS, but after a healer DCed upon entering a T1 I offered to give healing a try, I really enjoyed it. I had played healers in other MMOs, most recently a priest in WoW, and I never really liked it, but Chloro is actually fun.

    Problem is, I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. The first two runs I did were with the same tank, fairly well geared at 11k HP unbuffed, never had a problem, spammed VL, NT when Op procced, and the single target heal and team heal when needed to top people off, and a few other abilities when I felt like playing around.

    But today I tried again, and entered Realm of the Fae as a healer again, and struggled like you wouldn't believe, I was popping essence surge whenever it was up, spamming heals, bosses were fine, but trash was killing me.

    Now I'm not sure if it was me or if it was the tank (a few times I had mobs peal off late in the fight, mobs I wasn't targeting, as I always assist the tank to find a target, and smash me in the face), he had about 8k HP fully buffed, I'm honestly not sure what stats a tank should have in T1, or what I should have in order to be healing.

    So I'm feeling my confidence really at a low ebb, I don't want to waste people's time if I'm going to cause wipes, so any advice would be welcome.

    My rotation is RS > VL > VL > NT when op procs, with synthis on the tank.

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    180

    Default

    What you're describing sounds like a tank problem. If heal aggro is pulling the non DPSd mobs to you then the tank is the one screwing up.
    I was healing a King's Breach run when our tank had to drop on the last fight. Our DPS warrior switched to tanking but keeping him alive was impossible. Granted it could have been my inexperience, but you can definitly tell the difference between a solid tank and someone who is just trying it out.

  3. #3
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    48

    Default

    8k buffed for a tank sounds like he's a fresh 50. Was it T1? I don't have a problem healing T1 with our regular tank, it's pretty easy actually...

  4. #4
    Rift Master Guaritor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    673

    Default

    Yeah, what your describing sounds like a tank problem, if he was losing aggro at all, it's something he needs to work on. Of course, his class also matters, if you ran with a geared warrior the first time, and an undergeared cleric the second, that could have been an issue too.

    RotF is also the hardest t1 (not saying much anymore, but it used to be a ***** and a half).

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple syn2083's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nativus View Post
    So I'm fairly new to RIFT, only been playing about a month, hit 50 a while back. I'm running 51/10/5 Chloro/Necro/Ele build for healing, I've got 800 SP, 143 Focus, and 23% crit.

    Before now I'm been mostly doing DPS, but after a healer DCed upon entering a T1 I offered to give healing a try, I really enjoyed it. I had played healers in other MMOs, most recently a priest in WoW, and I never really liked it, but Chloro is actually fun.

    Problem is, I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. The first two runs I did were with the same tank, fairly well geared at 11k HP unbuffed, never had a problem, spammed VL, NT when Op procced, and the single target heal and team heal when needed to top people off, and a few other abilities when I felt like playing around.

    But today I tried again, and entered Realm of the Fae as a healer again, and struggled like you wouldn't believe, I was popping essence surge whenever it was up, spamming heals, bosses were fine, but trash was killing me.

    Now I'm not sure if it was me or if it was the tank (a few times I had mobs peal off late in the fight, mobs I wasn't targeting, as I always assist the tank to find a target, and smash me in the face), he had about 8k HP fully buffed, I'm honestly not sure what stats a tank should have in T1, or what I should have in order to be healing.

    So I'm feeling my confidence really at a low ebb, I don't want to waste people's time if I'm going to cause wipes, so any advice would be welcome.

    My rotation is RS > VL > VL > NT when op procs, with synthis on the tank.
    I'm going to mirror Dez here.

    This sounds more like a Tank problem. Another point to consider could be someone else overwriting your Synth (it does happen with new 50s in T1s).

    Beyond that, due to some of the issues with Synth range, you want to make sure your fairly close to tank too so your not 21+m out. I like to stay nearly in melee range to a side (avoid cleaves). Also lets me drop WG or corrosion (pull depending) if wanted/needed. Don't forget EV when you do some VL (toggle it on/off) it does help. Also, if there be casters, Natural Conversion. Turn that 1.2k mob nuke into a 1.2k heal.

    If the tank is under geared you need all the incrementals you can get so try to add RS/WV right off to give a cushion (small, but every little bit is going to help). If trash specifically is what is giving you problems on a low geared tank, Natural Splendor rocks. The stacked healing can usually outpace the damage a low tank takes. Make sure its up on all the larger trash pulls and it will be allot Easier. Between NS, WG and Corrosion you can usually have one of the three up for each trash pull from large (1/no elite 6-10 non elite) to normal (1-3 elites). Also do not forget to cleanse. Some of the stuff a tank gets on him won't really matter a ton, but stacked DoTs on a newly geared tank can wreak him, so cleanse away!

    In a way its good to play with newly geared tanks, it forces you to use everything you have at hand. It's more rough, and depending on your own gear/sp levels may or may not work out but you will get much much better for those instances latter on in a T2 where you should have wiped hardcore cause someone *accidentally* pulled an extra pat and 6 non elites on top of the normal pull. That is really fun to get through.

    When one of our tanks in fresh 50 blues started out Dungeon tanking it was incredibly hard to keep him up in T1s vs another one who has been tanking dungeons since normal rotf up and geared out more quickly.

    If you are pugging and get a tank who seems newly geared/fresh that will probably be more of a seat of your pants ride. If you peel aggro from him then most likely he is doing something sorta off. If you can do it with some tact you can try to bring it up.

    As eclap said, 8k is pretty fresh.
    -Crash the silence for the sake of memory-

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Squishy tanks are hard to heal for, especially the ones that take damage from trash like they're getting cleaved by a boss.

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple Nativus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    119

    Default

    I think you guys are right, just did a T2, AP, with a tank about the same gear level, 8700HP buffed, and it was a LOT easier then the one I did earlier. We didn't finish, kept wiping on the last boss, who I might add is a MASSIVE PAIN IN THE BACKSIDE, we called it after about an hour and a bit of trying, no one went away mad at anyone else, which is very rare for a pug where hit a wall, but I think we all realised that it was no-one's fault, we kept getting him to about 20% before people started dying.

    So I feel better, little sad we didn't get him down, but I know I can heal.

  8. #8
    Rift Master Guaritor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nativus View Post
    I think you guys are right, just did a T2, AP, with a tank about the same gear level, 8700HP buffed, and it was a LOT easier then the one I did earlier. We didn't finish, kept wiping on the last boss, who I might add is a MASSIVE PAIN IN THE BACKSIDE, we called it after about an hour and a bit of trying, no one went away mad at anyone else, which is very rare for a pug where hit a wall, but I think we all realised that it was no-one's fault, we kept getting him to about 20% before people started dying.

    So I feel better, little sad we didn't get him down, but I know I can heal.
    Honestly, that guy can be a pain for anyone to solo heal, I generally just have a rogue suck it up and bard.

    Some tips though, get right against the lazers in front of you to buy yourself a good amount of casting time, then wind up a natures touch while he's casting his big aoe. Try to time it so that it hits right after the aoe, then you have flourish and ruin and everyone should be back in safe range (your passive heals should get them back to full).
    Last edited by Guaritor; 07-25-2011 at 09:28 AM.

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Slight change of subject but I think a new thread would be overkill:

    In anticipation of running T2s again to get marks, I'm going to dust off the 51 chloro. But I never looked at the build intensely.

    Some say 51/15/0 chloro lock archon for the P$ buff and opportunity procs
    Some say 51/10/5 chloro dom lock for the dom virtues
    is the chloro/ele raid build that bombs flourish crits viable for 5 mans?

    I am comfy wih 51/15/0 chloro archon archmage: i like the debuffs and tank shield mostly, but the raid buffs come in handy when no one else has them. Am break free pwns blood dood on ap and the spider on dd. The archon debuffs also shred in pvp But I've never critically weighed it against the other builds.

    What say you?

  10. #10
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Bottom line if a chloro is pulling aggro doing anything aside from natural splendor on the pull it's clear the tanks fault.

    As far as your rotation goes, I wouldnt just save NT for opportunity procs... It still heals for a huge chunk of health, and should be used even without opportunity. Honestly NT should be cast just about every time it's up.

    Also if you are tank healing remember that just casting synth will put on LBV, make sure you are not casting synth, then putting on LGV as this will gimp your tank healing.

    A chloro should only pull aggro once in a blue moon, this is a problem with the tank. On the other hand, a chloro as long as you are 51 pt should have no problem main tank healing. Remember to use your bloom as well, I tend to cast NT, and while its flying cast bloom, this is actually more healing than an essence surge.
    Mesk
    [Lunchbox Bandits]

  11. #11
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rilke View Post
    Slight change of subject but I think a new thread would be overkill:

    In anticipation of running T2s again to get marks, I'm going to dust off the 51 chloro. But I never looked at the build intensely.

    Some say 51/15/0 chloro lock archon for the P$ buff and opportunity procs
    Some say 51/10/5 chloro dom lock for the dom virtues
    is the chloro/ele raid build that bombs flourish crits viable for 5 mans?

    I am comfy wih 51/15/0 chloro archon archmage: i like the debuffs and tank shield mostly, but the raid buffs come in handy when no one else has them. Am break free pwns blood dood on ap and the spider on dd. The archon debuffs also shred in pvp But I've never critically weighed it against the other builds.

    What say you?
    I dont see 15 points in lock being very useful, after 10 points what are you gaining? I like opportunity, and 5% more crit...
    Mesk
    [Lunchbox Bandits]

  12. #12
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    444

    Default

    What is your INT? I'm sure it's fine given your other numbers.Also I dont' really pay attention to crit.

    Focus>INT>SP>W/E

    Quote Originally Posted by Nativus View Post
    So I'm fairly new to RIFT, only been playing about a month, hit 50 a while back. I'm running 51/10/5 Chloro/Necro/Ele build for healing, I've got 800 SP, 143 Focus, and 23% crit.

    Before now I'm been mostly doing DPS, but after a healer DCed upon entering a T1 I offered to give healing a try, I really enjoyed it. I had played healers in other MMOs, most recently a priest in WoW, and I never really liked it, but Chloro is actually fun.

    Problem is, I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. The first two runs I did were with the same tank, fairly well geared at 11k HP unbuffed, never had a problem, spammed VL, NT when Op procced, and the single target heal and team heal when needed to top people off, and a few other abilities when I felt like playing around.

    But today I tried again, and entered Realm of the Fae as a healer again, and struggled like you wouldn't believe, I was popping essence surge whenever it was up, spamming heals, bosses were fine, but trash was killing me.

    Now I'm not sure if it was me or if it was the tank (a few times I had mobs peal off late in the fight, mobs I wasn't targeting, as I always assist the tank to find a target, and smash me in the face), he had about 8k HP fully buffed, I'm honestly not sure what stats a tank should have in T1, or what I should have in order to be healing.

    So I'm feeling my confidence really at a low ebb, I don't want to waste people's time if I'm going to cause wipes, so any advice would be welcome.

    My rotation is RS > VL > VL > NT when op procs, with synthis on the tank.

  13. #13
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    444

    Default

    That fight is awesome when you get it down.

    keep RS up Move>VL Move>VL... top off with a bloom here and there.. when you hear the warning wait two seconds cast NT then flourish. repeat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nativus View Post
    I think you guys are right, just did a T2, AP, with a tank about the same gear level, 8700HP buffed, and it was a LOT easier then the one I did earlier. We didn't finish, kept wiping on the last boss, who I might add is a MASSIVE PAIN IN THE BACKSIDE, we called it after about an hour and a bit of trying, no one went away mad at anyone else, which is very rare for a pug where hit a wall, but I think we all realised that it was no-one's fault, we kept getting him to about 20% before people started dying.

    So I feel better, little sad we didn't get him down, but I know I can heal.
    Last edited by moda; 07-25-2011 at 01:11 PM.

  14. #14
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    444

    Default

    personally I like a rotation of NT>VL. because I like to queue up other stuff on the NT cast and I haven't noticed any problem healing T2's this way. Obviously if opportunity procs and NT is off CD then I cast it interrupting VL.


    it's pretty fun casting this. Watch the cast bar go right then watch it go left. Plus it seems that casting bloom after NT is a bigger benefit than casting it with VL but maybe that's just me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mesk View Post
    Bottom line if a chloro is pulling aggro doing anything aside from natural splendor on the pull it's clear the tanks fault.

    As far as your rotation goes, I wouldnt just save NT for opportunity procs... It still heals for a huge chunk of health, and should be used even without opportunity. Honestly NT should be cast just about every time it's up.

    Also if you are tank healing remember that just casting synth will put on LBV, make sure you are not casting synth, then putting on LGV as this will gimp your tank healing.

    A chloro should only pull aggro once in a blue moon, this is a problem with the tank. On the other hand, a chloro as long as you are 51 pt should have no problem main tank healing. Remember to use your bloom as well, I tend to cast NT, and while its flying cast bloom, this is actually more healing than an essence surge.

  15. #15
    Rift Master Guaritor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mesk View Post
    I dont see 15 points in lock being very useful, after 10 points what are you gaining? I like opportunity, and 5% more crit...
    Well for someone new to healing (and possibly undergeared), 10% hp is a nice boost...

    Really, 10% hp and 40 int/wis vs 5% crit... eh.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts