+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: State of the Mage, and where I want it to go.

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    15

    Default State of the Mage, and where I want it to go.

    Im about to try to post my credentials, though from experience they have no bearing on the forum police ^^
    http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...1/NecParse.jpg

    Above is my parse for our latest pluto kill.
    Using Necro/Lock
    My unbuffed stats
    SP 1115
    Crit 705

    With a less blunders in the rotation (there wernt many), I believe I could have attained 1700.
    With BiS Gear, (+~150ish SP, +~100ish crit) from my knoweldge of scaling I could have attained around 1900+

    Witht the changes coming in in 1.4, inc +200 SP Spellstones, Less charge consumption for Soul Purge and Empty the Crypts, and the change to spotters, I would expect this to rise to 2100+.

    After testing, even with the charge reduction and the with a bunch of wasted charge, it is still worth it to do a split necro/lock with the current rotation over a defile/necro spec.

    In short, NecroLock is still the most competitive single target dps spec, and will remain so post 1.4.

    Sc/Ele BS rotation will I believe make gains on the Necro/Lock soley due to the spotters change, But will still be inferior.

    Zoomancer, is not the best ST dps spec, even at the moment. (Unless you are parsing your first 2 CD's and stopping the parse after that). After 1.4 it will be trash.

    Pyro/Ele will make decent gains, and will be the spec of choice for new/inferior players..

    Where I want the specs to be.

    I want to play 4-5 DPS spec depending on the situation.

    NecroLock: Soul Purge is too strong atm. Not only does it ensure that you will never die ever to raidwide damage, its dps alone makes NecroLock good, and is a cover for the fact that DoT's are TERRIBLE. I challenge anyone to try to have a have decent parse with this spec without using Soul Purge. The fact that post 1.4, it is still beneficial to only use Soul Purge when you would only miss ~3 ticks of Soul Purge per rotation for putting up defile full time is proof of this. I would love to see a HUGE increase to DoT's, possibly making 51 lock a competive spec. Soul Purge would of course be nerfed to compensate for the dps gain from the DoTs. This would be the ideal ST rotation.

    Pyro/Ele There currently are not very many fights where Pyro/Ele shines. My criteriea for this is
    1. Many single target switches
    2. Not alot of movement.
    Reason being that Pyro is the only spec that can currently switch targets without a dps loss. This spec is also VERY easy compared to SC and NecroLock. i do NOT want this to EVER be the top ST dps spec. but It can be the spec that is easy to pull off, and does good enough numbers to make mages on the lower end of competitive.

    Sc/Ele I do still enjoy this spec, even after being forced to play it for months until 1.3. It shines with High ST dps, mixed with some AOE, in this it parses fine compared to the other classes. It suffers terribly from single target switches, particularly when the target dies before the rotation can get rolling. If there was ever a fight where there was a AOE dps check on a 1+ minute timer, I would like to see a 51 SC build be ideal. Currently the Sc/Ele still out parses this build for AOE, even during the CD phase.

    Those are my thoughts, and I hope Trion implements them. Now go ahead forum go'ers and do what you do best, and shred my logic with your awesomeness.

  2. #2
    Sez
    Sez is offline
    Ascendant Sez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MantusUS View Post
    Now go ahead forum go'ers and do what you do best, and shred my logic with your awesomeness.
    What logic? You posted your thoughts and opinions. There is nothing wrong with that.

    My only suggestion would be to put future thoughts in the... wait for it... PTS forum.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

    - Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

  3. #3
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MantusUS View Post
    Zoomancer, is not the best ST dps spec, even at the moment. (Unless you are parsing your first 2 CD's and stopping the parse after that). After 1.4 it will be trash.
    First part of this statement I disagree. There have been many parses well over 1800, and I think I even saw a 1900 zoomancer kill. My own experience has zoomancer>necrolock. There are a lot of biases against zoomancer; I should know, I had that same "this is such a stupid spec" feeling too. But I couldn't argue with results, and once I tried it, I kind of liked it.

    Second part of the statement I agree. Zoomancer does well because Split Personality does insane amounts of damage. Since that is getting nerfed to oblivion, dominator will be useless past 10 points for the +INT talent.

  4. #4
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrocaster View Post
    First part of this statement I disagree. There have been many parses well over 1800, and I think I even saw a 1900 zoomancer kill. My own experience has zoomancer>necrolock. There are a lot of biases against zoomancer; I should know, I had that same "this is such a stupid spec" feeling too. But I couldn't argue with results, and once I tried it, I kind of liked it.

    Second part of the statement I agree. Zoomancer does well because Split Personality does insane amounts of damage. Since that is getting nerfed to oblivion, dominator will be useless past 10 points for the +INT talent.
    I thought Split P was only being nerfed in PvP ...


    Did I miss something?
    Last edited by Brad1959; 07-23-2011 at 02:40 PM.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

  5. #5
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad1959 View Post
    I thought Split P was only being nerfed in PvP ...

    Did I miss something?
    You may be right... I think I just read those pvp nerfs and thought it applied to PvE too. I refuse to go on the test shard (not paying to test a game), so it would be nice to see what they are doing damage wise in pve.

  6. #6
    Plane Touched Capri Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad1959 View Post
    I thought Split P was only being nerfed in PvP ...


    Did I miss something?
    They're making it so Spotter's Order doesn't affect pets.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts