+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage tank

Rift Disciple

Default Mage tank

So I posted awhile back that I was going to test Elem/dom for tanking.

After numerous runs, Some failing miserably and others succeeding beyond recognition I have made a video. Sadly the quality is fairly crap at the moment. This is mainly due to me being lazy, and the fact that I game on a 15inch Laptop.

A few notes:

Yes I click. No I'm not going to change. It works for me, What you do works for you. I couldn't really care less.

I do lag a little bit in spots, It does explain how jumpy it is at the start of the film as well as some towards the end.

Yes my reaction times are a little shot to ****. Again, I'm lazy, and Have been working large days lately...

If you don't like my taste in music. There is mute button. Use it.

The spec is as follows:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...oAd.Mci0ikohfk

Again, It can be tweaked. I know Bluedot did a video on Chloro/elem tanking, I wanted to test Dom. Hence the reason. I got some nice footage of some CCing pulls.

I wasn't too happy with my performance on the Konstantin pull. I had done it tanking 2-3 times previously before I finally decided to film it. Sadly, the one time I film it I happen to make myself look like a noob on spikes..

Spec wise. It seemed viable. Of course it was a hell of a lot slower than a more traditional tank, but On Boss pulls, I still pulled more dps than a traditional tank and wasn't sitting near the bottom. Was pulling around 500-600ish, which is decent for t1s. (In a pure support role).

Obviously, a few of you will troll and say why bother. In an early response:

1. I'm bored.
    2. It proved to cause many laughs in vent, especially when I cocked up. Its interesting to play the other side of the scale and have my usual tank pull aggro and use my own damn lines against me.
    3. Its something different. Out of all the pugs I did, I heard that the most. Most people didn't tend to mind the occasional wipe if you cocked up. As, it was something most people didn't expect. The hardest thing was training Dps to assist the pet, as his AoE aggro is a little crap to be honest. His AoE taunt only hitting a maximum of 4 targets. Partly Why I decided to go dom, As you can effectively Squirrel, Perma root two targets as well as the option of reflecting spells back to casters.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78PZT0fHduc

Edit** Forgot to actually post the video.. Fail.
    Last edited by Desidus; 07-23-2011 at 04:47 AM.

give locks mien of leadership and there we have a mage tank

interesting vid

Try doing a Raid Rift with that spec lol ! ( Not going to ask you to do a real raid lol, just not possible )

Rift Disciple

first kb was the best man

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by deveilblad View Post
    Try doing a Raid Rift with that spec lol ! ( Not going to ask you to do a real raid lol, just not possible )
    Would not really work. Mobs in Raid rifts are immune to CC. And the Pet really doesnt have the health for it.

As the pets health scales of Your health you really need to stack endurance. The only way I could see it being pushed over 7k, self buffed, would be with points in Lock and then The archon Health buff.

I will test in a T2 sometime. But personally, I think he will get destroyed.

Prophet of Telara

very cool! how did you manage to convince the pug to let you tank? i would've rolled eyes and left, lol!

+ Reply to Thread