+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How does the warlock greater essence stack up on their DoT spells?

Default How does the warlock greater essence stack up on their DoT spells?

Does anybody have any data on this question? I would love to hear some info if it is actually worth getting or should I just say F it and keep my sourcestones.

lgw

It kinda depends on your specific spec etc, but it's about the equivalent of 150-200 SP for your DOTs while it's up (that is more or less always with good timing). So personally I give it a thumbs up if you want to build yourself a focus specifically for WL - it's cheap enough to get anyway.
    ... aka schoklat. PVP nerd - gaming vet.
    First of slackers, herder of trolls.
    Wildstar PVP inc

I used to be a big believer in using it, but hard math proves it's terrible. It does not scale with Raid buffs + it does not scale with Pets how a lesser would. I'm not really sure where the 100-200 SP thing came from but that's not correct. If your Dot would normally do 1000 overall damage, w/ the greater it would do 1111. if it did 1500, it would now do 1611. Basically the better your stats and SP get, the worse the greater becomes.

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Plane Touched

its not 111SP, its 111 damage for once per dot - useless.
    Last edited by DontBluffMyJ; 07-22-2011 at 11:53 AM.

I hated necrotic rage, and the 5th lesser essence wasnt as good imo so I went with this.

This dot works for Life leech, necrosis, dark touch, searing vitality, and grave rot. I think it also works on devouring shadows, soul purge, and defile. So it ends up being a lot added imo but if you play alternate specs often it wont be good at all. I'm always a necrolock for dps so it fits.

while testing i recieved no bonuses to channeled damage over time abilities only set it and forget it ones...

Maybe it has changed since but even as low as a 28 sp power lesser does more with hard math considering the multipliers present in raid, and if it doesn't for you right now, it will as your spell power gets higher.

Another consideration is the more times where fights require rebuff or switching targets, which subsequently causes for less then perfect rotations i.e. timing a DOT reset to happen twice within every draining bolt proc's up-time, the maximization of the greater

Additionally, a more isolated model, base stats improves damage of spell after coefficient. damage of spell after coefficient is improved by ure cool downs whether they be just sac life damage or lich form. the greater is static and will not help those cool downs as 28 spell power (a lower end lesser when using 5 or 6) will..

lgw

On testing:
    I tested the increase by using a 100 SP trinket, and it was about half (varying some per DOT) what the essence gave me.

On scaling:
    +X SP is always the same, no matter if you go from 100 SP to 200 SP, or from 1000 SP to 1100 SP, it will always add the same amount of damage. Scaling only depends on your spec, so this argument is moot.

On usage:
    It's quite simple - cast Draining Bolt, cast DOTs, refresh DOTs before they run out, recast DB when CD is up.
    Basically everything except Void Bolt is one kind of DOT or another in your WL (+ Necro) spec, so it adds to most everything.
    Wildstar PVP inc

Rift Disciple

The question really is does the greater add damage to the spell or does it make the spell act as if you had X more spell power.
    If it simply adds X total damage to every dot, it's nice but it's not that great.
    If it makes the dot act as if your total SP was X higher, then it might be worth it.
    I was always under the impression that it simply adds X damage to your dots.

lgw

Quote Originally Posted by Oscelot View Post
    The question really is does the greater add damage to the spell or does it make the spell act as if you had X more spell power.
    If it simply adds X total damage to every dot, it's nice but it's not that great.
    If it makes the dot act as if your total SP was X higher, then it might be worth it.
    I was always under the impression that it simply adds X damage to your dots.
    It always is a fixed amount, which is not affected by scaling.
    I gave the approximate SP equivalent, so you could compare it to the benefits of putting 5th BIS lesser there instead. The rough equivalent is 150-200 SP, varying by specific spec and DOT. Due effective 80-100% uptime and 60-80% DOT ratio of total damage I gave the recommendation that it's worth it, if and only if you want to build a specific WL focus. I still have anybody see prove me wrong.
    Last edited by lgw; 07-22-2011 at 03:48 PM.
    Wildstar PVP inc

Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post
    On testing:
    I tested the increase by using a 100 SP trinket, and it was about half (varying some per DOT) what the essence gave me.

On scaling:
    +X SP is always the same, no matter if you go from 100 SP to 200 SP, or from 1000 SP to 1100 SP, it will always add the same amount of damage. Scaling only depends on your spec, so this argument is moot.

On usage:
    It's quite simple - cast Draining Bolt, cast DOTs, refresh DOTs before they run out, recast DB when CD is up.
    Basically everything except Void Bolt is one kind of DOT or another in your WL (+ Necro) spec, so it adds to most everything.
    But the essence doesn't add +xSP, It adds a flat 111 damage to your dots, regardless of how much buffs are affecting their overall base damage. That's why it isn't very good, becase of stat scaling in a raid environment. I was very disappointed because, like you I parsed it on dummies and it consistently performed better than a lesser. Real Raid DPS tests prove otherwise though.

This is not even taking into account other things that lessers give, such as the +crit from Int and Resists.

Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post
    It always is a fixed amount, which is not affected by scaling.
    I gave the approximate SP equivalent, so you could compare it to the benefits of putting 5th BIS lesser there instead. The rough equivalent is 150-200 SP, varying by specific spec and DOT. Due effective 80-100% uptime and 60-80% DOT ratio of total damage I gave the recommendation that it's worth it, if and only if you want to build a specific WL focus. I still have anybody see prove me wrong.
    this is news to me. Do you have any Parses to prove this? All testing that was done before showed it only added a flat 111 damage.

Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

lgw

Quote Originally Posted by lol u mad? View Post
    But the essence doesn't add +xSP, It adds a flat 111 damage to your dots, regardless of how much buffs are affecting their overall base damage. That's why it isn't very good, becase of stat scaling in a raid environment. I was very disappointed because, like you I parsed it on dummies and it consistently performed better than a lesser. Real Raid DPS tests prove otherwise though.
    Doens't quite matter.
    The only buffs that kinda scale in raid are the +crit you (15% fixed, ~200 rating from stat buffs). The rest of the scaling is all the same. All other scaling is all the same, as it's fixed by the spell you use and your talents.

This is not even taking into account other things that lessers give, such as the +crit from Int and Resists.
    Resists are 95% irrelevant.
    Crit is certainly nice - nobody denied that. It still scales not so well, unless you run a Tempest spec. It will become even worse with HK, as raid buffed we'll already be very closs to the crit softcap.

Quote Originally Posted by lol u mad? View Post
    this is news to me. Do you have any Parses to prove this? All testing that was done before showed it only added a flat 111 damage.
    I never claimed any different - just that you underestimate how well that 111 extra damage factors in.
    And I don't have any parses, as I just tested it waayy back when the stone was introduced in a few T2 runs, and afterwards only used WL for PVP.
    Wildstar PVP inc

+ Reply to Thread