+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is Pyro still the best PvP burst?

Telaran

Default Is Pyro still the best PvP burst?

I feel like I am the only Pyro left when I do WF's. However, I am still always in the top 2-3 with Killing Blows and DPS at Rank 4. I am not a big fan of spamming aoe to juice numbers because unless it's organized you're not going to kill anything if the other side has a decent healer. So far I have been of the opinion if it ain't broke don't fix it, but let's be honest Pyro is not the most exciting class to play.

So what specs are you guys running now in pvp? Dom is a neat class, but the burst dps seems to be pretty poor...unless im doing it wrong.

Plane Touched

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...0R.fx0Ak0qxk.x

Is the build I use in PvP

I did not take synthesis because if I want to single target heal in pvp I'll switch to my 51 Chloromancer build. This is for AoE healing and AoE damage along with having very high survivability.

For AoE damage the basic "rotation" if you can ever have one of those in PvP is this.

Dark Touch > Neddra's Grasp > Radiate Death> Nature's Fury> Devouring Shadows

You will want to use your charge for Entropic veil before this setup starts, I do not know if using entropic veil after Dark touch> Neddra's Grasp but before Radiate death will provide the bonus to the AoE'd dots or not but I apply it at the very start anyway.

Furthermore, you can do even heavier burst AoE if you have a SP trinket such as the codex trinket, and use SLD prior to the setup.

Nature's fury is you main dps nuke, at 1k sp mine hits harder than my void bolt and it hits up to 4 targets. If you're doing only single target then use the time between CD's to dot the target with Dark Touch>withering vine>Radiant spores>Void Bolt> Draining Bolt> Ruin. Or you can use the time to heal yourself with Bloom>Flourish>Draining Bolt.

For survivability you want Neddra's Essence and Shadow Life hotkeyed for quick use. When getting focused you always want to use neddra's essence first, then shadow life. If you have a lot of charge wait till you get cc'd with something, use Break free and then Mortality, you will usually get at least 2 or 3 ticks off. This is the only time you can really rely on mortality as it is generally interrupted asap.

If you are alone and being attacked by a melee cast wither on them, and if you are snared cast wild abandon on yourself. While running away hit them with dark touch>radiant spores> Ruin. If you think you can take them Stop and cast Withering vine and start opening up with Nature's Fury>Dots/heals>Void Bolt etc.

If you get attacked in a large battle do not fight your attacker, detaunt him and let your allies handle it. Spend your time healing yourself and dpsing another target for LGV procs.

If you see a geared dps player assist them for quick kills on priority targets.

Use SLM after a battle to restore mana, then Flourish and Bloom to restore lost health. Or drink.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

This is a copy/paste from one of my older posts, the information might not be entirely accurate compared to what I do now, as I tweak my specs often. Should be the basics though.
    Argizeos - Rank 52 - Wolfsbane

RIP Chlorolock

Dom is either all burst or none. It's all about control and making people worthless. When your cooldowns are up you lay waste. When they aren't you make people not be able to hurt you hopefully until the cooldowns come back up.

It's a very different play style from pyro.

51 dom is just plain fun.
    necro/dom does really good damage.
    dom/chrolo just annoys the crap out of people.

I do more burst dps on my dom than I do pyro. It just comes from pets and is technically several spells. It doesn't really matter to me that 3 vbs that each hit for 1.5k all land at the same time from 3 of my pets. It's the same thing as a fulminate crit. Oh and it jsut keeps going on and on and on for 30 seconds. Would you take 30 seconds of fulminates? yeah. downside is it's dispelable. good side is most clerics don't dispel jack. MM can give you grief but they are pretty easy to kill other ways. Doms also have a lot better survival than a pyro and aren't tied to a circle on the ground. Getting the burst dps however take a bit more setup and is not as instant as a pyro. This rarely matters though.
    Last edited by Mahkra; 07-22-2011 at 06:06 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Mahkra View Post
    Dom is either all burst or none. It's all about control and making people worthless. When your cooldowns are up you lay waste. When they aren't you make people not be able to hurt you hopefully until the cooldowns come back up.

It's a very different play style from pyro.

51 dom is just plain fun.
    necro/dom does really good damage.
    dom/chrolo just annoys the crap out of people.

I do more burst dps on my dom than I do pyro. It just comes from pets and is technically several spells. It doesn't really matter to me that 3 vbs that each hit for 1.5k all land at the same time from 3 of my pets. It's the same thing as a fulminate crit. Oh and it jsut keeps going on and on and on for 30 seconds. Would you take 30 seconds of fulminates? yeah. downside is it's dispelable. good side is most clerics don't dispel jack. MM can give you grief but they are pretty easy to kill other ways. Doms also have a lot better survival than a pyro and aren't tied to a circle on the ground. Getting the burst dps however take a bit more setup and is not as instant as a pyro. This rarely matters though.
    The control aspect of the dom is very interesting and it definitely has it's place. I guess my questions should have been what spec is everyone running to pew pew with? The survivability of the pyro is pretty bad, however I am usually okay unless a r6 warrior catches up to me. I don't stand in the circles every often either. Mobility is very important in pvp, imo.

Thanks for the input though. I am going to continue researching this.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Argizeos View Post
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...0R.fx0Ak0qxk.x

Is the build I use in PvP

I did not take synthesis because if I want to single target heal in pvp I'll switch to my 51 Chloromancer build. This is for AoE healing and AoE damage along with having very high survivability.

For AoE damage the basic "rotation" if you can ever have one of those in PvP is this.

Dark Touch > Neddra's Grasp > Radiate Death> Nature's Fury> Devouring Shadows

You will want to use your charge for Entropic veil before this setup starts, I do not know if using entropic veil after Dark touch> Neddra's Grasp but before Radiate death will provide the bonus to the AoE'd dots or not but I apply it at the very start anyway.

Furthermore, you can do even heavier burst AoE if you have a SP trinket such as the codex trinket, and use SLD prior to the setup.

Nature's fury is you main dps nuke, at 1k sp mine hits harder than my void bolt and it hits up to 4 targets. If you're doing only single target then use the time between CD's to dot the target with Dark Touch>withering vine>Radiant spores>Void Bolt> Draining Bolt> Ruin. Or you can use the time to heal yourself with Bloom>Flourish>Draining Bolt.

For survivability you want Neddra's Essence and Shadow Life hotkeyed for quick use. When getting focused you always want to use neddra's essence first, then shadow life. If you have a lot of charge wait till you get cc'd with something, use Break free and then Mortality, you will usually get at least 2 or 3 ticks off. This is the only time you can really rely on mortality as it is generally interrupted asap.

If you are alone and being attacked by a melee cast wither on them, and if you are snared cast wild abandon on yourself. While running away hit them with dark touch>radiant spores> Ruin. If you think you can take them Stop and cast Withering vine and start opening up with Nature's Fury>Dots/heals>Void Bolt etc.

If you get attacked in a large battle do not fight your attacker, detaunt him and let your allies handle it. Spend your time healing yourself and dpsing another target for LGV procs.

If you see a geared dps player assist them for quick kills on priority targets.

Use SLM after a battle to restore mana, then Flourish and Bloom to restore lost health. Or drink.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

This is a copy/paste from one of my older posts, the information might not be entirely accurate compared to what I do now, as I tweak my specs often. Should be the basics though.
    I think that's a very solid spec, I used to run something very similar in pvp. There just is not much dmg there single target. Healing is nice, but cholro healing is kinda meh these days.

Plane Walker

That chlorolock build is nice, i prefer a 44 lock build tho, more damage in my opinion especially single target. I spec into circle of life/call of spring specificaly for bloom/flourish since i dont get that much use out of LGV cuz i dont really use any life spells but ruin and the Withering veins for Natural Awarness. Also 3.5k Blooms Pre-warrior Hit lol is nice

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by HelRaza View Post
    I feel like I am the only Pyro left when I do WF's. However, I am still always in the top 2-3 with Killing Blows and DPS at Rank 4. I am not a big fan of spamming aoe to juice numbers because unless it's organized you're not going to kill anything if the other side has a decent healer. So far I have been of the opinion if it ain't broke don't fix it, but let's be honest Pyro is not the most exciting class to play.

So what specs are you guys running now in pvp? Dom is a neat class, but the burst dps seems to be pretty poor...unless im doing it wrong.
    I went back to a Pyro spec recently and have really been enjoying it. I got a little caught up in all the forum crying when Pyros were toned down, and tried various other specs that didn't really click with me. Went back to Pyro and it's all systems go! I'm still trying to work out which Pyro spec to settle on, but it's still good. I'm only just P2.

When i see a pyro now i run over and laugh at the free kills.

That spec is soo 1.2
    -Cane
    Arcanas - Co-Leader of Purge to Win, Bloodiron Guardian PvPvE Guild.
    Hammerknell 11/11, World #5th Akylios

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanas View Post
    When i see a pyro now i run over and laugh at the free kills.

That spec is soo 1.2
    I still run pyro/ele even after 1.3
    Not as frequently as I did before 1.3, but I still enjoy the burst it has for single target.

You can set up atleast 3 spells to hit within a second of each other or all at the same time. Countdown/Fireball/Flamebolt and there are a variety of other combinations that lead your target to be at low hit points and finished off after the last gcd.

Cinder Burst is sad now, I don't think I have done a single 4k crit in pvp since 1.3, I think I have gotten close with low valor pvp'rs but yeah no 4k crits even with Intensify Elements and gimped red wings on.

I still consider Heat Wave and Intensify elements to be solid burst. If only for 15 seconds you rain death from range.

I still post solid numbers in pug v pug wf's with the build, but I am fully geared head to toe, and bloodthirst feeds me pretty well. Not as amazing because of the on gcd inferno, but I still do well in the kb department.

Rift Disciple

Dom is the way to go if you really want to make a difference in a battle. You won't see the results in end game stats, unless you get a win for the warfront.

+ Reply to Thread