+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Scarifice your Pets in 1.5

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1

    Cool Scarifice your Pets in 1.5

    i would like to see something like this in later release.. :-)

    Scarifice pet for dmg-buff (increase dps by 90-95% of pet damage )
    or group buff

  2. #2
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dBug View Post
    i would like to see something like this in later release.. :-)

    Scarifice pet for dmg-buff (increase dps by 90-95% of pet damage )
    or group buff
    I like the idea but imagine the river of tears caused by Soul Purge with that damage..

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dBug View Post
    i would like to see something like this in later release.. :-)

    Scarifice pet for dmg-buff (increase dps by 90-95% of pet damage )
    or group buff
    Then every one would need a pet to hit top DPS. The point of a pet is to tank for you, its not to give you incredible DPS.

  4. #4
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gokeo View Post
    Then every one would need a pet to hit top DPS. The point of a pet is to tank for you, its not to give you incredible DPS.
    That's not true. As a Necro you have a tank pet, a rogue pet for melee DPS and a caster pet for AoE. The rogue pet can be used for a little burst damage if timed right. As a necro your DPS suffers quite a lot if your pet dies.

    And to be honest the only time you should ever use the tank pet is soloing elites. There's absolutely no point using it for normal mobs because the rogue pet is much more useful.

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gokeo View Post
    Then every one would need a pet to hit top DPS. The point of a pet is to tank for you, its not to give you incredible DPS.
    I thought all the top DPS builds for mages did require a pet.

    Also out of our six possible greater pets only two are tanks, the rest are some type of DPS pet.

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gokeo View Post
    The point of a pet is to tank for you, its not to give you incredible DPS.
    My Zealot pet has no tank spec.

    Pets are used for both tanking and dps.

  7. #7
    Plane Walker Pendu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dBug View Post
    i would like to see something like this in later release.. :-)

    Scarifice pet for dmg-buff (increase dps by 90-95% of pet damage )
    or group buff
    Yeah I've had my share of that in wow, back in tbc with my warlock

    Not an original idea and I don't like having to spec into a pet-tree and then having to sacrifice the whole pet for a dps increase.

    I would like to see non-pet souls more viable though
    it's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society

  8. #8
    Shield of Telara wallweasels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezyne View Post
    I thought all the top DPS builds for mages did require a pet.

    Also out of our six possible greater pets only two are tanks, the rest are some type of DPS pet.
    Yep they basically do. The only non pet builds are 51s and that's just 51 warlock (which i haven't seen to many use in raids) and thats kinda it. >_> Don't think anyone uses 51 pryo in raids and 51 SC might be okay in 1.4 but I doubt it.

    Pendu: I agree i would like to see non-pet souls more viable...however I would also like purely pet-souls to be viable. Necro 51 is pretty decent with its recent buff but all that mostly did was make necrolock better too While buffing Ele, sadly, will only make Pyro/Ele even better unless they do some kind of 36+ "pet does WAY more damage" buff so hybrids won't get it
    Last edited by wallweasels; 07-20-2011 at 08:47 AM.
    the PTS exists for a reason people. Go on, give your feedback, and help make RIFT a better game.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

  9. #9
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gokeo View Post
    Then every one would need a pet to hit top DPS. The point of a pet is to tank for you, its not to give you incredible DPS.
    The point of a pet is not to have the pet tank for you, the point of pet is to have a companion, or depending on your specific pet owning mage class, in my case a necro/lock, is to go with the lore, I control the undead, I am a warlock (necromancer in rift), and thus I have minions to my bidding and which is why they account for a chunk of my dps. So the point of having a pet, is really at it's essence a sort of role play with your character...

    But I agree, bad idea, for multiple reasons, the top 2 being we'd end up with all mages wanting to be a pet owning mage therefore much less customization and uniqueness, and second reason being it resembles MUCH too much of a vanilla wow skill my warlock used to have... sac life Succubus for the shadow dmg boost... I left wow for a reason... I don't really want RIFT to feel identical to wow, all mmo's have similarities and resemble each other in how they are made, but I like that this is not wow and hope it stays that way... my personal opinion there.

  10. #10
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Pets are for 4 roles, tanking (Earth Elemental and Skeleton Knight), Melee DPS (Skeleton Zealot), Magic DPS (Air Elemental and Shadow Revenant), and finally, Magic DPS/Control (Water Elemental). Now, if you want to get technical, the Empty the Crypts skill is Melee DPS, Split Personality is Magic DPS, Swarming Flames is Magic DPS, and Mass Grave is all that and a bag of chips. The 'role' of your pet is determined by which pet you have out, as well as your specing. For instance, the earth elemental would not be worth while as a tank without buffing Quicken Elements to its 25% healing. Rift did a decent job incorporating the relationship between the mage and its pet into its building. If you want a more powerful pet, 51 specs in either Elem or Necro are your best choices. If you really want better all around damage, you will want to cross spec, Like 31 Necro, 28 Domi, and 7 Warlock. (Love this spec since my BF showed it to me. 9 pets on the field at once is really terrifying)


    Remember the Defiant motto: Two hands at work will do more than a thousand clasped in prayer!

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts