+ Reply to Thread

Thread: There is an error in Pyro's Fireball.

Soulwalker

Default There is an error in Pyro's Fireball.

I noticed this difference when I was switching in between the Warlock and Pyromancer tree. I was testing the cast speed of Void Bolt after maxing 3/3 on the passive ability that grants a faster cast time for it. Void bolt stands at 1.5s.

Then I noticed a huge difference in cast time for Fireball when I switched back to my Pyro spec. The cast time for Fireball for 0/5 in Ignition is 2 sec and 1.6sec at 5/5. However, it never felt like 1.6s because I can feel the huge disparity.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...720040430.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...720040445.jpg/

I took a screenie of the skill description of Fireball over at the skill tree and the one at the skill bar. The cast time for both is different as shown.
    Last edited by Wolfyyy; 07-20-2011 at 12:18 AM.

HERE IS THE SOLUTION!!!
    rank 1 Fireballs got another casttime!
    case closed.

Around rank 5 or so, Fireball gains a 2.5 sec cast time base, so 2.0 with 5/5 Ignition.

second post about this today isn't?

Prophet of Telara

I hate these threads.

Soulwalker

Not an error. Just the way Trion made the fireball spell for mages. It does indeed take longer to cast the last rank of fireball vs rank 1.

They nerfed us while we leveled up without most of us even realizing it then forcing us to use skill points to bring back the cast time back down to where it originally was. Yep, working as intended.

Otherwise we might actually be somewhat competitive with how much damage fireball does with the shorter skilled cast time; if it were it like every other spell in the game where they don't take longer to cast the more you rank them up.

Out of curiousity, does anyone know of any skill/spell in the game where it takes longer to cast the more you rank them up in levels?

all ranks' casting time should be same. i think this is retarted after noticing this.
    used to be a proud member of Rift Runners till madness took over.

Shadowlander

It is a little silly, it could possibly be to make pyro more enticing while levelling, then balancing it out some at 50 and again making it more competitive by providing a higher SP coefficient. Lol, pyro levelling
    Dots - Briarcliff

Rift Disciple

Oh boy it's the weekly something's wrong with fireball thread.

Don't think of it as fireball getting nerfed during leveling. It's just buffed at the early levels so that a level 1 doesn't rely on a spamming a 2.5 second spell with no other tools.

Soulwalker

The thing that IS unfair, though, is that fireball have the SP bonus of a 2 sec casting spell while it is a 2.5 sec casting spell. Void bolt on the other hand is a 2 sec casting spell with a SP bonus of a 2 sec casting spell. Which means that when you lower cast time of void bolt to 1.5 sec you have boosted its SP coeff efficiency by 33%. With fireball all you are doing by putting 5 points in lowered casting time is just putting the SP coeff of fireball where it should have been in the starting point if there wasn't a difference between fireball and basically every other spell in the game.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Casperr View Post
    The thing that IS unfair, though, is that fireball have the SP bonus of a 2 sec casting spell while it is a 2.5 sec casting spell. Void bolt on the other hand is a 2 sec casting spell with a SP bonus of a 2 sec casting spell. Which means that when you lower cast time of void bolt to 1.5 sec you have boosted its SP coeff efficiency by 33%. With fireball all you are doing by putting 5 points in lowered casting time is just putting the SP coeff of fireball where it should have been in the starting point if there wasn't a difference between fireball and basically every other spell in the game.
    It's not necessarly unfair. The other mechanics of the pyromancer need to be taken into account. You can't just look at a 1.5sec Void Bolt and 2sec Fire Ball in a vacuum and say Void Bolt is better. Fully tallented VB refreshes Life Leach. Fully Talented FB procs Pyro armor, Wild Fire, and Combust. It gains benefits from Burning Bright, while VB gains no benifit from Neddra's Influence.

You have to look at the soul as a whole, and how that soul synergizes with other souls to make a comparison. Then you need to look at an ability within your build and ask the question, "Do I have a reason to use this spell regularly?"

if fireball was 2 secs cast time (base) this would be a good dps boost.

as it would make 1.6 and make it on par with voidbolt

Shadowlander

This may sound stupid... but I suddenly wonder if one intentionally keeps fireball to a low rank for the 2s base cast time, would it be a net increase in dps compared to full rank fireball, assuming one has a very high spell power to make the reduced base damage less significant?

Plane Touched

Why do people use imageshack?
    There are so many hosting sites that are far better.
    Argizeos - Rank 52 - Wolfsbane

RIP Chlorolock

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Eleinia View Post
    This may sound stupid... but I suddenly wonder if one intentionally keeps fireball to a low rank for the 2s base cast time, would it be a net increase in dps compared to full rank fireball, assuming one has a very high spell power to make the reduced base damage less significant?
    Yep. Too bad we don't get a choice.

+ Reply to Thread