+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Everyone says you need 5 hands to play mage

Telaran

Default Everyone says you need 5 hands to play mage

Would this make it any easier? Obviously the mouse hand will be able to click on things while the thumb pushes the programmed buttons and your left hand moves and pushes the other buttons?

http://store.razerzone.com/store/raz...oryId.37466100

Telaran

I don't think my thumb has the dexterity to fly through buttons with any precision. Looks like your grip on the mouse would change by moving from 1 to 12.

I move my steelseries mouse over to the left side and use it's side buttons for alt/cntl/shft. I move and click interact with the left and pew pew with the right, which is always resting on the keypad. With toggle combos, thats upward of 60 keys in an area smaller than a baseball.

I'm lefthanded and usually tend to do things different than most.

I only need 4 hands cause i am so 1337, n stuff.

I can't imagine using a mouse like that.. I also can't imagine spending $130 on a mouse.. ever.

i have that mouse yet i still keybind full 4bars. i can only use the mouse for 1 bar. make the math.
    used to be a proud member of Rift Runners till madness took over.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentr View Post
    i have that mouse yet i still keybind full 4bars. i can only use the mouse for 1 bar. make the math.
    You could technically keybind every ability you had with that mouse + Shift + Alt + Ctrl

I can't use a mouse like that since I'm 6'4" with hands like a giant. I do know some guildies that do everything with their mouse though. If you have small hands, more power to ya.

I personally get every keybind I need out of 1-2-3-4-5-R-T-F-G + Alt and Shift modifiers. I don't know of any spec you can't play with 27 keybinds.
    Lee Trevino, on why he has never had a golf coach: "When I find one who can beat me, I'll listen."

Rift Disciple

I use the Naga mouse which is pretty similar. Also sports a 1-12 keypad.
    It's very very handy, very easy to use, infact it makes playing without it a chore.
    I use my keyboard for little more than moving, but while it makes things easier there's no reason to spend so much on a mouse, and you can find the regular Naga(the things that make this mouse "Epic" are useless in a MMO anyway, so the standard model is just fine) for around 60$ which is a great price. I've had mine for around a year now and I'm super happy with it.

Champion

Its really simple and all you need are Two hands.

Left hand = Keyboard
    Right Hand = Mouse.

Left hand you focus on the Keys 1-8.
    Change your UI to have 3 horizontal UI action/hot bars.
    Make row 1 use keys 1-=
    Make row 2 use keys ctrl 1-=
    Make row 3 use keys alt 1-=

Now you have effectively tripled the number of abilities you can use at any given time, just by modifying wheather the shift or the alt are pressed or not.\

On your right hand, which is using the mouse, I tend to bind the - = to my left hand buttons on the mouse. (note as a dominator, I ALWAYS bind the squirrel to the = (the furtherst to the right) which is often the least used one, but the most critically used ability when its needed. Thus simply clicking with my thumb and BAM squirrelled.

I then bind 9 and 0 to my mouse wheel (MY mouse wheel goes left and right, not just rolls, so click left = 9, click right = 0.

Thus I can also modifying the - = on my mouse, as well as the 9 and the 0 (all on the mouse) by simply using CTRL or Alt to change those to. If I had more buttons I'd put 7 and 8 on the mouse to, as those can be hard to hit while running, jumping, strafing circling ect. But thats why I don't put my most USED spells/abiliites on 7 and 8, I often put those lesser used ones that are less important on those, like say... Buffs, or in the case of my Dominator, Mana Wrench/Thunder Blast.

My most used abilities or at least the ones I HAve to have on the enemy at the beginning of the fight, are always 1 2 and 3. As a Dom I always have stormshackle as #3, I don't know why, but 3 and Stormshackle are a match made in hell/heaven/paradise.

Rift Master

I'm so freaking jealous of you long fingered ppl when I game.
    My stubs can barely reach ctrl-f, and it's nearly impossible to hit number keys.
    When I did do some hotkeying I had to put it on the 10-key because it was reachable and I do 10-key by-touch and only use wasd for movement.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Fernt View Post
    I'm so freaking jealous of you long fingered ppl when I game.
    My stubs can barely reach ctrl-f, and it's nearly impossible to hit number keys.
    When I did do some hotkeying I had to put it on the 10-key because it was reachable and I do 10-key by-touch and only use wasd for movement.

Theres a reason we evolved toes, and A Tongue. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySight View Post
    You could technically keybind every ability you had with that mouse + Shift + Alt + Ctrl

I can't use a mouse like that since I'm 6'4" with hands like a giant. I do know some guildies that do everything with their mouse though. If you have small hands, more power to ya.

I personally get every keybind I need out of 1-2-3-4-5-R-T-F-G + Alt and Shift modifiers. I don't know of any spec you can't play with 27 keybinds.
    i use 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0,*"-" (shift, alt, ctrl variants for these) + all numlock keys + q,e,r,t,y,f,g,h,z,x,c + insert,home,pageup,pagedown,delete, end (ctrl for those too) and it's not enough still...
    used to be a proud member of Rift Runners till madness took over.

I am unsure what keys I use as rolling my face on the keyboard seems to work fine.
    -Cane
    Arcanas - Co-Leader of Purge to Win, Bloodiron Guardian PvPvE Guild.
    Hammerknell 11/11, World #5th Akylios

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanas View Post
    I am unsure what keys I use as rolling my face on the keyboard seems to work fine.
    Damn, I thought no-one had gone there yet!

My problem is that I have a very small 'little finger'. It's really hard to use it to press Alt/Shift and reach another key. It's also why I can't play guitar (and not because I'm rubbish).

I've been messing around with various alternatives, and considering how versatile the mouse and keyboard are there's a way of doing things to suit everyone. My biggest problem is that having rolled mage I need a second keyboard to fit all my abilities onto.

I'm going to re-roll warrior, bind all my abilities onto one key and use this method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zewb8PcL5cs

It's still a bit user intensive as I have to move my toon around and target stuff, but I'm sure someone will develop a third party program to sort that out soon enough.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Cmac25 View Post
    Would this make it any easier? Obviously the mouse hand will be able to click on things while the thumb pushes the programmed buttons and your left hand moves and pushes the other buttons?

http://store.razerzone.com/store/raz...oryId.37466100
    I just use my tounge

Rift Disciple

Or if you have a mouse with two of those forward/backward side buttons, you can change those into ctrl/shift modifiers using a program that intercepts keystrokes and turns them into another one: http://www.autohotkey.com/

I've currently bound mouse 4 to shift and mouse 5 (forward and backward in browsers) to those, and it makes 1-5 + modifiers much easier to use, with lesser-used stuff further down the keys. Having the most often used 15 keys available without moving your hand much on your keyboard is a boon for mages.

Wink

I have the regular wired version of the Naga and it makes a huge difference. It took a few days to get used to the layout of the 12 thumb buttons, but now I don't even think about it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast