+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need PVP Dominator tips.

Soulwalker

Default Need PVP Dominator tips.

Hi. need some tips on the Dominator build.

Been lvl 50 for 2 weeks and are on rank 4. Played alot as Cloro/lock and 51 lock and its been working real good.

And now i tryed some Dominator and i cant get it working well.

I want to go Dom/lock or Dom/cloro but i am not sure what spells to skip or use from lock or cloro.
    Plz link some of your builds... I have some ide of how i want it but I learn much from seeing how others builds are.
    I dont want to be a healer with this specc. Want to have it for when i am alone against others or in bgs to control the other teams healers and still be abel to help out with some good dps.
    Not good with words. Still hope i get some replys.

I guess that all this already is in this forum. But i am new here so i take it up again

XiL

Quote Originally Posted by Slukson View Post
    Hi. need some tips on the Dominator build.

Been lvl 50 for 2 weeks and are on rank 4. Played alot as Cloro/lock and 51 lock and its been working real good.

And now i tryed some Dominator and i cant get it working well.

I want to go Dom/lock or Dom/cloro but i am not sure what spells to skip or use from lock or cloro.
    Plz link some of your builds... I have some ide of how i want it but I learn much from seeing how others builds are.
    I dont want to be a healer with this specc. Want to have it for when i am alone against others or in bgs to control the other teams healers and still be abel to help out with some good dps.
    Not good with words. Still hope i get some replys.

I guess that all this already is in this forum. But i am new here so i take it up again
    Dom/Chloro/Warlock is what you are looking for. Get traitorous influence from Dom (this is what makes you dominate PvP) get Vitality 5/5 from Warlock and 3/3 void bolt (for the spamable macro), then put the rest in Chloro making sure you put 3/3 in Endurance. This gives you the most HP possible with the most SP possible combined with the best possible damage cooldowns (split personality + traitorous + reflection = you win)

You use 3 macros with this spec + cooldowns and situationals. 1 for heals 1 for damage on cooldowns a 1 for heal debuffs and control debuffs.
    Last edited by XiL; 07-19-2011 at 12:45 PM.
    I was banned for 5 days for triggering the chat filter. I win the internet again.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=617285&dateline=13177  10094

Telaran

Could try giving Dom/Pyro/X a try too, flicker is amazing for breaking CC's and snares (it's basically a break free every 20 seconds plus a gap opener) Plus with Dom/chloro/lock it always feels like most of my damage is from dots (except when SP is up). I tend to lean more for direct damage. You'll want either chloro or lock for the third tree for some kind of self healing though.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by XiL View Post
    Dom/Chloro/Warlock is what you are looking for. Get traitorous influence from Dom (this is what makes you dominate PvP) get Vitality 5/5 from Warlock and 3/3 void bolt (for the spamable macro), then put the rest in Chloro making sure you put 3/3 in Endurance. This gives you the most HP possible with the most SP possible combined with the best possible damage cooldowns (split personality + traitorous + reflection = you win)

You use 3 macros with this spec + cooldowns and situationals. 1 for heals 1 for damage on cooldowns a 1 for heal debuffs and control debuffs.
    Thx for the fast rply. This sounds nice will try it. I will not miss break free with this set up? Guess its not always needed to have break free when the cd is on 2 mins.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Nyvin View Post
    Could try giving Dom/Pyro/X a try too, flicker is amazing for breaking CC's and snares (it's basically a break free every 20 seconds plus a gap opener) Plus with Dom/chloro/lock it always feels like most of my damage is from dots (except when SP is up). I tend to lean more for direct damage. You'll want either chloro or lock for the third tree for some kind of self healing though.
    Thx for reply I can try it. just not sure about the pyro : / Is it much doting in Dom/chloro/lock? was thinking maybe it most was taking the heals from chloro then faster void bolts from lock then rest with doinator spells?

XiL

Thx for the fast rply. This sounds nice will try it. I will not miss break free with this set up? Guess its not always needed to have break free when the cd is on 2 mins.
    With so much HP you rarely need break free. 1 Rogue or Warrior cannot lock you down long enough to kill you. You can also precast Wild Abandon to prevent movement impairing effects. If you have multiple controls hitting you from multiple players yer not getting away with break free either.
    I was banned for 5 days for triggering the chat filter. I win the internet again.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=617285&dateline=13177  10094

I've seen a few players that can't quite let go of their pyro points trying to mix it in with dominator.

It doesn't work. I mean good idea in theory, but pyro is just not relevant in the current metagame. High cast time spell without any great amount of oomph to it. Sure you can make it workable, but how many points do you have to invest in pyro for a viable fireball? Yeah, quite a frickin' few.

Meanwhile void bolt's amazing for hardly any points investment. Lightning Strike is also a better option for the points investment, but my nuke of choice when running dominator is Pillaging Stone.

If you take XiL's advice (as much as I'm trying, I can't quite find anything wrong with it), you'll have void bolt which works fine.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

XiL

Quote Originally Posted by Corian View Post
    I've seen a few players that can't quite let go of their pyro points trying to mix it in with dominator.

It doesn't work. I mean good idea in theory, but pyro is just not relevant in the current metagame. High cast time spell without any great amount of oomph to it. Sure you can make it workable, but how many points do you have to invest in pyro for a viable fireball? Yeah, quite a frickin' few.

Meanwhile void bolt's amazing for hardly any points investment. Lightning Strike is also a better option for the points investment, but my nuke of choice when running dominator is Pillaging Stone.

If you take XiL's advice (as much as I'm trying, I can't quite find anything wrong with it), you'll have void bolt which works fine.
    I have never lost a duel or died to 1v1 using it to anything but another mage running the same spec and getting me to reflect a squirl back at myself. Its broken OP. Like sab + orb critting for almost 10k pre-nerf.
    Last edited by XiL; 07-19-2011 at 01:13 PM.

Soulwalker

Could you tell me what the macros are? Never set foot in the domtree, but i really want to learn it.

There are way too many nuances in dom to fit into a reply.

Set up a macro for casting Deny, and Reflective Command on you:
    cast @self Deny

Set up another macro to cast Deny and Reflective Command for helping raid members:
    cast mouseoverui Deny
    cast Deny

Use these skills to combat enemy dominators and dot/debuff-heavy specs. You pretty much have to know that the first thing to follow a squirrel is usually storm shackle, reflecting that back at the dom removes his ability to punish his target for running around.

Open on warriors/rogues with squirrel and shackle/edict. Trying to CC them late will be bad news. Use resource denial (Incompetence and Transference) to reduce their attack rate (the number of abilities they are limited to using per given amount of time). PVP-Built Rogues and VKs will have a cleanse or full immunity to magic handy, be ready for them to go immune to everything, and don't just allow them to park next to you. Kite while they are CCed and don't stop kiting.

Open on mages/clerics with a set of debuffs a nuke or two from your other soul. Save their silence-immunity and shackle for when they try to run or are somehow killing you. Fear/squirrel necro pets, disregard elemental pets. Cast reflective presence on YOURSELF* when mages pop IE, Litchform, Split Personality, Empowered Darkness and Heatwave on you. Not only will you mitigate most of the damage coming at you but they can kill themselves if they are not careful.
    (*Target yourself toggle on Reflective Presence.)

Split Personality should not be a mechanism for winning 1v1. If you find yourself having to use that to win against anything that is not a full-heal-mode cleric or chlorolock you are doing things wrong. Pay attention to warrior fears; they mess up SP burst damage, and cause them to fail-assist.

How to AE Dom:
    Depending on off spec drop a bunch of crap dots, radiant spores, or electrify/hypothermia into a crowd. Select a target in the middle. Shackle + TI + Mass Betrayal (if speced) your dots and other trash make it hard to cleanse off all the important resource-removal debuffs. Healers sitting in shackle+TI+betrayal damage areas are forced to heal or die and when they heal they eat another betrayal tick from themselves. Use Split personality right around this time.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Soulwalker

Say if i go with Dom/chloro/lock hows the play style? Do i dot much or is it just the void bolt i want? If its just jsut the void bolt spam do i skip nedras influense? or if i do dot up targets do i go up and get grasp? Want all i can get out from this threed.

More setups and link some builds. So fun to se how ppl have there trees in this game.

XiL

Quote Originally Posted by Hypermancer View Post
    Could you tell me what the macros are? Never set foot in the domtree, but i really want to learn it.
    You take the cooldown DPS (anything doing damage with a cooldown) and order them longest to shortest cooldown in the macro ending with Void Bolt. (then neural prod after void bolt for instant spam on the run)

Do the same for controll cooldown macro and heal cooldown macro. Order by cooldown time and end with something that has no cooldown.

That's pretty much all you can do with Mage Macro's.

XiL

Say if i go with Dom/chloro/lock hows the play style? Do i dot much or is it just the void bolt i want? If its just jsut the void bolt spam do i skip nedras influense? or if i do dot up targets do i go up and get grasp? Want all i can get out from this threed.

More setups and link some builds. So fun to se how ppl have there trees in this game.
    All you want from Warlock is 3/3 void bolt Opportunity 5/5 and 5/5 Vitality. Put 2/5 in Charge just because you need 5 to get to get to the next tier.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Hethroin View Post
    There are way too many nuances in dom to fit into a reply.

Set up a macro for casting Deny, and Reflective Command on you:
    cast @self Deny

Set up another macro to cast Deny and Reflective Command for helping raid members:
    cast mouseoverui Deny
    cast Deny

Use these skills to combat enemy dominators and dot/debuff-heavy specs. You pretty much have to know that the first thing to follow a squirrel is usually storm shackle, reflecting that back at the dom removes his ability to punish his target for running around.

Open on warriors/rogues with squirrel and shackle/edict. Trying to CC them late will be bad news. Use resource denial (Incompetence and Transference) to reduce their attack rate (the number of abilities they are limited to using per given amount of time). PVP-Built Rogues and VKs will have a cleanse or full immunity to magic handy, be ready for them to go immune to everything, and don't just allow them to park next to you. Kite while they are CCed and don't stop kiting.

Open on mages/clerics with a set of debuffs a nuke or two from your other soul. Save their silence-immunity and shackle for when they try to run or are somehow killing you. Fear/squirrel necro pets, disregard elemental pets. Cast reflective presence on YOURSELF* when mages pop IE, Litchform, Split Personality, Empowered Darkness and Heatwave on you. Not only will you mitigate most of the damage coming at you but they can kill themselves if they are not careful.
    (*Target yourself toggle on Reflective Presence.)

Split Personality should not be a mechanism for winning 1v1. If you find yourself having to use that to win against anything that is not a full-heal-mode cleric or chlorolock you are doing things wrong. Pay attention to warrior fears; they mess up SP burst damage, and cause them to fail-assist.

How to AE Dom:
    Depending on off spec drop a bunch of crap dots, radiant spores, or electrify/hypothermia into a crowd. Select a target in the middle. Shackle + TI + Mass Betrayal (if speced) your dots and other trash make it hard to cleanse off all the important resource-removal debuffs. Healers sitting in shackle+TI+betrayal damage areas are forced to heal or die and when they heal they eat another betrayal tick from themselves. Use Split personality right around this time.
    Ty for this info

Soulwalker

All you want from Warlock is 3/3 void bolt Opportunity 5/5 and 5/5 Vitality. Put 2/5 in Charge just because you need 5 to get to get to the next tier.
    Nice to know. Always been thinking about how many points i want to use in lock. Thx

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast