3.0 - So… What do I do with all these Abilities..? O.o
    3.1 - How to Spec an Archon
    3.2 - Archon Rotation
    3.3 - Maximizing Your Archon DPS
    4.0 - Situational Ability Uses
    5.0 - Helpful Macros
    6.0 - Conclusion

0.0 -Introduction:

Firstly, let me introduce myself, I guess. I am Livandria of the guild <Scrubs with Luffas> from the, at present, Faemist server. I am the guild Archon for every raid and I pretty much built my character around being an Archon. So, with the introduction portion of this out of the way, let’s get started on this guide!

1.0 - What is an Archon?

First, and foremost, an Archon is, for lack of a better word, a masochist, in a sense. What the Archon does is it reduces its own capabilities in battle, so its allies will be stronger. The Archon is the embodiment of the saying “The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few”. But, the technical definition of an Archon is a mage who debuffs themselves to buff their fellow raid/party members. Whether it be through reducing the mages own intellect and wisdom to give others increased intellect and wisdom, or be it the mage increasing their own cast time to decrease the cast time of others. We are, in every sense, a buff-bot. We are the damage dealing second cousins of the bard.

1.1 - To Archon or to not to Archon?:

Why are you here looking at this guide? Do you enjoy playing Archon and would like to further your knowledge of the class (make sure you’re playing everything correctly)? Or, are you in the situation of some players in which your guilds current Archon has dropped and you have been forced into the role of an Archon to replace him? If you are in the latter, you have my sincerest condolences and I hope someone is found to take the Archon role back, for the sake of your enjoyment. But, for those in the former, myself included, the question remains; To Archon or to not to Archon? Let us discuss what an Archon actually brings to the table and the abilities the Archon uses to make it an essential, single role, raid spot that no raid should ever go without.

2.0 - The Abilities of the Archon:

2.1 - Debuff Spells Provided:

Crumbling Resistance - Erodes the magical defenses of the enemy, increasing the magical damage they take by 7% for 5 minutes, and increasing the Mage's Life, Death and Elemental resistances by 35 for 5 minutes.

Ashen Defense - Drains the defenses of the enemy, increasing the Physical damage they take by 5% and increasing the caster's armor value by 604.

Lingering Dust - Reduces the melee and casting speed of the enemy by 25% for 20 seconds, and increases the melee and casting speed of the Mage by 10% for 5 minutes.

Power Drain - Reduces the enemy's damage by 10%, and increases the Mage's damage by 10%. Consumes Charge while active. Charge cannot be gained while active. Does not trigger a global cooldown.

Waning Power - Drains the strength from the enemy, reducing their attack power and spell power by 5% and increasing the Mage's spell power by 10% for 60 seconds. 3 minute cooldown.

Flowing Sand - Drains the movement speed from the enemy, reducing their movement speed by 50% and increasing the movement speed of the Mage by 25% for 15 seconds.

2.2 - Buff Spells Provided:

Vitality of Stone - Reduces the Mage's Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence and Wisdom by 45, and increases the Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence and Wisdom of group and raid members within 20 meters by 40. Lasts 5 minutes.

Tempered Armor - Reduces the Mage's armor value by 504 and increases the armor value of group and raid members within 20 meters by 504. Lasts 5 minutes.

Arcane Aegis - Reduces the Mage's Life, Death and Elemental resistances by 30, and increases the Life, Death and Elemental resistances of group and raid members within 20 meters by 30. Lasts 5 minutes.

Shared Vigor - Reduces the Mage's Endurance by 50 and increases the Endurance of group members within 20 meters by 40. Lasts 5 minutes.

Burning Purpose - Reduces the Mage's melee and casting speed by 10%, and increases the melee and casting speed of group and raid members within 20 meters by 10%. Deals 39 to 42 Fire damage to the enemy when the Mage casts a Debuff on them. Lasts 5 minutes. Damage is not triggered by Polymorph, Confuse, Root or Fear abilities. Damage cannot occur more than once every 1.5 seconds.

Earthen Barrage - Hurls earthen missiles at the enemy, dealing 143 to 147 Earth damage. Group and raid members within 35 meters have their melee and spell critical hit chance increased by 5% for 15 seconds. 15 second Cooldown.

Volcanic Bomb
    Volcanic Bomb - Launches an explosive volcanic stone at the enemy, causing 92 to 96 Earth damage instantly and 82 Fire damage over 6 seconds. Allies within 35 meters of the Mage have their damage increased by 5% for 10 seconds. 15 second Cooldown

Surging Flare - Throws a bolt of fire at the enemy, causing 187 to 192 Fire damage. Allies within 35 meters have the casting time of their spells reduced by 5% for 6 seconds. 10 second Cooldown.

Flaring Power - Increase the Attack Power and Spell Power of all raid and party members by 15% for up to 20 seconds. Consumes Charge while active. Affected allies become Battle Weary and cannot benefit from Call to Arms or Flaring Power again for 5 minutes.

2.3 - Debuff Counter/Damage and Utility Abilities:

Searing Vitality - Boils the enemy's blood, causing 154 Fire damage over 10 seconds. Places a stack of Searing Vitality on the Mage each second increasing their Endurance by 10 per stack. Max 5 stacks. 5 minute buff duration.

Pillaging Stone - Hurls a large stone missile at the enemy, causing 117 to 121 Earth damage and reducing their Strength, Dexterity, Wisdom and Intelligence by 50. Places a stack of Pillaging Stone on the Mage, increasing their Strength, Dexterity, Wisdom and Intelligence by 8 per stack for 5 minutes. Max 5 stacks.

Leeching Flames - Engulfs the enemy in flames, dealing 10% of the Mage's maximum Mana in Fire damage over 12 seconds. Returns 10% of the Mage's maximum Mana over 12 seconds. 30 second Cooldown.

Mental Flare – Returns 30% of the Mage's maximum mana over 10 seconds. 2 minute Cooldown.

Consuming Flames - Shields an ally with flames for up to 30 seconds, absorbing up to 764 damage. 30 second Cooldown.

Lava Field - Calls magma from the earth, burning up to 10 enemies within the affected area for 155 Fire damage over 6 seconds. Allies within the lava field receive a stack of the Lava Field buff each second, which increases the effect of the next healing spell to land on them by 1% per stack. Max 5 stacks. Each incoming healing spell will remove a stack of the buff. 1 minute 30 second Cooldown.

Rock Slide - Channels a hail of rock onto the enemy, dealing 203 to 208 Earth damage over 6 seconds. Places a stack of Rock Slide on the Mage each second, increasing their Intelligence by 10 per stack. Max 6 stacks. Consumes Charge while channeled.

3.0 - So… What do I do with all these Abilities..? O.o

You use them in a specific order! Duh! But, in all seriousness, your job is to keep these abilities up at all times. The Debuff-Buff abilities you use on yourself (Vitality of Stone, Tempered Armor, Arcane Aegis, Shared Vigor, and Burning Purpose) need to be kept up at all times. They only need to be refreshed every 5 minutes and do not have a cast time, so all you need to do is refresh the buffs when the first one reaches 2 seconds, each will follow suit and they will remain a second apart, making it easy to track of them and reapply when necessary.

Your next responsibility to keep up your short duration cast buffs that you gain through using your damaging spells (Earthen Barrage, Volcanic Bomb, and Surging Flare.). The best method for keeping these buffs up is by using the following macro:

#show Surging Flare
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Earthen Barrage
    cast Volcanic Bomb
    cast Surging Flare
    cast Leeching Flames
    cast Pillaging stone

You may omit Leeching Flames if you wish, but I use it as part of my macro to help maximize my DPS.

Your final job as an Archon is raid utility. This is done by using abilities that Restore Mana (Mental Flare), Increase the Damage of the Raid/Group (Flaring Power), and help others with survivability through decreasing boss damage or helping with healing (Waning Power, power Drain, and Lava Field)

3.1 - How to Spec an Archon:

Archon is a soul that can be partnered with another rather easily, given that 0 points in the soul provides 40 Spell Power by offering an increase of 40 Intellect and 40 Wisdom. But, to be a “buff-bot” Archon a minimum of 51 points in required in the Archon tree for Burning Purpose, any fewer points and the raid space just is not worth it. Even in situations such as Gilded Prophecy, an Archon brings far more to the table than a Chloromancer-Archon hybrid could, in terms of damage/healing increases.

So, by now you’re probably asking yourself: “Well, what spec would I use then?” And there are two simple answers to that question, depending on the encounter. I carry two Archon specs with me to every raid, so I may switch specs at will to help my Raid/Group out to the best of my ability.

51 Archon/6 Pyromancer/9 Dominator: This spec is designed to get the most bangs for your buck. This build is focused on keeping your buffs and debuffs up at all times, while still being able to pull respectable DPS.

51 Archon/11 Dominator/4 Pyromancer: This spec is designed to make one fight a hell of a lot easier, and that fight is Herald Gaurath. With this spec, you can effectively shut down all of Heralds adds abilities, aside from the Ancient Defilers Bolt of Suffering, wish a single interrupter could likely handle. This is done by using the ability Arresting Presence, from the Dominator Tree. My recommended method to ensure that every Defiling Storm is interrupted is that you do two simple things. First you toggle on your Arresting Presence during your GCD, since it is off the global Cooldown, after the adds spawn. Then you simply toggle it off, cast one spell from your macro rotation, and then toggle it back on during the GCD once more. Defiling storm has a rough 2.5 second cast and will always be interrupted by your Arresting Presence, since it’ll be activated every 1.5-2 seconds, during the GCD. By casting a spell you ensure you never run out of charge, meaning you can keep them silenced indefinitely. Also, reason for the toggling is that they often are hit by the first, possibly second, hits of silence and then resist it, making it possible for them to cast; the toggle method reduces the chances of that happening to zero.

3.2 - Archon Rotation:

The rotation, I personally use is as follows:

I put up all of my Debuff-Buff abilities, make sure they are refreshed before the fight starts, and then proceed into my rotation.

Apply Ashen Defense > Apply Crumbling Resistance > Apply Lingering Dust > Apply Searing Vitality (only time until buff is about to fall off) > Begin hitting my macro until searing vitality is about to fall off then > Channel Rock Slide to 6 stacks (have 70+ focus)> continue macro spamming until lingering dust is about to fall off > Refresh Lingering Dust and keep it up.

The reason for only using Searing vitality once per 5 minutes if because the spell isn’t actually worth the GCD, other than for the buff, results in a 20 or so DPS loss.

The Entire rotation revolves around using your macro and keeping Lingering Dust on the Boss at all times, it’s that simple. The only time you deviate from this is to reapply Searing Vitality when it is about to fall off; reapply Rock Slide because it is about to fall off; or to use Mental Flare on a cleric in dire straits.
    Harbinger Livandira, Hand of the Arcane

Main Spec Arbiter of <Jynxed>
    2/4 BoB 4/4 Mini Bosses Down

Rift Disciple

Default continued

3.3 - Maximizing Your Archon DPS:

Use spec one, apply Flame Armor and Ground of Power, and you’re golden. Also, only use Searing Vitality at the beginning of your rotation and then again when the buff is about to fall off, it’s about a 20 DPS gain.

Another way to maximize your DPS is to know the boss fights. Like how I use Power Drain every time I have charge on bosses such as Duke, Johlen, Oracle, Greenscale, War master, Plutonus, and Alsbeth. These bosses have nothing I need to really counter with Power Drain, so I just use it as a DPS increase. Always remember to save enough charge for Flaring Power for when the need comes, so I always toggle off Power Drain at about 20 Charge and then retoggle it when I hit 100 charge.

Remember to sit in your Ground of Power when you can, also to use Burning Shield as a method to mitigate damage. Some people might say “But it gives you an instant cast ground spell! Wouldn’t that be a waste?” Actually, it wouldn’t be. An instant cast is technically the exact same as a 1.5 second cast spell, since the 1.5 second GCD is invoked no matter which you do. Do casting Ground of Power is the exact same as using Ground of Power while under the effect of Burning Shield.

4.0 - Situational Ability Uses:

Certain abilities should be saved for moments when the most benefit can be made out of them, examples of this are; Flaring Power, Lava Field, and Power Drain.

Flaring Power can only be used once every 5 minutes, so before using it make sure that certain elements will play into your favor. Firstly; make sure that you have over 30 focus when you cast Flaring Power and refrain from using focus consuming abilities while Flaring Power is up (i.e. Power Drain and Rock Slide.), Secondly; that you have a decent period of time to burn the boss during Flaring Powers duration, and Finally; make sure, right up there with having charge, that you do NOT die, otherwise your burn ability went to waste and you're now debuffed for 5 minutes, good job. >.>

Lava Field should be saved for periods of time when the entire Raid/Party is grouped up and is taking a large amount of damage. (Examples being the Air Phase in the Uruluuk Encounter, and the Bubble phase in the Lord Greenscale fight, to name a few.)

Power Drain can be used as a method to boost DPS, but it should more regularly be saved to Debuff the boss to help reduce incoming damage. (Times for this would be the Plutonus fight in RoS, since he hits the tank like a truck from time to time, and the Prince Hylas fight in GSB to help mitigate the damage of the Soul Fracture ability.)

5.0 - Helpful Macros:

DPS Rotation Macro:

#show Surging Flare
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Earthen Barrage
    cast Volcanic Bomb
    cast Surging Flare
    cast Leeching Flames
    cast Pillaging stone

Mouse over Mana Macro:

#show Mental Flare
    Raid Enjoy your mana! ^_^ Two minutes till the next one!
    cast @mouseover Mental Flare

Herald Silence Macro:

#show Arresting Presence
    tar Ancient Defiler
    cast Arresting Apresence

Consuming Flames Macro:
    #show consuming Flames
    cast @mouseover Consuming flames

Deny Macro:
    #show Deny
    cast @mouseover Deny

6.0 - Conclusion:

Well, that’s it for me. I apologize if I left anything out of this guide, I truly hope I didn’t but you never know. I hope I about summed up how to play an Archon, and how and I truly hope that you enjoyed reading this! Thanks for reading!

-Livandria of Faemist’s <Scrubs with Luffas>
    Last edited by Livandria; 07-19-2011 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Fixing some issues and editing word flow...

What's your thought on taking a build that give you some damage resists for fights like Prince Hylias, since archons become one of the softest characters in the raid?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...ResRfiqkrz.Mcz

Or a build with Warlord to keep high amounts of charge still up to keep power drain up more often?

Or a build with More Warlock for more Health? (see first build reason)

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...0V.AResRfiqkrz
    (Bswish Mage) (Zairnix Rouge) (Fairen Cleric) S:Laethys
    Pre-SL: Pre-T3 Conq, IF/PF Cleared TDQ: 4/4 FT: 4/4 EE 5/5 HM 1/4 GA 2/4

Rift Disciple

Default Gear Pedendant

Quote Originally Posted by bswish View Post
    What's your thought on taking a build that give you some damage resists for fights like Prince Hylias, since archons become one of the softest characters in the raid?

Or a build with Warlord to keep high amounts of charge still up to keep power drain up more often?

Or a build with More Warlock for more Health? (see first build reason)

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...0V.AResRfiqkrz
    Well, for the first build I personally say you can/should only use that build if you're undergeared and such.

The second build is one that I ran a while back for the oppertunity proc, but pyro helped out more. But on the subject of charge... It technically won't make power drain/flaring power last longer, you'll get up to 100 faster, but it won't last longer. Technically you could if you toggle power drain on and off, but it would probably only be a minor increase.

As for the the last build... the oppertunity proc is worthless compared to fire, and the Elementalist damage reduction is actually more valuable than the 15% Health from warlock.

So, in my opinion;

First spec if you're undergeared.
    Second spec is not worth it.
    Third spec is not worth it either.

Thanks for the questions! ^_^

-Liv

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Livandria View Post
    Well, for the first build I personally say you can/should only use that build if you're undergeared and such.

The second build is one that I ran a while back for the oppertunity proc, but pyro helped out more. But on the subject of charge... It technically won't make power drain/flaring power last longer, you'll get up to 100 faster, but it won't last longer. Technically you could if you toggle power drain on and off, but it would probably only be a minor increase.

As for the the last build... the oppertunity proc is worthless compared to fire, and the Elementalist damage reduction is actually more valuable than the 15% Health from warlock.

So, in my opinion;

First spec if you're undergeared.
    Second spec is not worth it.
    Third spec is not worth it either.

Thanks for the questions! ^_^

-Liv
    Opportunity procs faster than BP does. So you lose DPS with any build with Opportunity in it. I swear I have to say that in every Archon thread >_<

There's a heap of these Archon guides floating around on guild forums (some of them have died out now) and this guide doesn't say all that much different... However(!) it is nicely formatted, very clear and clears up many questions new players may want to know so all in all a good job.

That said, I strongly disagree with your builds being useful for players who need to read this guide I.e. first time Archons. They need the stock standard 5 warlock/10 elemental build to keep themselves and the raid alive. The charge boost is also good for Hylas where newer players can find themselves charge draining for dps and then going "Oh ****" on the fracture. The other aspect of the build I disagree with is getting Arresting presence. It doesn't work on bosses and you only Archon to raid soooo what's the point? There will be a multitude of tanks/dps that can silence the trash on the way to the bosses so there's no point putting a point in this skill as an Archon. If you're in a guild with no interrupts/silences maybe give them a few pointers and take it as a precaution, but this is really not your job.

Also I think as it currently stands http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...ResRfiqkrz.x0z is the highest parsing practical build? Correct me if I'm wrong here other Archons I haven't tested that vs chloro yet.
    Last edited by woopedazz; 07-19-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by woopedazz View Post
    Opportunity procs faster than BP does. So you lose DPS with any build with Opportunity in it. I swear I have to say that in every Archon thread >_<

There's a heap of these Archon guides floating around on guild forums (some of them have died out now) and this guide doesn't say all that much different... However(!) it is nicely formatted, very clear and clears up many questions new players may want to know so all in all a good job.

That said, I strongly disagree with your builds being useful for players who need to read this guide I.e. first time Archons. They need the stock standard 5 warlock/10 elemental build to keep themselves and the raid alive. The charge boost is also good for Hylas where newer players can find themselves charge draining for dps and then going "Oh ****" on the fracture. The other aspect of the build I disagree with is getting Arresting presence. It doesn't work on bosses and you only Archon to raid soooo what's the point? There will be a multitude of tanks/dps that can silence the trash on the way to the bosses so there's no point putting a point in this skill as an Archon. If you're in a guild with no interrupts/silences maybe give them a few pointers and take it as a precaution, but this is really not your job.

Also I think as it currently stands http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...ResRfiqkrz.x0z is the highest parsing practical build? Correct me if I'm wrong here other Archons I haven't tested that vs chloro yet.
    I do agree with you on the grounds that a fresh 50 Archon should spec for more survivability, but I honestly refuse to believe the 5 points in warlock are worth it for more charge. If you're new to the spec, you should NOT be taking risks to maximize your DPS. I didn't start Power Drain cycling until I was 100% confident with my spec, and that was after about 3 or 4 weeks of raiding. If you're new to the spec and you don't understand the limits of the spec, you should only be doing the bare minimum of what is required of you until you're in a position that all boss mechanics that need your attention are second nature to you.

Also, I don't agree with you saying that Arresting Presence is a waste. I am NOT using it on the boss, it is used on Heralds adds which are not immune to silence, and can be effectively shut down by me toggling an ability on and off every other cast. An archon is going to, without a doubt, pull less DPS than any other DPS in the raid (unless you include bards, which I don't.), so why should we reduce the overall DPS of others when we ourselves could cover the job of silencing the adds? My job is to be raid support, in my book that means that I make live easier for the rest of the raid, and if that means that a DPS can say "Hey look! Defiling storm is being cast... but I know our archon will get it, so I won't bother wasting the GCD" then I am happy I could help.

And, finally, with the spec you linked as the highest archon DPS spec, could you maybe direct me to somewhere I could see some proof that it is the highest DPS spec? I’m not calling you out and saying “OMG, rage, you’re lying grr!” I’m saying that I have never seen that build mentioned anywhere before and I’m a little curious how the rotation operates.

Well, nonetheless, thanks for the comment, it’s good to know that someone is reading and I always enjoy intelligent discussion without people just coming and flaming.

-Liv

P.S. - Main reason I wrote this was because I couldn't, on the forums, find a guide that was specifically designed for Archon Raid. Bluedots post does cover every mage soul, but it's a general guide that doesn't dig to deep into what an Archon is. I also know that there is a guild out there, cannot remember for the life of me who it is by, but it took some searching on Google to find. I just wanted a decent source of information to be readily avaliable on the forums itself for Archon.

Rift Master

Nice effort post. I would definitely recommend the Elementalist Archon for any raid progression, the high DPS spec is good for stuff on farm.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Mezkh View Post
    Nice effort post. I would definitely recommend the Elementalist Archon for any raid progression, the high DPS spec is good for stuff on farm.

Alright, really? I want to see a guide or something, because I just tested the 51 Archon/9 Ele/6 SC spec against my Pyro one on a dummy with nothing but default Archon buffs, no Flaring Power, no Power Drain, no witchstones, nothing extra except my Martyr's Sourcestone, which I blew every CD in both specs.

My Sc/Ele Archon spec ended at a total of 752 DPS with 223588 Damage done, parse lasted 4 minutes and 57 seconds. I sort of guessed my way through the rotation, used BS to get 5 stacks so I'd be sitting at 100% crit and then used Icicle, rinse repeat.

My Pyro Archon spec ended at a total of 780 DPS with 227902 Damage done, parse lasted 4 minutes and 52 seconds. I have that build down, so that might make up for some difference..

But, please, if someone could show me the correct rotation for the SC/Ele Archon spec, that would be awesome. Because, as far as I am convinced, I'm still sticking with my 51 Archon/6 Pyro/9 Dom spec.

Thanks again for the reading all.

-Liv

The 3 buff spells (Earthen Barrage, Surging Flare, Volcanic Bomb) all have shorter durations then cooldowns that means if you proc Opportunity before casting one you have actually increased the total time in the fight in which that buff is active. Increasing a buff up time is typically a good thing for a support spec.
    Not to mention the same 3 buff spells do not proc Burning Purpose. The only time you lose a BP proc is if you Opportunity a Pillaging Stone, which makes up roughly half of your casts.

I honestly haven't done the math but I assume the additional buff up time is better then the missed BP procs.

To OP: Nice clean guide!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    The 3 buff spells (Earthen Barrage, Surging Flare, Volcanic Bomb) all have shorter durations then cooldowns that means if you proc Opportunity before casting one you have actually increased the total time in the fight in which that buff is active. Increasing a buff up time is typically a good thing for a support spec.
    Not to mention the same 3 buff spells do not proc Burning Purpose. The only time you lose a BP proc is if you Opportunity a Pillaging Stone, which makes up roughly half of your casts.

I honestly haven't done the math but I assume the additional buff up time is better then the missed BP procs.

Wow, it's an honor to have you post in my thread, to be honest. I've read a lot of your stuff Bluedot. Thank you so much lol

-Liv

Oh! Also, bluedot! What is your opinion on the best Archon DPS spec? And, if it is the SC/Ele one, can you explain a rotation please? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Livandria; 07-19-2011 at 09:55 PM.

My Sc/Ele Archon spec ended at a total of 752 DPS
    Sc/Ele Archon spec

Your what ?

What is your opinion on the best Archon DPS spec?
    Archon DPS spec ? Since when does that exist ? You go 51 pt archon and that's pretty much it lol. Anything else won't be tolerated in a raid, and will be subpar to anything in a 5/10 man...
    Last edited by deveilblad; 07-19-2011 at 10:16 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by deveilblad View Post
    Your what ?

Archon DPS spec ? Since when does that exist ? You go 51 pt archon and that's pretty much it lol. Anything else won't be tolerated in a raid, and will be subpar to anything in a 5/10 man...
    lol, nice try there ;) We were talking about the spec that pulls the most DPS while still keeping the buffs up. If you had read the previous posts, you'd have known that. But, since you read nothing but the last post or looked for something to criticize, I can only assume that you're here in an attempt to incite unrest. As I said, nice try, but nope. ^_^

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by bluedot View Post

Nah Blue it's a DPS loss. It's been parsed by me and others over the months and it is always a dps loss to go Opportunity and I wouldn't think it would up raid dps by anything at all.
    Last edited by woopedazz; 07-19-2011 at 10:26 PM.

lol, nice try there ;) We were talking about the spec that pulls the most DPS while still keeping the buffs up. If you had read the previous posts, you'd have known that. But, since you read nothing but the last post or looked for something to criticize, I can only assume that you're here in an attempt to incite unrest. As I said, nice try, but nope. ^_^
    Still does not tell me what's up with a SC/Ele archon spec ? can I get some sort of link to a build for that ? and if it's http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...ResRfiqkrz.x0z , that does not want to load on anything, so sorry for asking.... And I read all the replies, not all of your guide, but the replies, I did...
    Last edited by deveilblad; 07-19-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Champion

I do agree with you on the grounds that a fresh 50 Archon should spec for more survivability, but I honestly refuse to believe the 5 points in warlock are worth it for more charge. If you're new to the spec, you should NOT be taking risks to maximize your DPS. I didn't start Power Drain cycling until I was 100% confident with my spec, and that was after about 3 or 4 weeks of raiding. If you're new to the spec and you don't understand the limits of the spec, you should only be doing the bare minimum of what is required of you until you're in a position that all boss mechanics that need your attention are second nature to you.
    The reason for more charge isn't to increase Archon DPS, but to take the strain off of poorly geared tanks/healers with more Power Drain debuff uptime, not buff uptime. Power Drain is arguably our most important skill and should be the first thing an Archon learns to use properly (in order to reduce incoming raid damage).

Also, I don't agree with you saying that Arresting Presence is a waste. I am NOT using it on the boss, it is used on Heralds adds which are not immune to silence, and can be effectively shut down by me toggling an ability on and off every other cast. An archon is going to, without a doubt, pull less DPS than any other DPS in the raid (unless you include bards, which I don't.), so why should we reduce the overall DPS of others when we ourselves could cover the job of silencing the adds? My job is to be raid support, in my book that means that I make live easier for the rest of the raid, and if that means that a DPS can say "Hey look! Defiling storm is being cast... but I know our archon will get it, so I won't bother wasting the GCD" then I am happy I could help.
    Fair enough.

And, finally, with the spec you linked as the highest archon DPS spec, could you maybe direct me to somewhere I could see some proof that it is the highest DPS spec? I’m not calling you out and saying “OMG, rage, you’re lying grr!” I’m saying that I have never seen that build mentioned anywhere before and I’m a little curious how the rotation operates.
    Burning Purpose is our main dps. It procs when a debuff is placed on the target. Building storm is why you go 6 points into SC and when it is up every spell you cast puts a debuff stack on the target. I.e. your surging flare et al will all be procing BP instead of just the PS spam. I guess I could parse it later on and post a parse, but my gear isn't that great as I've moved to a less progressed guild now. I think I should be able to hit 1k with 1100SP.

Well, nonetheless, thanks for the comment, it’s good to know that someone is reading and I always enjoy intelligent discussion without people just coming and flaming.

-Liv

P.S. - Main reason I wrote this was because I couldn't, on the forums, find a guide that was specifically designed for Archon Raid. Bluedots post does cover every mage soul, but it's a general guide that doesn't dig to deep into what an Archon is. I also know that there is a guild out there, cannot remember for the life of me who it is by, but it took some searching on Google to find. I just wanted a decent source of information to be readily avaliable on the forums itself for Archon.
    It's good that you've written the guide. Many players are interested in Archon, but don't know how to get started. Could've referenced your sources though ;)
    Last edited by woopedazz; 07-19-2011 at 10:34 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast