+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dev's update about mage dps

Default Dev's update about mage dps

Hey everyone I just wanted to pop in and fill you in on a few things quickly. Like every other patch we push to PTS it’s rarely the last iteration and the same is true of 1.4. One of the issues we’re still looking into is how effects like Whetstones and Spotter’s Orders favor certain builds/items over others. Right now these two effects alone cause a massive disparity (in some cases over 200 DPS) between dual wielding, 2-handed weapons and spell casters.
    Currently the things we’re looking at doing are:

Changing Whetstones to add to Weapon DPS instead of Weapon Damage
    Allowing Whetstones to be used on 2-handed weapons
    Adding a new temporary enchant for spell casters that is more inline with Whetstones
    Modifying Spotter’s Orders to give equal benefits for all attackers

The overall affect for these changes should be:

An increase in Mage damage at a similar rate to Warriors and Rogues
    More parity between fast and slow weapons
    More parity between dual wielding and 2 handed weapons

This certainly isn’t the only issue we’re looking into right now (e.g. we’re still looking into the benefits of Plate vs Leather for Warriors however we’re not at a point where we’re ready to discuss any changes there) we just wanted to share a bit of info for coming changes.

In other words mage dps will be balanced around a weapon enchantment. Rejoice....

Rift Master

Ya I don't really get that.

All I can imagine is that it will be purgable in pvp.

Of course that it won't last thru death and ppl will have to go thru consumables like a mad person during pve progression.

Or it will be one handed buff because my strongest weapon is my staff which btw I got because they had the OTHER enchant I had to use it on. So now I give up one enchant for another?

It will take some uber rare ingredients worse than fetish bones.

Wait I don't even have a weaponmaker alt - bet it won't be artificer made since that's the one I lvld for mage item buffs specifically.

I just don't trust them anymore I suppose to buff mages to even keel on all levels.

In the entitled part of me I say why should I HAVE to use a consumable to perform. What if I don't, am I now that bad player that gimps themself. How much will this consumable cost me in farming to afford if I can't make it.

Their concern is more about the effect warrior armor has on rogues than anything else because they are getting bilked out of gear it seems. I think clerics do that too to mages, say they need it for more stats but I guess it's not as prevalent. I don't pve raid anymore to pay attention to the trends there so I don't know how much that is affecting pvers to know if it needs to be solved on all sides. Instead they'll likely just make them a new set of plate pvp gear then they'll be even worse. They won't even have to downgrade armor to get dmg while my toon would still be in gum wrappers.

They really do scare me that they think warriors are fine and this post doesn't seem to change anything about that. Does it? I've been *****ing for a good week about this, am I going blind but I don't really see anything that says mages are now going to be in great shape. The heals are still getting dropped some, transference is still going to not cause panic, my charge was used for the silences and reflections - that wasn't edited so what state are things in. Oh and that 44 pt skill wont fit into a hybrid storm anything really.

What I did read was that I'd have more ranks to grind for pvp, blech. Always a bridesmaid never a bride because I'm not even 6.
    All those ppl that ranked together never had to fight the higher players and I somewhat regret that I did all that pve since my focus ended up staying pvp due to hating raiding because it was just like I remembered it. A bunch of smug dps obsessed players fighting over gear. I got threatened in a guild when I won a drop once and the guild leader had to tell the person to calm down. Damn, does it really go that far w/some.

I've been so mad I don't know if I can get unmad without some serious palm buttering if you have ever been there. I probably COULD play the mage without my little pet buddies but do I want to. Not like this is the last patch there will be and dominator already caught fame for being too scary. Will I get joy from it if constantly fear posting a video or a screen that I'll be nerfed - no point in playing a game if it isn't fun.

It seems that if they don't share the sentiment that all players should fight equalish then wtf am I in it for. I could go to a smaller game with a tight community and play whatever I wanted because they won't be obsessed with my dmg and will just enjoy the companionship. They won't be toads on the forums either to each other because its like a small town.
    Last edited by Fernt; 07-18-2011 at 11:25 PM.

These are pve changes, guys. And good ones. They undo most of the damage 1.3 caused and make mages competitive again.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Flaviusx View Post
    These are pve changes, guys. And good ones. They undo most of the damage 1.3 caused and make mages competitive again.
    I agree.

While I would have preferred that they increase our dps by making changes to our trees (or by changing the SP contribution of Intelligence). instead of just making us all get the enchants. I realize, however, tt would have taken too much time and effort to completely rework our trees.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

Rift Disciple

well spotters order is the biggest issue atm as dualwielding classes hit several times a sec and have lots of of cd abilities

adressing this issue this way is better for balancing than just increasing mage dmg

Quote Originally Posted by Brad1959 View Post
    (or by changing the SP contribution of Intelligence).
    That needs to happen. I don't see why Clerics get 3/4 from Wis and 1/4 from Int while we get 1/2 from both (that's not really a complaint, more "this doesn't make sense"), plus we desperately need the dps boost anyway. A switch to 3/4 from int and 1/4 from wis (which should be trivial to implement) would be a step in the right direction for giving us that boost.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Zarokima View Post
    That needs to happen. I don't see why Clerics get 3/4 from Wis and 1/4 from Int while we get 1/2 from both (that's not really a complaint, more "this doesn't make sense"), plus we desperately need the dps boost anyway. A switch to 3/4 from int and 1/4 from wis (which should be trivial to implement) would be a step in the right direction for giving us that boost.
    we get crit from int?? would be quite op if we d get 3/4
    some clerics deal more dmg with mage loot because they benfit that much from crit and have poor int values on their equip

Rift Disciple

Thank you Trion! We finally may rejoice. Pvp is fine and this will balance out pve. Thanks for listening.

aux

Drat. I hoped they'd nerf the other consumables to oblivion too. Crafting these things sucks
    I'm so BORED

Shadowlander

@fernt... Sorry I didn't read all of your post. After the deal about possibly gimping yourself by not having whetstones. I mean why should you have to be rank 6 to perform or have uber gear to be uber. It takes so long and if it doesnt well damn there is no content! They specifically say these consumables will be inline with warrior and rogue ones. These decaying runes stack with say a focus rune you have on your dagger. I'm anxious to see what they say about spotters seems how they have mentioned they are aware.

Plane Touched

Even if Trion increase our dps, we will still die in 3-4 seconds, because of the warrior and rogue burst damage..
    How many spells can you cast in 3-4 seconds? Only one FIREBALL.. That does **** load of damage..

This increase is not going to help mage, unless they change all spell cast time to 0.5 so we can at least bring down warrior to 10% of their hp in 3-4 seconds aswell.. Then i will say this game is balanced...

A consumable + a warrior buff. Nice buff, thanks.

im hopeing, im hopeing.

Gas
    Telaran

The damage has been done, nothing will change that fact, but good to know they are trying to amendments.

Trion should take a hard look at their decision makers for such changes. I appeal for them to be transparent and report to everyone the rationale for changes in detail, not just one liners.

For example pyros super buff then bringing it down to the ground in pvp, its an obvious decision mistake that patches are not extensively tested before release.
    Last edited by Gas; 07-19-2011 at 05:54 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast