+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Who says mages suck? Shame on you

Default Who says mages suck? Shame on you

All I hear these days is a bunch of random players complain about mages not being good anymore, threatening to quit, and threatening to boycott the class.
    Now this is just some random game from last night, we premade a scion team of 10 or so, against an almost full freeholme premade: http://imageshack.us/f/51/20110715230000.jpg/

Mage: Tudda - Chloro (977,000 heals) #1 heals.
    Mage: Floozy - Chloro (786,000 heals) #2 heals
    Mage: Selthia - not sure from another guild - (822,000 dmg) #1 dmg, #1 KB's (56/15)
    Mage: Menaace - SC/Dom (645252 dmg) #2 damage, #2 KB's (34/23) And I play support half the time!
    Mage: Croaker - not sure, from another guild - #3 KB's

Mages rock. If you aren't seeing this, it's because your raid macros get outsmarted by players better than you, not because the class is any less than amazing. With three successive nerf patches, mages in our groups still top the charts in PvP, heals damage and kills, even after 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 "killed them." It's actually quicker to adapt, than to complain with your fingers crossed. Ppl just need to l2p.
    Last edited by Menaace; 07-18-2011 at 08:20 AM.
    Menaace - P50 Mage, Annihilator, Executioner, <MMAC> Guild Leader
    Talent has no gearscore
    MMAC vs Vinco 20v20
    Menaace 1.7, 5-Spec, PvP VIDEO
    MMAC vs TFS 10v10's Episode 1 (with commentary)

Ascendant

Most people complain about burst damage and PvE DPS. Neither of those are really reflected there.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

Rift Disciple

How do these warfront stats help mages in PVE-Raids?

Quote Originally Posted by Chronicar View Post
    Most people complain about burst damage and PvE DPS. Neither of those are really reflected there.
    I don't PvE, moot point.

And actually, Sc/Dom is a burst-artist if you know how to do it right. It "1-shots" most anyone...
    Talent has no gearscore
    MMAC vs Vinco 20v20

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Menaace View Post
    I don't PvE, moot point.

And actually, Sc/Dom is a burst-artist if you know how to do it right. It "1-shots" most anyone...
    Many of the complaints from mages about mages are for PVE... In PVP I agree mages have a few soul combos that work well.

Telling people that want to PVE, PVP mages are good so L2p really isnt the right answer.
    Last edited by Hope; 07-18-2011 at 08:31 AM.

XiL

Mage macros are bad. Players who try to use a Macro to DPS as Mage are the only real problem. Mage absolutely dominate PvP and PvE. People who complain about Mage have a bad spec or a bad rotation.

You are not good because you are bad.
    I was banned for 5 days for triggering the chat filter. I win the internet again.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=617285&dateline=13177  10094

Quote Originally Posted by XiL View Post
    Mage macros are bad. Players who try to use a Macro to DPS as Mage are the only real problem. Mage absolutely dominate PvP and PvE. People who complain about Mage have a bad spec or a bad rotation.

You are not good because you are bad.
    Agreed with this post.

Even though I'm not too thrilled about a carpal-tunnel inducing macrospam against an opponent who is unable adapt to my strategy, I do PvE raid rifts for purple essences. It's all hotkeys, no macros because they really dont work in this game, and I am top 1-3 dmg every time.
    Last edited by Menaace; 07-18-2011 at 08:48 AM.
    Talent has no gearscore
    MMAC vs Vinco 20v20

Champion of Telara

At some point the number of abilities you have to manage becomes too cumbersome and a macro for a standard damage rotation is a good idea. You realistically only have a spread of maybe 12-15 keys that can be reached without moving your hand off of the keyboard. IMO it's more important to stay mobile and aware of your environment than it is to hit the perfect key at the perfect time in PvP.
    Last edited by Caeus; 07-18-2011 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XiL View Post
    Players who try to DPS as Mage are the only real problem.

I am not good because I am bad.
    Fixed for you
    Last edited by GriffonHawke; 07-18-2011 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caeus View Post
    At some point the number of abilities you have to manage becomes too cumbersome and a macro for a standard damage rotation is a good idea. You realistically only have a spread of maybe 12-15 keys that can be reached without moving your hand off of the keyboard
    12-15? Oh no no no... no.

If that's true then you don't have a proper gaming keyboard and mouse, me: Razr Naga mouse + G510 Keyboard. Mouse has 12 side buttons. The 510 has 18 side buttons all can be set to operate as hotkeys. I ESDF run for more pinky keys. And alt, shift, ctrl... there's well over 100 separate hotkeys without moving your hands, look at my screenshot, I have 6 quickbars, ALL items in them are hotkeyed. I pvp like I'd play piano, from muscle memory and I'm very quick. A macro will actually slow me down.

For PvE for mages there's no macro to max DPS, and therefore requires manual operation, those who operate manually are the ones who don't complain about bad DPS on the forums. Automatic transmission is nice, but the racers all shift manually
    Last edited by Menaace; 07-18-2011 at 10:03 AM.
    Talent has no gearscore
    MMAC vs Vinco 20v20

XiL

I use 5 buttons + cooldowns (some of these can be macro'd some can't) with most Mage Specs.
    Last edited by XiL; 07-18-2011 at 10:21 AM.
    I was banned for 5 days for triggering the chat filter. I win the internet again.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=617285&dateline=13177  10094

I don't PvE, moot point.
    Well, quite a few of us mages do PvE. Just because you don't doesn't make it a moot point.

Secondly, I think were mostly fine in PvP, possibly could use a little more burst in one spec somewhere, and chloro could stand to be less squishy/have more heals on the run (would need to do this without buffing souls who only dabble in chloro), but dominator is a great.

I'd like to know what those two chloro's were running build wise, and if they were just raid healing or if they were actually able to keep someone up under a little focus fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaritor View Post
    Well, quite a few of us mages do PvE. Just because you don't doesn't make it a moot point.

Secondly, I think were mostly fine in PvP, possibly could use a little more burst in one spec somewhere, and chloro could stand to be less squishy/have more heals on the run (would need to do this without buffing souls who only dabble in chloro), but dominator is a great.

I'd like to know what those two chloro's were running build wise, and if they were just raid healing or if they were actually able to keep someone up under a little focus fire.
    Moot point to my post, there are just as many complaints about PvP if not more than there are PvE, it's just the PvE'rs don't take notice. Come and hijack my topic with their "my dps is low..." psh

I'm not sure their exact specs, but those two are the two best chloro's I've seen in Rift hands down, on all shards I've played against.
    Talent has no gearscore
    MMAC vs Vinco 20v20

Moot point to my post, there are just as many complaints about PvP if not more than there are PvE, it's just the PvE'rs don't take notice. Come and hijack my topic with their "my dps is low..." psh

I'm not sure their exact specs, but those two are the two best chloro's I've seen in Rift hands down, on all shards I've played against.
    Well, honestly no offense here, but if you don't want pve'rs coming to your thread talking about their dps, you probably shouldn't name it a very generic "Who says mages suck? Shame on you".

Putting "Who says mages suck in PvP? Shame on you" would have probably kept me out and a few other pve'rs out of the thread.

Edit:

raid macros get outsmarted by players better than you
    Mages don't have raid macro's, we can't macro all our abilities to one button (or even several buttons) like the other classes can. Raiding as a mage can be an exercise in finger gymnastics.
    Last edited by Guaritor; 07-18-2011 at 12:59 PM.

All I hear these days is a bunch of random players complain about mages not being good anymore, threatening to quit, and threatening to boycott the class.
    Now this is just some random game from last night, we premade a scion team of 10 or so, against an almost full freeholme premade: http://imageshack.us/f/51/20110715230000.jpg/

Mage: Tudda - Chloro (977,000 heals) #1 heals.
    Mage: Floozy - Chloro (786,000 heals) #2 heals
    Mage: Selthia - not sure from another guild - (822,000 dmg) #1 dmg, #1 KB's (56/15)
    Mage: Menaace - SC/Dom (645252 dmg) #2 damage, #2 KB's (34/23) And I play support half the time!
    Mage: Croaker - not sure, from another guild - #3 KB's

Mages rock. If you aren't seeing this, it's because your raid macros get outsmarted by players better than you, not because the class is any less than amazing. With three successive nerf patches, mages in our groups still top the charts in PvP, heals damage and kills, even after 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 "killed them." It's actually quicker to adapt, than to complain with your fingers crossed. Ppl just need to l2p.
    So you show a Scion screencap of you running a premade and just mashing AE to kill the other team. Must be hard to get top heals from the best AE healer in the game on a map where both sides usually have plenty of AE pressure. Also, KBs don't really mean **** because it's really easy get KBs from spreading dots or poaching others kills with instants.
    "Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions."
    Albert Einstein
    Ovgan<FUN> Sunrest

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast