+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage tank

Rift Disciple

Default Mage tank

The title is a little of a lie.

After seeing Bluedots illustrious video of using a Greater Earth Elemental to tank Foul Cascade (Kudos to you), I decided to give it a shot for myself.

After initial testing I found that the spec while great was rather unwieldy in regards to AoE threat. I tended to find that the Elemental held Single target threat, extremely well, but lacked in the AoE threat department due to its AoE taunt being on a 20 second Cd as well as only affecting 4 targets. Which can make some trash troublesome.

Most of the time I was able to heal through the damage but sometimes it was faster to just let them die and res later on.

I then though, Why not reduce the amount of AoE targets my pet may have to tank?

I have yet to test it but I think possibly throwing points into High dom might be a good idea. Granted It means your group will now need a healer. But with going so High in dom, you gain some useful CC, as well as quite possibly pulling more dps than a defensive tank in a t1.

I will try and see if I can actually test the spec tomorrow when My guildies are on. I won't bother testing with pugs, And if they decide to go balls deep, I will see how it goes in a t2.

Granted it will mean you cant lolaoe everything down anymore...

Will report back with more findings.

please don't get me wrong, but you're wasting your time. just get any other class for tank spec and you'll finish the dungeon in half time. it's not effective even to try this.
    used to be a proud member of Rift Runners till madness took over.

Rift Disciple

I see your point. But some of us are actually bored as it is. And messing around with different specs tends to lead to intense moments of laughter on vent.

Hence the "waiting for my guildies to log on"

Because,

1. Pugs are horrible 80% of the time
    2. If im gonna test ****, Im gonna do it with people I know
    3. Negativity helps no one.

Quote Originally Posted by Desidus View Post
    1. Pugs are horrible 80% of the time
    2. If im gonna test ****, Im gonna do it with people I know
    3. Negativity helps no one.
    I can't agree even more. Try it and post video

also please try with necro as well. necro pet holds single target agro very good and "soul purge" can heal your pet very well.
    Last edited by Valentr; 07-18-2011 at 03:17 AM.
    used to be a proud member of Rift Runners till madness took over.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentr View Post
    I can't agree even more. Try it and post video

also please try with necro as well. necro pet holds single target agro very good and "soul purge" can heal your pet very well.
    It's easier with elemental as your pet heal doesn't require charge, and heals for 25% of the pets hp per tick.

Honestly though I would love to see a true mage tank soul added, just as I would love to see a warrior healing soul, and bard healing buffed to be a near true healing soul.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by LatsyrcMoy View Post
    It's easier with elemental as your pet heal doesn't require charge, and heals for 25% of the pets hp per tick.

Honestly though I would love to see a true mage tank soul added, just as I would love to see a warrior healing soul, and bard healing buffed to be a near true healing soul.
    More variety would be nice but we know that won't change.

+ Reply to Thread