+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fresh-ish 50, Teir 2-ish gear, Rank 1 PvP - WL / DOM build critique

Shadowlander

Question Fresh-ish 50, Teir 2-ish gear, Rank 1 PvP - WL / DOM build critique

I've just recently hit the 50 cap in RIFT.

I've spent all my time thus far on PvE aspects of the game, only a few WF's under my belt while leveling up.

I'd like to get into the PvP aspect of the game as I'm getting burnt out on the daily PvE grinds already.

I've decided I want to try out the Dominator but I'm slightly intimidated by by all the offerings of the soul.

I've spent a lot of time reading and sifting through tons of garbage to try and figure out a decent build before I start getting steam rolled in WF's and here is what I have come up with:

34 WL / 32 DOM
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...qxk.MsVzikkMfk

I'm looking for any constructive feedback for this build as well as any help with the many situational spells it provides. I'm not asking for a description of each spell and what it does in detail, but rather a rough outline of basic strategies against other classes. I've pretty familiar with the warlock soul and most of its workings, but the Dominator has introduced quite a bit of new buttons and I'm struggling to find the right ones in combat

Thanks in advanced for any help!

XiL

all you really want from warlock is vitality and opportunity (i get void 3 instead of charge 5 cause void bolt hurts). 32 Dom is very strong in PvP with AoE control abilities but without heals you are not going to last in PvP. You need to be able to heal up without relying on DoTs that can be dispelled or buffs than can be purged.

Chloro also gives you an additional boost to HP. You might consider going high enough in warlock for devouring shadows but unless you are good with it and radiant spores is maxed out I wouldn't sacrifice healing and HP for it.
    I was banned for 5 days for triggering the chat filter. I win the internet again.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=617285&dateline=13177  10094

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by XiL View Post
    all you really want from warlock is vitality and opportunity (i get void 3 instead of charge 5 cause void bolt hurts). 32 Dom is very strong in PvP with AoE control abilities but without heals you are not going to last in PvP. You need to be able to heal up without relying on DoTs that can be dispelled or buffs than can be purged.

Chloro also gives you an additional boost to HP. You might consider going high enough in warlock for devouring shadows but unless you are good with it and radiant spores is maxed out I wouldn't sacrifice healing and HP for it.
    I have 3/3 void bolt and 5/5 opportunity.

As far as self heals go, draining bolt, shadow life, and neddras essence all provide or reduce damage.

And my back-up plan is a Dom / Chloro build, but I want to give this build a shot first.

Rift Master

I don't look at those builds because I don't like that site. It's been linked with a company that sold in game money before.

Anyway - your post caught my eye because it was my pvp spec so I'm responding tho I rarely do to "heres my zam link" threads.

My suggestion is that you go to the test server - the reason is because dominator is going to be changed. Don't get your rotation down on a build you won't be able to use in the future. Make sure you actually like it how its going to be.

Chloro is having some pvp nerfties too - anyway all available in that test server for preview and reading.

P.S. you don't have to void bolt, if its pvp you can use dots and try to kite out of LOS to use your reconstruct - don't believe you will get away with standing there spamming dmg too long before you are noticed - ask the pyros about that - the best mage is always on the move in pvp - stand still long and you leave your range the same - if you move there's a chance you'll move out of something that was planned for you - sure you could move into something else but at least you aren't being easy - if you stand still it should be because you are trying to get hit and reflect something or you have to, like a debuff you can't get off yet or drag out a nearby rogue and you want to be bait, as examples

if i tell you nothing, it should be USE deny all the freakin time, it wont drop bleeds but it will drop a lot of other dmg
    Last edited by Fernt; 07-17-2011 at 11:50 PM.

The spec survives on much lower heals than were needed for 51 pyro. in 1.2. Full cleans, 2 different spell reflects, squirrel, transference, and warlock CDs make it easy to defend yourself and help your healers.

You have a mitigation cooldown that will work to slow incoming damage (yes it can be purge, no that doesn't make it useless). Positioning is important with this, you should not overexpose yourself; this goes away a bit with valor.

Learn to use the AE snare and timing the AE mez to opportunity procs, they will slow down incoming damage and enemy heals/escapes.
    Don't be shy about using split personality, a good time to use it is right after a fear bomb has gone off. The shades are fire and forget damage; if they are not being dumb try to stay with them and blend in. You will be difficult to target.

Radiate death is a good tool for masking Dom debuffs and prevents them from getting removed.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Shadowlander

Are there any non obvious spells that I should stay away from using? Or just really aren't / shouldn't be used at all?

Avoid using Memory Wipe in PVP.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Hethroin View Post
    Avoid using Memory Wipe in PVP.

Being one of the more obvious ones lol

I have to say, every ability in the build is hot-keyed and every so often will get used.

Mass Exhaustion harder to use well, due to it being a ground target with a cast time (people will move out).

I will usually use Death's Edict where a Whither would have done the job I wanted to do, this could be improved on sense I'm giving someone stun immunity... but I can't say that for sure sense a stunned target can't pop it's spec-dependent movement-impairment immunity.

I know I do not use my fear nearly enough, and end up releasing someone from squirrel because I squirreled someone else (I am sure I had a reason for it).

I use Choke when I don't feel like handing out stun/squirrel immunity to melees next to the silence target by using Arresting Presence.

Always make sure that a friendly target (most of the time you) is the target of Reflective Presence, it does not have faction-targeting built in (you can cast it on enemies or friendlies). You don't want it to end early because some enemy died.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Shadowlander

Well, after a few days of play I've come to not enjoy this spec at all.

Very squishy, even in group settings.

Not only that but the amount of skills per situation is unbelievable. I own a razer naga mouse and I have everyone of the 12 side keys bound 3 times over and I still find myself trying to click spells.

Not only that but the buff / debuff display in this game is absolutely horrible.

I've found myself extremely bored and frustrated with this game already.

Shadowlander

Don't bother trying to pvp with a mage right now, especially as a brand new level 50 rank 1 where you'll just instantly die if a warrior or rogue looks at you funny. If you wanted to enjoy pvp as a mage, the time to do so was in the level 20-49 brackets where quite frankly we are overpowered.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
    Don't bother trying to pvp with a mage right now, especially as a brand new level 50 rank 1 where you'll just instantly die if a warrior or rogue looks at you funny. If you wanted to enjoy pvp as a mage, the time to do so was in the level 20-49 brackets where quite frankly we are overpowered.

Well they say hindsight is 20/20

+ Reply to Thread