+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mages are boring.....

Soulwalker

Default Mages are boring.....

I'm not quiet the guy to set run parses and get all technical with just exactly how my mage is going. I just like to have fun playing the game, but I just can't help the fact I'm finding the mage class to be really boring....

As a mage, I feel there really isn't a place for us in rift atm.

Rouges and Warriors do more dps than us
    If anyone wants a healer... well thats what clerics are for

I feel this leaves us with only 1 option.... to play a utility spec :s

I don't know about the majority of you mages out there, but I'm quiet mad that since I've hit 50 the only viable spec for a mage atm is a support type spec (Archon/Chloro).

It's just boring. I was so excited when I first rolled my pyro spec, I expected HUGE dps output.... I was sorely mistaken.... we not only die easy, we also do crap dps.

Can someone tell me what the hell is the point of a mage in rift now? I'm not rerolling to another class.... I just feel ripped off atm and I hope trion fixes the mage class as soon as possible. Otherwise my subscription will probably end soon.

At the moment, trion might as well just turn off all damaging spells from mages... it wouldn't make a difference...lol

Rift Disciple

I wouldnt say mages are boring but the soul system in combination with the combat system doesnt work very well.

On paper you can play thousands of different builds but in reality you end up with like 10 playable builds actually even less. Its not so different to a normal class system with 8 classes. The advantage of a normal system is that its easier to balance the skills and spells of each class and to add more flavour and design with rotations in mind.

People pick the best spells of each soul and end up spamming them. There are no real rotations or at least no rotations by design (perhaps SC a bit).

At the end you have a one macro pyro build with elementalist for tempest or a SC build with 10 buttons while watching debuff timers and on top of that toggle 2 buttons around or you stack 4 DoTs and 2 debuffs while you rund around place ground fields and nuke here and there while using CDs and control your pet which is too stupid to use his skills on time so you macro them too and end up spamming each button.

Raiding right now is mostly about execution read running (in) (out) (away) or stop actions. Play a rogue or warrior and you spam your 1-2 macros while you concentrate fulltime on the mechanics.

A mage has to watch his timers and adapt his rotations to the mechanics and on top of that you have to watch the mechanics or you wipe yourself or the raid and after 10 wipes you had perhaps 5 perfect executions while rogues and warriors had always the same DPS which is likey 10-15% higher then yours (best case).

Is it really needed to have BS AB on top of the SC mechanics? Do we really need pyro ground fields to waste our time? Do we need pets which cant use their skills on their own?

One macro pyros should be on par with other archetypes and complex rotations should be on par in general. A bit higher with a perfect execution and a bit lower if you mess up.

So I guess its even more boring to play a one macro archetype but right now the effort vs result (risk) isnt where it should be for mages.
    Last edited by Vair; 07-17-2011 at 06:54 AM.

Soulwalker

all theorycrafting, math, parses and testing aside, i agree that its not a whole lot of fun to play a mage. I cant remember the last time i went out and did something on my own that i thought i had a good time doing afterward. Maybe its just the game itself and all classes are like this.

Soulwalker

Im sorry your not enjoying your mage much but im a Pyro/Elem, i went to Stormcaller for a bit until they turned it into a support spec so i went back to pyro as my dps spec and im also a 51 point chloro, and i am usually pulling around 1300 dps on our raid parses single target and im usually topping the healing charts as well. With Massive chloro aoe heals our clerics are always at least 300 hps below me on most GsB fights. Im half GsB/RoS/T3 and half T2 gear. Between me and this other top ranked Chloro on our shard we absolutely cannot get Lord Greenscale down without the 2 of us, if one of us goes down, its for sure a wipe. Here are a couple of tips i can offer... Check the forums for the best builds, there are plenty of guides out there...the other tip i can give is Macro your abilities into a two or three button rotation so you can focus on fight mechanics instead of your rotations and cooldowns. Staying alive during a fight And being effective will get you reinvited constantly to raids guaranteed.
    Hope this helps.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Chaios View Post
    Between me and this other top ranked Chloro on our shard we absolutely cannot get Lord Greenscale down without the 2 of us, if one of us goes down, its for sure a wipe.
    so you put out 300hps more than all the clerics and a gsb requires you and the other "top ranked" chloro on the server or it wipes.

i dont know what you are trying to show with this statement but it makes it appear your ego is a bit inflated from running with bad clerics.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorbagee View Post
    Actually, Chloro/Locks are the best aoe healers in the game right now by a pretty good margin (though I'm waiting for that to be nerfed to **** as well). In Oracle/Hylas/GS, I'm easily doing 1300 hps. Our tank healing is almost as pitiful as our damage output (regardless of build), though.

The rest of your post is spot-on. Aside from an Archon and a Chlorolock (maybe two) the only reason to even bring a mage at all is if you don't have anything else that can dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorbagee View Post
    I'm not quiet the guy to set run parses and get all technical with just exactly how my mage is going. I just like to have fun playing the game, but I just can't help the fact I'm finding the mage class to be really boring....

As a mage, I feel there really isn't a place for us in rift atm.

Rouges and Warriors do more dps than us

I feel this leaves us with only 1 option.... to play a utility spec :s

I don't know about the majority of you mages out there, but I'm quiet mad that since I've hit 50 the only viable spec for a mage atm is a support type spec (Archon/Chloro).

It's just boring. I was so excited when I first rolled my pyro spec, I expected HUGE dps output.... I was sorely mistaken.... we not only die easy, we also do crap dps.

Can someone tell me what the hell is the point of a mage in rift now? I'm not rerolling to another class.... I just feel ripped off atm and I hope trion fixes the mage class as soon as possible. Otherwise my subscription will probably end soon.

At the moment, trion might as well just turn off all damaging spells from mages... it wouldn't make a difference...lol
    yeah until trion fixes mages and tweaks us for the good, you might as well not even play

i feel pretty damn ripped off right now on my mage aswell

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Chaios View Post
    Im sorry your not enjoying your mage much but im a Pyro/Elem, i went to Stormcaller for a bit until they turned it into a support spec so i went back to pyro as my dps spec and im also a 51 point chloro, and i am usually pulling around 1300 dps on our raid parses single target and im usually topping the healing charts as well. With Massive chloro aoe heals our clerics are always at least 300 hps below me on most GsB fights. Im half GsB/RoS/T3 and half T2 gear. Between me and this other top ranked Chloro on our shard we absolutely cannot get Lord Greenscale down without the 2 of us, if one of us goes down, its for sure a wipe. Here are a couple of tips i can offer... Check the forums for the best builds, there are plenty of guides out there...the other tip i can give is Macro your abilities into a two or three button rotation so you can focus on fight mechanics instead of your rotations and cooldowns. Staying alive during a fight And being effective will get you reinvited constantly to raids guaranteed.
    Hope this helps.
    My first build was a Pyro/Elem.... I have tried so many other combination specs and tbh... most other combination specs I try which are "viable" always seem to turn out being utility specs... it's just so annoying.

Like I mean, if you like healing as a mage... well thats great. I'm sure I am one of the many who rolled a mage for "dps purposes." Now I just feel as though I've been trolled from Trion.

I knew I should have rolled a Rouge from the start

1. Great DPS
    2. From what I've seen they can tank, if not better than a warrior.
    3. They have "stealth".....

What do mages have?

1. They can heal pretty well
    2. Useful for raid buffs
    3. IMO, hopeless at dps.... considering I was expecting HUGE dps at 50 from say a Pyro spec.
    4. Everyone goes on about how they have CC... I'll be the first to admit I'm probably not the best mage, but you try playing pvp with "transmogrify" ect.... IMO the ability is useless.... cbf elaborating on this statement.
    5. They have PETS!!!! I hate having pets!!! Trion, let us create a damn good dps build that dosen't involve having freaking pets!!!!

I would rather they renamed the Mage class to "Beastmaster" or something along the lines.

It would be great to see Trion completely take a soul from the mage and reintroduce a whole new soul tree.... A petless soul tree that dosen't need the assistance of another soul tree with a pet!

Well thats my rant for now. Thanks for being my sounding board guys. I hardly ever complain, but I just feel useless playing the mage class atm.

EDIT: Just thought, it would be great to have like a pyro soul tree... but with a twist, some pushback abilities than also increase the running speed of the mage! how fun would that be? it would at least give us some kind of chance to evade enemies!
    Last edited by Zorbagee; 07-18-2011 at 01:15 AM.

+ Reply to Thread