+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dear Trion. I believe you may need to re-assess the mage class somewhat for PVP.

Default Dear Trion. I believe you may need to re-assess the mage class somewhat for PVP.

We ALL understand that you don't want stupid stuff like this to happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWgdIOcqMng
    or this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4gtVboNtpQ

That's a no brainer. The problem is, it does. It just looks a little bit different:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3l5tMLaZeI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URnTWPStW8A

The funny thing is, any time it's discussed, people throw back that mages were awesome FOREVER with fulminate and cinder crits strung together behind the unassailable wall that was GoS, so we deserve to suck now. When was that again, and how many eons did mages rule the universe throwing miniature suns at people with impunity? Oh...right...2 months back and for 6 weeks. Yes....yes it was a great time back in the glory days of the Mage. I used warriors' skulls for wine goblets and tanned rogue's testicles for a change bag. Clerics? They got to wash the gears of my Strydor...I mean mechanical steed with their magical waters.

But wait, if they don't throw that back, we're reminded that:
    Were generally happy with the current state of Warriors and are continuing to monitor a number of smaller issues involving them. If by smaller issues you mean the same kind of burst that Pyro's had, plus 1.5 times the HP AND healing debuffs of DOOM!

Now, I understand that you're trying to make the Charge abilities more useful. Frankly, I really love the whole Charge concept. When I first saw it in the tutorial back in beta, I thought: COOL! mages get finishing moves too! Why not, right? I mean, rogues and warriors have had that mechanic for almost a decade now, and they LOVE it! I was expecting some really cool spells that I could use all that charge on that would make a dramatic difference in combat, like a hard hitting knock back to get people off me, or maybe a huge wave of hot plasma erupting forth in terrible magesty, leaving a steaming path of scorched ruin in its wake! How about a damage shield that reflected all the damage an enemy did to me back at them for a 3-5 seconds! AWESOME!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNND I got internalize charge. Wow! It eats charge like a damned Langolier and provides uh...moderate damage over 3 casts and if I time it right AND get lucky, some good burst. Oh, maybe if I go WAAAAAAAAAAAY down Warlock I can get Empowered Darkness! Now that there is a damage BOOST!! Again, the entire soul is not really very bursty, and this only provides a higher level of sustained damage that any cleric can yawn through. God help you if you try to use it AND defile. You just blew it all in 3 seconds to do 2 spell casts and get MAYBE 3 ticks of Defile...maybe.

Natural Splendor looks pretty cool, but I don't want to do less damage in general so I can heal. Now, Dominator has some really fun (and when I say fun, I mean CRAZY FUN) looking abilities. Sure, they aren't useful all the time, but that's what being a Dom is all about. You got to go with the flow and control it as best you can.

Now, I admit, I'm not R6 yet, so what could I possibly know about it, right? Well, since all you "R6 or noob" *****es are fixing to be below max rank again in a patch, I guess that means I'll know as much about it as you noobs do too. What do I think could fix the mage souls in PVP? One or more of the following.

1: Survivability. Either we need more HP, or more mitigation in the way of shields that SHIELD. No, not shields that drain mana, just freakin shields. Give em a cooldown, give em the graphic of a nasty toilet bowl so we just don't want to use em until we have no choice, I don't care...but we need a CHANCE.

2: Mobility. Either remove some of the gap closers melee have at their disposal, make them more difficult to get (IE you have to spec for them far enough in that roflcopter macroing *******es can't get them), or EVERY soul needs some type of escape mechanic that is NOT part of the CC immunefest. That, or make gap closers CC and let us be immune to that just like they're immune to ours.

3: Burst damage. WE'RE MAGES! Sure there are some specs that are less bursty than others, but mages do DAMAGE! Let us do some freaking BURST! When we hit people they ought to freakin notice! You don't take a fireball or bolt of demonic dark energy to the side of the head and think "hehe, that tickled". I'm ALL for no one shots, or bursts of damage that occur so quickly it may as well be, even if it's 99 hits by a single person. Expanding the Charge mechanic could help here! Make an off GCD insta cast spell that uses all of your charge up at once, and the more you have, the harder it hits...just do something useful with it!

I have almost 6k hp in my pvp spec and gear, with 34% damage mitigation, and if a warrior or rogue can finish me off because my break free is on cooldown and I CANNOT respond, I fail to see what the difference is in that and Fulminate/cinder burst crit chains. The result is the same, player frustration.

I don't even CARE about pvp gear being required! If you have different gear for PVE situations you ought to have some for PVP situations. Suck it up, die a little bit, and get that gear. The player has SOME control over that!

Screw it. I've been up for 40 hours and I'm tired. Probably find this full of *******es when I wake up again, but I got NEWS for you! I'M THE BIGGEST ******* HERE SO SUCK IT!

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    I used warriors' skulls for wine goblets and tanned rogue's testicles for a change bag.
    Best . . . Quote . . . Ever

Rift Chaser

or this:

That's a no brainer. The problem is, it does. It just looks a little bit different:

The funny thing is, any time it's discussed, people throw back that mages were awesome FOREVER with fulminate and cinder crits strung together behind the unassailable wall that was GoS, so we deserve to suck now. When was that again, and how many eons did mages rule the universe throwing miniature suns at people with impunity? Oh...right...2 months back and for 6 weeks. Yes....yes it was a great time back in the glory days of the Mage. I used warriors' skulls for wine goblets and tanned rogue's testicles for a change bag. Clerics? They got to wash the gears of my Strydor...I mean mechanical steed with their magical waters.

Were generally happy with the current state of Warriors and are continuing to monitor a number of smaller issues involving them. If by smaller issues you mean the same kind of burst that Pyro's had, plus 1.5 times the HP AND healing debuffs of DOOM!

Now, I understand that you're trying to make the Charge abilities more useful. Frankly, I really love the whole Charge concept. When I first saw it in the tutorial back in beta, I thought: COOL! mages get finishing moves too! Why not, right? I mean, rogues and warriors have had that mechanic for almost a decade now, and they LOVE it! I was expecting some really cool spells that I could use all that charge on that would make a dramatic difference in combat, like a hard hitting knock back to get people off me, or maybe a huge wave of hot plasma erupting forth in terrible magesty, leaving a steaming path of scorched ruin in its wake! How about a damage shield that reflected all the damage an enemy did to me back at them for a 3-5 seconds! AWESOME!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNND I got internalize charge. Wow! It eats charge like a damned Langolier and provides uh...moderate damage over 3 casts and if I time it right AND get lucky, some good burst. Oh, maybe if I go WAAAAAAAAAAAY down Warlock I can get Empowered Darkness! Now that there is a damage BOOST!! Again, the entire soul is not really very bursty, and this only provides a higher level of sustained damage that any cleric can yawn through. God help you if you try to use it AND defile. You just blew it all in 3 seconds to do 2 spell casts and get MAYBE 3 ticks of Defile...maybe.

Natural Splendor looks pretty cool, but I don't want to do less damage in general so I can heal. Now, Dominator has some really fun (and when I say fun, I mean CRAZY FUN) looking abilities. Sure, they aren't useful all the time, but that's what being a Dom is all about. You got to go with the flow and control it as best you can.

Now, I admit, I'm not R6 yet, so what could I possibly know about it, right? Well, since all you "R6 or noob" *****es are fixing to be below max rank again in a patch, I guess that means I'll know as much about it as you noobs do too. What do I think could fix the mage souls in PVP? One or more of the following.

1: Survivability. Either we need more HP, or more mitigation in the way of shields that SHIELD. No, not shields that drain mana, just freakin shields. Give em a cooldown, give em the graphic of a nasty toilet bowl so we just don't want to use em until we have no choice, I don't care...but we need a CHANCE.

2: Mobility. Either remove some of the gap closers melee have at their disposal, make them more difficult to get (IE you have to spec for them far enough in that roflcopter macroing *******es can't get them), or EVERY soul needs some type of escape mechanic that is NOT part of the CC immunefest. That, or make gap closers CC and let us be immune to that just like they're immune to ours.

3: Burst damage. WE'RE MAGES! Sure there are some specs that are less bursty than others, but mages do DAMAGE! Let us do some freaking BURST! When we hit people they ought to freakin notice! You don't take a fireball or bolt of demonic dark energy to the side of the head and think "hehe, that tickled". I'm ALL for no one shots, or bursts of damage that occur so quickly it may as well be, even if it's 99 hits by a single person. Expanding the Charge mechanic could help here! Make an off GCD insta cast spell that uses all of your charge up at once, and the more you have, the harder it hits...just do something useful with it!

I have almost 6k hp in my pvp spec and gear, with 34% damage mitigation, and if a warrior or rogue can finish me off because my break free is on cooldown and I CANNOT respond, I fail to see what the difference is in that and Fulminate/cinder burst crit chains. The result is the same, player frustration.

I don't even CARE about pvp gear being required! If you have different gear for PVE situations you ought to have some for PVP situations. Suck it up, die a little bit, and get that gear. The player has SOME control over that!

Screw it. I've been up for 40 hours and I'm tired. Probably find this full of *******es when I wake up again, but I got NEWS for you! I'M THE BIGGEST ******* HERE SO SUCK IT!

/sign

Soulwalker

Default Ridicolous

1 e 2 video show an mage atk low lvs and low gs ..3 and 4 show clear the mage are ridicolous vs warriors, the warrior have half of hp and mage full healt and warrior kill mage in secunds... warrior players are afraid they fix it.

Plane Touched

i dont understand why you show clips of mages in another games, who cares what was back in 2004, its like i will go and post videos of rift parachamp 2 globaling ppl in SWTOR forum and say jedi sentinel is op.

Rift Master

This is another that fits the bill of what shouldn't be.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Q_CTbrO2M
    i like their music better too
    just put this into youtube and there are plenty
    "pvp rift warrior, this month"
    Last edited by Fernt; 07-16-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Shadowlander

Warrior working as intended.

Shadowlander

statement ^ see no response must not be an issue. We all know devs love coming into the forums and saying sorry we did f things up. Every game I have played since 1998 they only can pat themselves on the back no matter how bad they F something up.

So don't expect a response is what I'm saying: they wont give you one they are happy to pretend everything is peachy and swell while wearing those rose colored glasses.

XiL

Mage is more durable and does more damage in PvP.
    I was banned for 5 days for triggering the chat filter. I win the internet again.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=617285&dateline=13177  10094

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by XiL View Post
    Mage is more durable and does more damage in PvP.
    You sir troll way to much. Show us the proof lets see the almighty in action.

Spamming 3 buttons means he is pro right?
    Cataclysm broke WoW, but resilience will fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lloigor View Post
    /sign
    awesome symbol
    Last edited by Arcimedes; 07-16-2011 at 06:34 PM.

or this:

The funny thing is, any time it's discussed, people throw back that mages were awesome FOREVER with fulminate and cinder crits strung together behind the unassailable wall that GoS, so we deserve to suck now. When was that again, and how many eons did mages rule the universe throwing miniature suns at people with impunity? Oh...right...2 months back and for 6 weeks. Yes....yes it was a great time back in the glory days of the Mage. I used warriors' skulls for wine goblets and tanned rogue's testicles for a change bag. Clerics? They got to wash the gears of my Strydor...I mean mechanical steed with their magical waters.

You're a disgrace to anyone who knows how to play your class. You have a dominator tree and you are really complaining about warriors?

Not to mention with 2 abilities you literally drain a warriors entire energy bar. You GET:

Split Personality which mirror's yourself and pretty much kills a warrior in about 3 seconds.

Storm Shackle which is a complete counter to warrior's, use it once and you'll kill any warrior with ease.

You have a spec that literally counters a warrior and you spend hours creating this thread. /facepalm

Dominator has one fatal flaw: It is totally reliant on cooldowns. If a warrior charges you while your power drains and CC's are cooling down then you're through unless you can use other control souls or dps souls to lay him out. But that means you have to spend so many points so that Dominator loses it's force. And split personality has a flaw as well: it can be purged. And I hear it's getting nerfed.

You need to look for shortcomings in yourself before you look for them in others. Otherwise, you're just a fat bluff and your word means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcimedes View Post
    You're a disgrace to anyone who knows how to play your class. You have a dominator tree and you are really complaining about warriors?

Not to mention with 2 abilities you literally drain a warriors entire energy bar. You GET:

Split Personality which mirror's yourself and pretty much kills a warrior in about 3 seconds.

Storm Shackle which is a complete counter to warrior's, use it once and you'll kill any warrior with ease.

You have a spec that literally counters a warrior and you spend hours creating this thread. /facepalm

Actually I spent 3.5 to 4 minutes creating this thread after being up for nearly 2 days with no sleep, working, but hey, apparently you believe me to be at best ignorant, or more likely an inbred cretin who jammed a q-tip into my ear a bit too far.

Let me tell you a little something about how to communicate with people. There are basically two different types of communicators. High context and low context. High context communicators take into account not only the literal vocal or written words being transmitted in the communication cycle, but also the context in which they are given. Simply, you, as one of the intended recipients of my transmission, can decode my words from the first post as a mage whining about how hard warriors hit, or you can include the context in which that portion of the post is made which indicates more accurately that I am against ANY class having access to a combination of skills that leave players with no choice but to die giving no response.

I offer several statements that anyone with more than third grade reading level and a full working frontal lobe may have noticed in regards to my anti "one shot" platform. Now, most people consider high context communicators to be "better" than low context. Do you know why that is? Well because I'm feeling magnanimous, I'll tell you. It makes for a more complete picture provided to the recipient, which increases the likely hood of shared understanding between both parties!

In case that was too much for you, let me paraphrase in low context(the TLR version):

You're a god damn idiot who needs to shut up and go back to your two macro keys. Stop crying that a Dom beat you somewhere(which is what I read in the context of your post). That means you've got the foresight, planning, and reason of a 2 year old going after a cup of jello pudding on a 500 degree gas stove top. We LAUGH at you here. Every. Single. One. Of. Us. You are the guy that still keeps us playing mages because no matter how bad it gets, we know there is, and always will be, you.

Incidentally, this was another 6 minutes, but I also stopped to check out a couple pictures of Bianca Beauchamp for some period of time. I am unsure exactly how long.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast